Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

questions about piercing

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Recently, a friend got her belly button pierced. After seeing the very pretty jewelry that she got for it, I'm starting to think about it. I have a couple questions for those who have their belly buttons pierced. Can you take the jewelry out for a day or two and put it back in, like your ears? If you wear tight clothing, does it bother the piercing, in particular, girdles, corsets, ect? Do you display yours a lot or is it mainly for yourself? The last question is because while I love the pretties that I could wear, after having a couple kids, I have too many stretch marks to feel comfortable showing my belly. My hubby thinks it's silly to get a piercing no one would ever see.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
it is all about what you want, many people has piercings that aren't meant for the world to see.

I got my belly button pierced many years ago, but it wasn't for me, so I let it grew back within a few years. Now I only have a tiny pinpoint scar that I never notices. I would say wearing a girdle or something smooth over the piercing would be better, because then you won't have your high waisted skirts & pants to irritate the piercing (since the clothes stop at my bellybutton on me) or even tug at it. Nothing is worse than having it getting tangled up in threads from your clothes lol (don't worry, it happens VERY rarely)

I would say go for it, it is an 'innocent' place and you can decide if it is one you want to the world to see or not. I never showed mine, never wore clothes that would reveal it, but I just liked it for what it was. It isnt bad getting done either, it is over in splitsecond!

Edit: It depends on the person, but I would say yes, you can take it out for a day or two when you have had the piercing in for quite a while.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I had mine done and found I couldn't really take it out without having difficulty getting it back in. After having had it done for about 4 years, I took it out when I was wearing a corset as it was uncomfortable, and couldn't get it back in afterwards. This could just be me though, I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

None of my piercings I have ever been able to take out for any length of time & put back in, well not without a fight & some blood anyway :rolleyes:

My belly button was pierced on my 18th birthday and I had to take it out early last year because it, for some reason started to hurt. It had never bothered me before, except when I first had it done (which is the same for all piercings). I used to show it off, as when I was younger I had a lovely flat tummy & wore baggy jeans, something I've not really been comfortable doing for quite a few years, so it ended up that noone ever saw it. My tongue I had pierced also, and noone knew I had it done unless I stuck my tongue out. I am currently totally piercing free for the first time since I was 18. I'll be honest, I'm not totally comfortable with it. Considering having my lip pierced for the 8th time now lol

You want a piercing, you have a piercing. I think it's totally up to the individual. *ahem* screw what anyone else thinks :D

Oh, I used to wear proper gothy corsets too, and never had a problem...

Smuterella

One Too Many
I had mine done when I was 18 and kept it for about 7 years, but it never healed properly despite great attention to cleaning it. I'm really pleased that I took it out. I'd say don't do it, they do catch on clothes and show through clothes and generally irritate. Or at least mine did.

My girlfriend has no problem at all with hers though, but she wears mens clothing and very low slung trousers at that so no chance of it catching on anything.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had mine pierced since I was 18, that's 10 years now. It will take a bit to heal, because of the waist of clothing rubbing against it and such, but once mine healed I had almost no problems with it. I do not ever wear midriff bearing clothing and never have, so it's only visible when I wear a bikini or by accident, but I love it.

The only problem I've ever had was when I got a piece of jewelry that was too short for my piercing, and I left it in for long enough that I couldn't put regular length pieces in anymore, and had to get it stretched, which hurt worse than the original piercing. But it was no problem and it healed quickly.

I say do it. You'll love it! I never take it out, but that's because I think I look weird without it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've had mine done for over 10 years and I love it. Girdles and tight clothing don't bother it and I've never had any issues. As for taking it out, every person and every piercing is different. If i take my navel piercing out, I'll have problems getting it back in, even after a short time. My lip piercing can go maybe 2 days until I have problems, my nose much longer, and I won't tell you about the others :)

Getting a piercing, like getting a tattoo, is a personal statement to yourself, not a statement to others. It doesn't matter if anyone's going to see it. I will be honest and tell you that I have a variety of piercings that aren't meant for anyone to see - if it mattered that people saw them, I would've stuck with my ears or my face.

A few things that you should know - navel piercings, with the exception of surface skin piercings, are the most difficult to heal, and take the longest. They are very prone to infection and the body has a high tendency to reject them, sometimes years after getting the piercing. Unfortunately, that's just a chance people take when they get piercings.

