Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about duty fees for Canadians Ordering from Thurston Bros....

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I just received the fit jacket for my Aero Seven order (pics to follow in another thread :) ) from TB. I paid about $130 for duty, GST and handing fees for it. I'm returning the fit jacket and plan to order a custom Aero seven. Once I receive the custom jacket, am I going to get charged duty, GST fees again?

Thx

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hello,

I just received the fit jacket for my Aero Seven order (pics to follow in another thread :) ) from TB. I paid about $130 for duty, GST and handing fees for it. I'm returning the fit jacket and plan to order a custom Aero seven. Once I receive the custom jacket, am I going to get charged duty, GST fees again?

Thx

Hi Radz,

We'll mark the custom jacket as an exchange, both in the paperwork and on the box, so that should do the trick and you won't have to pay Canadian Customs a second time. However, you should keep any receipts from your recent Customs payment, as well as the receipt for the shipping of the fit jacket back to us in case they ask for proof that it is an exchange...

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Hi Radz,

We'll mark the custom jacket as an exchange, both in the paperwork and on the box, so that should do the trick and you won't have to pay Canadian Customs a second time. However, you should keep any receipts from your recent Customs payment, as well as the receipt for the shipping of the fit jacket back to us in case they ask for proof that it is an exchange...
Thanks for the response Carrie. I just sent you the fit pics of the fit jacket :)

the loco

One of the Regulars
When it's sent by USPS (or Royal Mail from the UK), would say Canada Post demands the taxes for 2 out of 10 packets. However, UPS, FedEx and DHL always collect the taxes before delivery.

Not sure how the thing works with returns, though. By logic they shouldn't charge twice the taxes, but who knows.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
You will need Thurston to send you a document stating clearly that the jacket has been returned and your money has been refunded. You will need to send a copy of that document to Canada Customs along with the form requesting refund of the GST and duties (I think that form is on the back of the Canada Customs receipt). Keep copies of everything. Then wait. But don't expect any money back - I've done this twice and they just fob me off with a letter saying "we don't agree" or "you need to get more paperwork and re-submit". Of course they don't send the documents back, so you have to re-submit with copies, etc. And they don't care that you sent full documentation the first time. It's the risk with buying internationally. And don't whine about being screwed, since Customs Canada only applies GST and duties to pricey objects... 99% of the stuff I get internationally is ignored by them, so I don't mind being hit once in a while on something big. Heck, maybe it will all work out fine for you. If so, count yourself lucky.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
You will need Thurston to send you a document stating clearly that the jacket has been returned and your money has been refunded. You will need to send a copy of that document to Canada Customs along with the form requesting refund of the GST and duties (I think that form is on the back of the Canada Customs receipt). Keep copies of everything. Then wait. But don't expect any money back - I've done this twice and they just fob me off with a letter saying "we don't agree" or "you need to get more paperwork and re-submit". Of course they don't send the documents back, so you have to re-submit with copies, etc. And they don't care that you sent full documentation the first time. It's the risk with buying internationally. And don't whine about being screwed, since Customs Canada only applies GST and duties to pricey objects... 99% of the stuff I get internationally is ignored by them, so I don't mind being hit once in a while on something big. Heck, maybe it will all work out fine for you. If so, count yourself lucky.

This hasn't been our experience...as long as we mark the custom jacket as an exchange, the customer does not pay Canadian customs the second time around...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran