Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Peacoat, so a 1966 peacoat should be not so slim compared to '40 and '50 ones. I think it should fit me fine with my '38 chest, i asked the seller to send me measurements of the garment because i want to check if what I read in the lounge, especially your guidelines, are valid for that officer peacoat.
I found a lot of standard black buttons on ebay! that's good so i can change them with a low expense.

Actually the WWII models were the slimmest of all the years. The late 40s were just a little slimmer than the late 70s. The cut changed after the war. Don't know exactly when, but I do know that by 1949 the pea coats had a more generous cut than the coats made during the war. I tend to think the change occurred just after the war when the style changed from 8 buttons showing on the front to 6 buttons showing

comp_wiz101: Yes in your situation a garment bag with a moth ball inside should work just fine. Or as Guygardner suggested, a vacuum sealed bag would work also. Or actually any sealed bag the moths can't penetrate would be fine.

As long as the coat is worn on a regular basis, the moths don't seem to be a problem. It's when the coats are stored and inactive that the moths find them. At least that has been my experience with wool garments.

libra1369

New in Town
Thanks Scott.

It is a 1978 peacoat. It was issued with the pewter buttons. The Navy went with that type of button for a few years, starting in 1974. All coats, even though not initially issued with pewter buttons, were required to have the standard black plastic 1 1/4" buttons replaced with the 1" pewter buttons by 1975 or 1976. In 1984 the pewter buttons were ended, and the Navy returned to the 1 1/4" black plastic button.

For more about these vintage coats, see http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

And welcome to the Lounge.

Mr. Peacoat.
I want to if it a warm coat. It says its 100% wool and black satin. If its a good coat I know that its not a kersey wool. If Its wearing the coat. I like its black. Mr.peacoat let know

Peacoat

Bartender
It is a good warm coat. The shell is the old style Kersey wool that is a tighter weave than the current Melton fabric. While the color may appear black when inside, if you are outside and place the coat against a known black object, you will see that it is actually a deep midnight blue. In fact this should be apparent when outside in the sun. It only appears black while inside or in dark or cloudy conditions outside.

The cotton lining in the pockets will be fine for your climate. I have found the corduroy gives a bit more warmth than the cotton and is useful when in a cold climate, such as NYC, where frequent walking is done. Then the hands may be worn without gloves and placed in the pockets for warmth--just one less thing to keep up with while in the Village clubs. I have found the corduroy is warmer, but not essential as the pockets are inside the wool shell, and that normally provides plenty of warmth.

PC.

libra1369

New in Town
Thank you Mr. Peacoat for the info. I didnt wanted to be melton wool. No wonder its heavy im proud for the find. I just bought it for $8.00 at second hand store, when I got it in mint condition but missing most buttons. Im really happy with my peacoat. Do you have any spare buttons that you send me or sell me. Thank you!

libra1369

New in Town
A little late thank you for change my post to where Mr. Peacoat can see it. Thank you for welcoming me in the lounge. THAN YOU! Scott

Boss77

New in Town
I just re-read your post on dating peacoats and I recently purchased a coat that fits your description of the 1949 coat (same tag, double stitching 3 inches above the cuff and one row of stitching just above the cuff, wide lapels, etc.), however the coat has 8 matching buttons. Do you think this was the original configuration or someone just added 2 buttons under the collar to make it seem older?

Peacoat

Bartender
I just re-read your post on dating peacoats and I recently purchased a coat that fits your description of the 1949 coat (same tag, double stitching 3 inches above the cuff and one row of stitching just above the cuff, wide lapels, etc.), however the coat has 8 matching buttons. Do you think this was the original configuration or someone just added 2 buttons under the collar to make it seem older?

Does it have a throat latch, or buttons for a throat latch? Best thing is to post a photograph or two so I can see what you have.

DMazz

New in Town
Hello,

I have recently purchased an unissued WWII/1940's Pea Coat in mint condition after waiting years for one to pop up in my size. All the details seem to be right, from the 10 buttons, the stitching on the cuffs, the "Naval Depot" tag, the trim fit, the midnight blue kersey wool, and the throat latch. My question is about some stitching that seems to be apparent on most, if not all, of the WWII Pea Coats that I have seen (I am by no means an expert, and I was hoping "Peacoat" or anyone else can chime in).

On the underside of the collar, WWII Pea Coats I have seen have triangular patterned stitching that runs from the top of the collar to where the collar attaches to the body of the coat. The collar is then usually sewn to the body of the coat where it shows multiple parallel lines of stitching. My Pea Coat does NOT have that stitching. It is instead more simple and clean looking, but I still enjoy the triangular stitching a bit more as it suggest more authenticity, in my opinion. What does this say about the Pea Coat I purchased?

I would post a photo of mine, but this is my first post and I cannot. Thanks in advance.

Peacoat

Bartender
What I have found about pea coats is there are always exceptions to the rules. If 99 out of 100 coats have a particular feature, there may be one that does not. The lack of collar stitching doesn't take away from the authenticity of the coat if it has the other hallmarks of a WWII coat.

I'm not sure there is a minimum number of posts before one may post photographs. My understanding is that even newbies may post photos. Look at the bottom of the page where it tells what you may and may not do on the forum. If it says "

DMazz

New in Town
Thank you Mr. Peacoat for the response; you made my day. 90% of my Pea Coat knowledge came from either you or this forum, and it is a pleasure being here. After the all the research and time I have taken to buy the coat, I was worried that it wasn't authentic. You are correct in the fact that I can post photos, that was my mistake. I've sent it off to the dry cleaners and I will be able to post photos soon, if requested. The build quality of this coat is just outstanding. These coats were made better than any coat out there today. It will be Pea Coat weather in NYC today. Too bad my coat is at the cleaners...

Peacoat

Bartender
I well know what you mean when you say peacoat weather in NYC as I have worn mine on many a cold day and night in the city. I wore my original size 40 up there back when I didn't always need a sweater like I do now when the temp drops to below freezing.

Yes, please post some pictures.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thank you Mr. Peacoat for the response; you made my day. 90% of my Pea Coat knowledge came from either you or this forum, and it is a pleasure being here. After the all the research and time I have taken to buy the coat, I was worried that it wasn't authentic. You are correct in the fact that I can post photos, that was my mistake. I've sent it off to the dry cleaners and I will be able to post photos soon, if requested. The build quality of this coat is just outstanding. These coats were made better than any coat out there today. It will be Pea Coat weather in NYC today. Too bad my coat is at the cleaners...

Pick it up in the morning. Tomorrow will be Pea Coat weather here in the city, as well. It will probably be one of your last opportunities to wear it this season.

- Ian

Dodo

Familiar Face
Just received my 1966 kersey wool officer pea coat, i'm really happy, i like it very much, kersey wool is unbelivable, never thought could be made a so heavy wool jacket!! for the price i paid it's a real deal. i want to thank mr. peacoat for helping me choose the right size and for providing tons of infos on this great garment. Defenitely size 36 is my size, just a tad long but chest, shoulder and arms are perfect, even with a suit jacket on. Wearing it I appreciate even the golden buttons (with american eagle instead of the anchor) so i think i will not change them!
I think i'll look for another one in kersey wool and with ordinary buttons....

Peacoat

Bartender
Great, glad you got a nice one. Yes, rather than change the buttons from the way the coat was issued, I would just get another coat with the plastic buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany