Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Neither, Mr P (they're plain small and dished - like the profile of USN buttons on a G-1 or M-422) - diameter 0.5".
I'm more of a 43" (fall between sizes), so it's just a mite snug...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here is a selection of images of the aforementioned peacoat (taken in direct sunlight).
Please note that this is straight out of the parcel (it needs a dry clean and some minor stitching to close up several small openings on the sleeve, the rear neck and the shoulder seams. Nothing serious and aside from the replacement buttons it's in great, sturdy condition.

DSCF0325_zpsik2vhwzu.jpg

DSCF0332_zpsuvpcirrb.jpg

DSCF0331_zps5fj76m9e.jpg

DSCF0330_zpsuusvba9c.jpg

DSCF0326_zpslahkdls9.jpg

DSCF0335_zpstxdsmruw.jpg

DSCF0334_zpswavz37m8.jpg

DSCF0329_zpsn8gwqowz.jpg

DSCF0327_zpsguq21tux.jpg

DSCF0328_zpsxnssu4pz.jpg

sam 2000

New in Town
This is a fascinating thread.
Never knew there was so much info on one garment.

I have an unusual pea coat.
It is DSCP Sterling brand USN w/ contract # etc..
It is 6 gold button front,
but has sewn in epaulettes straps w/ button on each to shoulder,
(Similar to an Army uniform, not the shoulder board loops).

Does anyone know of this type of Peacoat?
Maybe for Merchant Marines or something?

Thanks

Peacoat

Bartender
That is a current issue officer's reefer. The small straps on the shoulders are for attaching rank boards. The gold buttons are authorized for officers' and chiefs' peacoats. Chiefs do not wear rank on their coats. But in truth, neither officers nor chiefs much wear peacoats anymore as they are both authorized to wear the bridgecoat. Both prefer the bridgecoat over the peacoat.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC.

sam 2000

New in Town
Thanks Peacoat for the reply.
So it's a Reefer coat. Cool!

Apparently you can not upload photos here,
so am going to try to draw what the shoulder
tab things looks like if the formatting survives posting.
(Ignore the"..." just used for spacers.)

.... _________________
../................................|
/ ..O ............................|
\ .................................|
..\__________________ |

Collar .......................... Sleeve
side ............................ side

Have not seen photos on here with this on shoulders
of the peacoat/reefer coats. Just the loops for the hard
shoulder boards.
Looks like you can pin the metal rank devices on this one.

Last edited:

zedeffe

New in Town
o5gwt2.jpg

Va3Ftw.jpg

Hi, I'm new, but rather happy to share this peacoat I got off eBay recently. I'm rather small in stature so I took a risk getting this size 32 instead of a 34 but I'm pleased with it! I suppose this was a chief's coat? It has no loops for shoulder boards though.

Any thoughts on whether I should replace the gold buttons with bakelite buttons?

Last edited:

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
o5gwt2.jpg

Va3Ftw.jpg

Hi, I'm new, but rather happy to share this peacoat I got off eBay recently. I'm rather small in stature so I took a risk getting this size 32 instead of a 34 but I'm pleased with it! I suppose this was a chief's coat? It has no loops for shoulder boards though.

Any thoughts on whether I should replace the gold buttons with bakelite buttons?

Looks like a nice excellent condition coat. Probably a late WWII or post war. It could be a naval officer coat from the Naval Academy since it has the gold buttons? Or maybe the owner had gold buttons put on it? Which buttons do you think you like best?

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, it is a 1945 tag, so it could be late WWII or early post war, as Spoon said.

Back during that time period, Chiefs wore peacoats, not bridgecoats. So without the shoulder straps for the rank boards, I would say it was a Chief's peacoat.

I would leave the buttons alone and keep the coat in its original condition. Appears to be in excellent condition. A size 32 is rare, even for that time frame.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC.

Edit Note: I neglected to mention this in the original post, but the Bakelite buttons are the very old type and hard to find today. Plastic buttons are the ones most readily associate with peacoats for the past 70 years or so. I don't know when the plastic replaced the Bakelite, but it was a long time ago. Even my WWII coats have the black plastic buttons.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Peacoat for the reply.
So it's a Reefer coat. Cool!

Apparently you can not upload photos here,
so am going to try to draw what the shoulder
tab things looks like if the formatting survives posting.
(Ignore the"..." just used for spacers.)

.... _________________
../................................|
/ ..O ............................|
\ .................................|
..\__________________ |

Collar .......................... Sleeve
side ............................ side

Have not seen photos on here with this on shoulders
of the peacoat/reefer coats. Just the loops for the hard
shoulder boards.
Looks like you can pin the metal rank devices on this one.

I haven't seen this configuration on peacoats, only the straps for the rank shoulder boards. It appears to be the standard military epaulets. My Army uniform coats have this design, but not my bridgecoat or any of my peacoats. Maybe one of our Navy types will have an answer.

Edit Note: I thought of this after posting the message, but perhaps the epaulets were added by a subsequent purchaser to give a more military feel to the peacoat? Look to see if the material is the same as on the peacoat itself and if there is any evidence of an add on. It is a long shot but worth a try.

You won't be able to download photos until you have about 10 posts on the forum. I will try and send you a personal message with my email address, but I don't think the PM feature will work until you have more than just a few posts.

Last edited:

sam 2000

New in Town
No, the epaulettes seem to be original.
The colour is exactly the same cloth.

The coat seems to be of very good quality
and well made.

Thank you for your info.

Peacoat

Bartender
Most interesting. I have never see a peacoat, or even pictures of a peacoat, with epaulets. Nor have I ever even heard about such a configuration. Maybe someone has knowledge and can enlighten us.

EarlGrey

New in Town
I've been scouring the internet trying to get a sense for Kersey wool peacoats. Prices have increased a bit since the days of people claiming to find cheap vintage peacoats! 200+ for a Kersey wool peacoat, and VT.com has them topping at about 300, give or take. At this price, do people still recommend trying to find a vintage Kersey wool peacoat? Scoring a Sterlingwear 100% wool peacoat seems to be a much better value proposition these days...

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I've been scouring the internet trying to get a sense for Kersey wool peacoats. Prices have increased a bit since the days of people claiming to find cheap vintage peacoats! 200+ for a Kersey wool peacoat, and VT.com has them topping at about 300, give or take. At this price, do people still recommend trying to find a vintage Kersey wool peacoat? Scoring a Sterlingwear 100% wool peacoat seems to be a much better value proposition these days...
What size do you need? If it's a common size it shouldn't take too long to find an excellent Kersey coat. The larger the size the larger the price though. Finding these coats has turned into a year round process. I have a few Kersey coats in size 46 and 46L. I had to scour ebay everyday for a long time to find them all. The prices at VT have gone quite high. You can find cheaper prices on ebay, but it does take homework. Hopefully you won't have to settle for a Sterlingwear as the Kerseys are quite superior.

Peacoat

Bartender

There is no comparison in the quality of the wool shell between the Kersey and the Melton. The Kersey is far superior, plus it is more wind and rain resistant. I would hold out for the Kersey. As Spoon says, the difficulty of your search is dependent on your size. The smaller the size, the easier the search. What is your peacoat size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot