Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions Concerning Biltmore Hats

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I see that Biltmore may be going out of business but some web sites still have them. I would like to get one, but with the company having trouble, I wonder if the quality has been going downhill, as part of the problem. Does anyone have any fairly recent experience with Biltmore hats? How is the quality, in case I do get one?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Their only problem was with not being able to keep up with orders so they lost several distributors. That was about 4 years ago. So if they aren't as common at shops as they used to be, it's because the shops stopped carrying their line when orders didn't show up.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you watch the video on their website you'll see Bencraft quoted saying that the quality of Biltmore is better than Stetson or Borsalino.

I saw Biltmore hats at the Magic menswear expo in Vegas a few years back. I talked to the owner and and checked out their felts. I'd have to own one to see how their quality is today. I know their hat's from about 15 years ago were pretty soft and durable. The last one I had was from back then and I think I gave it to a friend since I didn't wear it.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I like the Biltmore quality

I own three Biltmores and each one is of very good quality. I would not hesitate to get another. As a matter of fact, I just returned from Canada and found several Biltmores in a hat shop outside Niagara Falls. Had I been traveling alone instead of with my wife, I probably would have gotten two more on the spot.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Their quality and trimming are top notch. I really hope they can survive this time. The last few months have been a problem for the factory. They were closed for some time due to a lack of financing. Biltmore is the last local factory that will customize a hat to the stores request. They have the support of six major hat stores but they need to find a financial backer who will keep the factory going.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I purchased a Biltmore in December 2008 formed of their Rosellini felt and it was easily the nicest modern production hat at it's price tag that I have purchased.

Easily.

The felt was laughably nice, and the sweatband was too die for. I mean it... tooo diieee fooorrrr! Best sweatband I've ever had the pleasure of suctioning to my crown.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
wgiceman said:
I own three Biltmores and each one is of very good quality. I would not hesitate to get another. As a matter of fact, I just returned from Canada and found several Biltmores in a hat shop outside Niagara Falls. Had I been traveling alone instead of with my wife, I probably would have gotten two more on the spot.

I'm the same way when out with my wife. When she's not around, suddenly the guilt-o-meter stops working!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Biltmore continues to manufacture fur felt hats among the best available today.

The sweat, lining, ribbon, and felt are all fine quality; keep in mind that all Biltmore felt is of the sueded or velour type. Compared to Akubras, Borsas, modern custom/bespokes, and vintage, the felt is "robust," meaning particularly thick and with a soft initial hand that nevertheless does not ever develop a really pliable, broken-in feel. Though hearty and long wearing, Biltmores somehow just do not seem quite "fine." Further, no matter the style, its hats all have a rather blocky appearance to my eye. These are somewhat subjective attributes and largely dovetail with my personal prefererences in a hat, so take this at what it's worth to you.

Having friends with several Biltmores, I'm very familiar with them, but have actually acquired only one, the Tyrolean. Here's why: I couldn't find anyone else making such an alpine hat when I was looking, so I got the only one available and am very happy with it, though it doesn't get worn too much anymore.

As for comparison shopping, when I want a certain style and narrow my choices, when it comes down to the Akubra or the Biltmore, the Akubra wins every time because it's a somewhat better all-around hat and, dollarwise, a much better value.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Wow, you guys have me majorly iimpressed here. OK, now a follow up question: I want a dark brown Rosellini. I only see "black oak" available for what I want, but it looks really, really dark. Does anyone have one and can you speak to whether it's almost black, or not?

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

I posted these [ new hats] last week, but here they are again. Two [ I think] very fine, well made Biltmores.
Good Hunting :D

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Blackthorn said:
Wow, you guys have me majorly iimpressed here. OK, now a follow up question: I want a dark brown Rosellini. I only see "black oak" available for what I want, but it looks really, really dark. Does anyone have one and can you speak to whether it's almost black, or not?

My buddy has a Rossellini Luauro that he got from menhats.com in the color it calls "black oak (dark brown)" in its catalogue and online This is nowhere close to black and much lighter than what I'd term dark brown. In the Biltmore color scheme, "black oak" is lighter than "chocolate" but darker than "brown." I'd say it's pretty close to the color of a Hershey's Milk Chocolate candy bar, perhaps a tad lighter, with an ever-so-subtle rust tinge.

A word is worth 1/10,000 a photo, but with no pics, that's the best I can do, and the black oak tree in my back yard is no help at all!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
AlterEgo said:
My buddy has a Rossellini Luauro that he got from menhats.com in the color it calls "black oak (dark brown)" in its catalogue and online This is nowhere close to black and much lighter than what I'd term dark brown. In the Biltmore color scheme, "black oak" is lighter than "chocolate" but darker than "brown." I'd say it's pretty close to the color of a Hershey's Milk Chocolate candy bar, perhaps a tad lighter, with an ever-so-subtle rust tinge.

A word is worth 1/10,000 a photo, but with no pics, that's the best I can do, and the black oak tree in my back yard is no help at all!
Thanks, AlterEgo! I'll post a pic in a week or two. :)

Bingles

A-List Customer
My everyday hat for the colder months is a Biltmore diamond in black oak.. it's more like a chocolate brown.. nothing "black" about it. I love Biltmores!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
my new Biltmore Rosellini

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement. I'm so glad I got this new hat (also posted on the New Hat thread, of course):

IMG_5860.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24