If you want any more information, you can go to Tribalectic.com, where there is a lot of medical information, cleaning information, and tons of personal experiences provided and sorted out by piercing type.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone, for your opinions. I guess if girdles, ect don't really bother it, than I wouldn't need to take it out.
The rejection thing is a bit concerning, since I do seem to be sensitive. I can only wear sterling silver earrings. However, the more I think about it, the more I want to do it. I'm gonna give it a week or so to think about, though.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dollydaydream said:
Piercings like this are usually done with surgical steel so being allergic shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly. Ask first. If they tell you they will pierce with anything other that surgical stainless steel, turn around and walk out the door. Get recommendations from friends about places to go. Ask to see the shop's health certificate. Also, trust your instincts. If the place doesn't look spotless to you, or if the people in the shop give you a weird vibe, walk away.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I see someone posted tribalectic.com. you should go to www.bmezine.com it's alot better. But there's a is alot of.. hardcore stuff on there but if you stick to the area about naval piercings you'll be fine!

Kamikat, everything you asked cannot be answered by any one person. These things are different depending on the person. For example some people may be able to leave their piercing out for days without it closing, some it may only be an hour.

Don't use anything harsh to clean it with, stick to sea salt soaks a couple of times a day, try not to give into temptation of fiddling around with it and don't touch it with dirty fingers!. (boil some water and mix with a little sea salt and pour into an egg cup. Once the water is cooler and the salt is desolved them use a cotton bud or q-tip to wipe away the crusties and then put the top of the egg cup over your piercing and soak it for a couple of minutes).

It will get irritated by certain items of clothing because of where it is, and not just clothing but furniture etc. But once it's healed it should be fine.

I don't show mine off too much because I am a podgy little thing and not proud of my tummy, but I still like having it so as long as you want it just go for it and if you don't like it then do what darhling did and remove it.

I know my fair share about piercings and currently have about 28 or so, so if you need anymore advice don't hesitate to ask :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I had a double naval piercing (at the top) for over 10 years - got them done at 16 and took them out last year for an operation, and didn't bother putting it back in. This tread inspired me to poke it with an earring and I reckon I could get them back in! I might have a go later with something properly sterilised, just to see.

However they were a complete pain to heal, I seem to remember it took well over 9 months for them to completely heal. But then I did get the two done at once. I'd say you will probably not be able to wear girdles and cinchers while they are healing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
i_am_the_scruff said:
I see someone posted tribalectic.com

I went to that site a lot when I was stretching my ears. Its a great resource.
I took all of my piercings out about a year ago. I outgrew it.

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:

LD

Me too. My naval was the last to go. And I took my ear plugs out a few months back too, though they will never fully shrink unless I have them stitched up.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:

I have a good friend who is a professional piercer, and that is the site he always recommends. It has been extremely useful to me over the years.

I took all of my ear piercings out a couple years ago - all 16 of them. Some of them were stretched and I started wanting to wear normal earrings. Then I discovered clip-ons and have only worn those since. Several of my ear piercings were guaged and still haven't gone back to normal. I left all of my body piercings, as those mostly aren't visible.

But that is the joy of piercings. You're allowed to outgrow it, because when you do, all you have to do is take them out. It's not permanent, and that's a beautiful thing for those of us with commitment issues.

dani

Familiar Face
i have had mine pierced since i was 15 or 16, and can leave mine out for months, and still put it back in with no problem, same with my eyebrow. now my lip was another story an hour went by, and it closed up, same with one of my other piercings i had. it would probably be very uncomfy under a corset, or anything like that.

lizylou

Familiar Face
dani said:
i have had mine pierced since i was 15 or 16, and can leave mine out for months, and still put it back in with no problem, same with my eyebrow. now my lip was another story an hour went by, and it closed up, same with one of my other piercings i had. it would probably be very uncomfy under a corset, or anything like that.

You must have magical skin, I wish mine was as great to me as yours is:)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
For years I wanted a tongue piercing so bad, but a friend of mine damaged hids teeth badly with his.. I have definitly outgrown the desire to get piercings, but I am still very much drawn to get tattoos, even though I know I shouldn't get any more :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou