Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R/W, I/R boots sizing

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased a pair of Red Wing Iron Ranger boots on-lne and the sizing is strange to say the least. As the feedback was to order boots 1/2 size under which I did, although when they arrived they looked like clown shoes, they were so big. I measured them to my old Chippewa boots and they were 1/2"-5/8" longer in length. If I follow that measurement, I would be wearing 1-1/2 sizes below my measure foot! I'm concerned by doing this, the arch will be way off and possibly width. Any suggestions or past experiences in this matter?
Retromoto

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I recently purchased a pair of Red Wing Iron Ranger boots on-lne and the sizing is strange to say the least. As the feedback was to order boots 1/2 size under which I did, although when they arrived they looked like clown shoes, they were so big. I measured them to my old Chippewa boots and they were 1/2"-5/8" longer in length. If I follow that measurement, I would be wearing 1-1/2 sizes below my measure foot! I'm concerned by doing this, the arch will be way off and possibly width. Any suggestions or past experiences in this matter?
Retromoto

I used to wear Red Wing , but they discontinued the Old Style I wore that was a Standard since the Company began . Even my Grandfather wore them . Personally , I'd get Red Wings Customer Service # , and Call , ask them WATZ UP ?! Explain the Crazy Size Difference . And ask why these are so OFF !

A relative of mine had a Boot Shop , I wore Tony Lama , and Red Wing , and they sold them , but they retired , closed the Shop , and since have passed on . Tony Lama was bought out (I think) in the early 90s (If not 90) by Justin Industries (and a conglomerate that owns them , I'm sure) , quality , and fit Tanked ! Red Wing several years ago must have hired a Genius out of College , or a Business Flunky , that to earn his keep changed a lot of Quality Standards , and Styles (to save cost , and sacrificed quality) on the Established Red Wing Boots that could be counted on up until that time , they had a Super Reputation earned by 100 years or more of consistent Great Quality .

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I called RW before purchasing and they recommended 1/2 size smaller. I can lace these up and rotate my foot back and forth quickly and the boot has so much room inside, it clunks!
I sent them back although did not order a replacement due to my arch and width concerns. Perhaps it's time to move on to another brand.
Thanks for the feedback regardless,
Retromoto

felix03

One of the Regulars
I wear a 9.5 or 10.0 in adidas and Nike. My dress shoes and other boots are all 9.0. My 8115s and 8114s are both 8.5 and they fit perfectly.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I wear a 9.5 or 10.0 in adidas and Nike. My dress shoes and other boots are all 9.0. My 8115s and 8114s are both 8.5 and they fit perfectly.
Thanks for the info, what size are you on the Brannock scale?
thanks,
Retromoto

Dugafola

New in Town
I called RW before purchasing and they recommended 1/2 size smaller. I can lace these up and rotate my foot back and forth quickly and the boot has so much room inside, it clunks!
I sent them back although did not order a replacement due to my arch and width concerns. Perhaps it's time to move on to another brand.
Thanks for the feedback regardless,
Retromoto

checkout Truman, Alden and viberg for some other brands. it's a step up in $$$ though which may or may not be worth it to some.

Dugafola

New in Town
forgot to mention that those brands listed above can be finnicky sized as well. but there's tons of information on how to guestimate if you were to order w/o trying on. if you need help with viberg or alden let me know!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner