Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R&B

Salv

One Too Many
A new reissue on UK Ace records that should interest a few people: Chuck Higgin's Pachuco Hop with its original sleeve design.

cdhp024_0.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I picked up Risque Rhythm - Nasty R&B on Saturday and played it for my mom. Much to my surprise, she said at one point, "That's one of my favorite songs."

Salv

One Too Many
I went to Sounds That Swing in Camden today - they are connected to the No Hit Records site and have a stall at Viva Las Vegas - and picked up the Chuck Higgins reissue I mentioned above, which comes in a really nice replica cardboard sleeve with the original liner notes on the back, and photos of the original labels on the inner sleeve. The music is great - hot, honking R&B at its finest. I also got a few Various Artists comps:

Honk! Honk! Honk! on UK Ace
cdchd781_1.jpg

Smoking The Black
7410840011709.jpg

Down At Miss Ann's Place
MISS%20ANNS.jpg

I haven't listened to all of them yet, but I'm part way through Smoking The Black and it's some greasy rockin' R&B!

Viper Man

Banned
Now this is my kinda thread, Jackson! Great choices all! I'd like to recommend the box, "Hamhocks and Cornbread" by JSR. It's four discs chock full of LOTS of great R&B and Jump Blues. A very nice cross section and it was less than $30 if I remember correctly...

61VVT354DCL._AA240_.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
kools said:
Thanks, Jerome. Playing for cats like you is always fun! The funny thing is, there were loads of people back in '93 that didn't know the difference between our jump/R&B stylings & rockabilly. They saw us dressed sharp & with an upright bass and associated it with rockabilly. Then a couple of years later they called it swing, never really getting it right. As much as I enjoy swing & some rockabilly, post-war jump is really my thing. I do, of course, enjoy studying the history of how the different styles evolved & borrowed from each other!

My all time least favorite new appelation, jump swing, for the "new creation of jumping swing" coined by people who did not have a clue that swing actually jumped already. Right up there with the people who thought that the punk rockers needed to "give swing a rock edge."

My recomendation, Lalo Guererro for Los Angeles latino R and B and old school rock en espanol.

mike

Call Me a Cab
there's an amazing lp called Wild & Frantic, put out by the wilderness label, it's a white label and I'm sure from europe/uk and probably all bootleg material but it includes Pretty Boy and Billy Lamont and 2 full sides of the most out of control screamin dance party music this side of anywhere! Plus they put it on cd onto 2 volumes and changed the track listing around to include more songs. Buy it!

And yes, Ace Records is the mark o'quality, as is its branch off Big Beat as is its branch off Media Burn as is its branch off Watusi Head who would have thought I could bring that up on this site, HA! Hasil Adkins is in my Head :p

Chas

One Too Many
I interviewed Big Jay McNeely for my radio show. I will post in this thread when I have the show edited and ready to roll.

He is a true living legend - blows loud, hard and puts on a good show.

I recommend the Bear Family series :"Blowing The Fuse". Very well done.

This series is EXCELLENT; done by the same company out of France that used to publish the wonderfully done Jazz Chronological Classics Series.
brim4.jpg

I would also like to add to KOOL's list:

Fats Domino (early 50s)
Ray Charles (early 50s)
Hal Singer
H Bomb Ferguson
Wynonie Harris
Roy Montrell
Earl Bostic
Red Prysock

Viper Man

Banned
WOW! That is so cool. I love Big Jay McNeely. I actually have this print framed in my office. I have always felt that this photo was symbolic of my own love of the music. The elation on those kids' faces is priceless. I can dig it.

13.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mike said:
there's an amazing lp called Wild & Frantic, put out by the wilderness label, it's a white label and I'm sure from europe/uk and probably all bootleg material but it includes Pretty Boy and Billy Lamont and 2 full sides of the most out of control screamin dance party music this side of anywhere! Plus they put it on cd onto 2 volumes and changed the track listing around to include more songs. Buy it!

And yes, Ace Records is the mark o'quality, as is its branch off Big Beat as is its branch off Media Burn as is its branch off Watusi Head who would have thought I could bring that up on this site, HA! Hasil Adkins is in my Head :p
I just recently got "More Wild and Frantic" and it's pretty killer!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
I strongly second this one; the best compilation I've ever heard of late 40s-early 50s r&b (and I've bought a few).

I third this. I've had both of the Blues Masters: Jump Blues volumes for almost a decade now and I still listen to them on a regular basis in my car.

These two cds, Louis Jordan, Wynonie Harris, Ruth Brown and The Treniers are constantly on rotation in my car.

Chas

One Too Many
Filling in for "Shake A Tail Feather" tonight - podcast will be posted sometime after midnite PDT.

Expect much blues shouting and honkin', screamin' saxophones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran