Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R&B

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There is a terrific program on Denver radio called R&B Jukebox. The DJ is Easy Bill (who has a band of his own). I sent him an e-mail and he recommended some R&B CDs. I don't think he would mind if I posted his response here:

Jiving Jamboree (Ace) - Get the first volume and you won't be
disappointed. Fun compilation with stuff that you can dance to.

Risque Rhythm - Nasty R&B (Rhino) - Great double entendre songs by
some great artists.

Blues Masters Vol 5 - Jump Blues (Rhino) - There are two volumes of
jump blues, actually, but they may be out of print now... although
you can probably still find them on the internet.

Ray Charles - Atlantic Recordings (Rhino) - This is a single disc
comp of his early stuff. A must have.

Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes (Rhino) - There was only one Wynonie!

Little Richard - The Georgia Peach (Specialty) - Beware of Little
Richard comps... many are pretty sketchy. This is the one to get!

Ruth Brown - Rockin' In Rhythm (Rhino) - Let's not forget the ladies.
Also some Etta James stuff would be good... I've got the 20th Century
Masters disc, which was inexpensive and has some good Chess stuff.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Blues Masters Vol 5 - Jump Blues (Rhino)
I strongly second this one; the best compilation I've ever heard of late 40s-early 50s r&b (and I've bought a few).

Also, if you like the 40s/50s instrumental honking & squawking tenor sax stuff, you MUST get "Honkers & Bar Walkers, Vol. 1" (Delmark), while still in print.

66955.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Honkers-Bar-W...7108822?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173127788&sr=8-1

- C H

kools

Practically Family
All the above are certainly considered classics. If you want to build a R&B collection you must also have...
Louis Jordan
Roy Brown
Big Joe Turner
Jay McNeely
Joe Houston
Calvin Boze
Charles Brown
Floyd Dixon
Roy Milton
Joe Liggins
Jimmy Liggins
Percy Mayfield (early '50s stuff)
Little Willie Littlefield
Buddy Johnson
Bullmoose Jackson
Willis Jackson (honking '50s stuff)
Jack McVea
Amos Milburn
Johhny Moore's 3 Blazers
Jimmy 'T99' Nelson
any stuff Johnny Otis did in the '40s & '50s
The Treniers
Helen Humes
Jimmy Preston

At least that is where I'd start. Right now I'm diggin' some stuff that Ace has put out recently. They've got 3 discs in their "Central Avenue Scene" series & 3 discs in their "Mellow Cats & Kittens" series. This response may be a bit scattered, but there is so much great early R&B easily available now.

Salv

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Jiving Jamboree (Ace) - Get the first volume and you won't be disappointed. Fun compilation with stuff that you can dance to.
There are three volumes in the Jiving Jamboree series on Ace, all highly recommended.

Cousin Hepcat said:
Also, if you like the 40s/50s instrumental honking & squawking tenor sax stuff, you MUST get "Honkers & Bar Walkers, Vol. 1" (Delmark), while still in print.
Another great honkin' tenor compilation is The Big Horn - a 3-CD set on the UK Proper label.

Possibly the most interesting series is Stompin', a long series (up to Volume 33 last time I looked) of very obscure rocking R&B, recorded from original 78s. I have a few of the earlier compilations on vinyl albums, but from about Volume 25 they started releasing them on CD and reissued the earlier volumes on CD as well. Dusty Groove in the US have some of the later releases and the ones I have are uniformly excellent, and filled with artists I;ve never heard of anywhere else.

kools

Practically Family
Possibly the most interesting series is Stompin', a long series (up to Volume 33 last time I looked) of very obscure rocking R&B, recorded from original 78s. I have a few of the earlier compilations on vinyl albums, but from about Volume 25 they started releasing them on CD and reissued the earlier volumes on CD as well. Dusty Groove in the US have some of the later releases and the ones I have are uniformly excellent, and filled with artists I;ve never heard of anywhere else.
The Stompin' series is great. Certainly not a starting point, but I love discovering a "new" artist from their corp of obscurities.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I would recommend a cd titled "Night Train To Nashville". I was watching CBS News Sunday Morning a couple of years ago and saw this reviewed by Bill Flanagan. I have had good luck with many of his recommendations and this was no exception.

Night Train To Nashville

Salv

One Too Many
Hawkcigar said:
I would recommend a cd titled "Night Train To Nashville". I was watching CBS News Sunday Morning a couple of years ago and saw this reviewed by Bill Flanagan. I have had good luck with many of his recommendations and this was no exception.

Night Train To Nashville

Oh, yes, that's great, and it covers the early soul years as well. I love the Little Richard advert for Royal Crown hairdressing - "...even Long Tall Sally use it..."

I must get Volume 2.

Salv

One Too Many

kools

Practically Family
I just picked up Jim Wynn 1945-1946. Some nice early jump...very Jordanesque. The only tracks I had heard before were "Buzz, Buzz, Buzz" with Claude Trenier (one of his 4 tracks on this cd) and Wynn's "Ee-Bobaliba"-later covered by Helen Humes. Highly recommended.

kools

Practically Family
This may fall under the category of "influential to the creators of R&B" because the term had not been coined yet when they were at their peak, but I'm a huge fan of the vocal groups such as the Mills Bros., Ink Spots, the Brown Dots, Cats & a Fiddle, & the Three Peppers, etc. Today I'm listening to my favorite vocal group, the Delta Rhythm Boys! They're as smooth as they come...plus they were featured in a ton of '40s films & soundies.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That could be the FL Avatar of all time

Cousin Hepcat said:
I strongly second this one; the best compilation I've ever heard of late 40s-early 50s r&b (and I've bought a few).

66955.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Honkers-Bar-W...7108822?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173127788&sr=8-1

- C H

Is that record cover an FL classic or what?? It is like everything that the FL stands for... is... and wants to be. Now can't see the armholes.... are they high enough? >>>....

kools

Practically Family
Today on my R&B playlist: Duke Henderson "Get Your Kicks" cd on the Delmark label. Great west coast sound from 1945 with a Jimmy Witherspoonesque vocal delivery from Henderson. A collection of tenor players includes Jack McVea, Wild Bill Moore & Lucky Thompson. Mostly slower blues with a few jump tunes thrown in.

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
kools said:
All the above are certainly considered classics. If you want to build a R&B collection you must also have...
Louis Jordan
Roy Brown
Big Joe Turner
Jay McNeely
Joe Houston
Calvin Boze
Charles Brown
Floyd Dixon
Roy Milton
Joe Liggins
Jimmy Liggins
Percy Mayfield (early '50s stuff)
Little Willie Littlefield
Buddy Johnson
Bullmoose Jackson
Willis Jackson (honking '50s stuff)
Jack McVea
Amos Milburn
Johhny Moore's 3 Blazers
Jimmy 'T99' Nelson
any stuff Johnny Otis did in the '40s & '50s
The Treniers
Helen Humes
Jimmy Preston

At least that is where I'd start. Right now I'm diggin' some stuff that Ace has put out recently. They've got 3 discs in their "Central Avenue Scene" series & 3 discs in their "Mellow Cats & Kittens" series. This response may be a bit scattered, but there is so much great early R&B easily available now.

I will say this.

A "BIG DISH" of gratitude of thanks goes out to Kools from myself back when I evolved my tastes from strictly rockabilly to the beginnings of Rock n'Roll what was that back in like "93"---- many eons ago.

Without guys like him and Joel Patterson, all of the Chicago crew of the Sutton family and cats like Nick Curran .
The evolving or sophistication of my musical tastes would not be where it is now ..or my appreciation of what I consider the classics ,which he mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jerome

kools

Practically Family
Thanks, Jerome. Playing for cats like you is always fun! The funny thing is, there were loads of people back in '93 that didn't know the difference between our jump/R&B stylings & rockabilly. They saw us dressed sharp & with an upright bass and associated it with rockabilly. Then a couple of years later they called it swing, never really getting it right. As much as I enjoy swing & some rockabilly, post-war jump is really my thing. I do, of course, enjoy studying the history of how the different styles evolved & borrowed from each other!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran