Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rabbits and Beavers

Oh yeah, that'll work! haha
Yeah, I didn't think that would fly around here. I suppose it doesn't really matter when a hat was made as much as when someone took possession of it and can definitively say, "This is how it looked when I got it in '93, and here's how it looks now." But I do think the focus would need to remain on how durable the felt is regardless of whether it's rabbit, hare, beaver, nutria, or whatever, perhaps even if the hat has been somewhat refurbished.

The only thing I noticed is that YOU DON'T AGE!!
If only that were true. I can't explain it. Good genes? Clean living? Pure heart...no, that can't be it... :confused:

:D

Maybe it's not that you (Zombie) didn't age. Maybe it's that you did age by 10 years ago, and then still look the same over the last 10 years? haha
That's it! It's like an adolescent growth spurt, except instead of growing 6" over the summer I aged 10 years. :p

Nah, he's looked like that since birth. It was a little weird when he was ten, but he's grown into it.
You have no idea how close you are to the truth. Somewhere around here I have photos of me that were taken when I was one or two years old and, except for the facial hair, broken nose, and wrinkles that I have now, my face looks very much the same. Apparently I'm one of those people whose facial features don't change much over time.

The funny thing is, my wife is the same. We have a beautiful photo of her that was taken at her "Holy Communion" (Catholic) when she was seven years old, and a lot of people have mistaken it for a posed wedding photo; she was 21 years old when we married. She too has gained a few wrinkles over the years (probably the result of being married to me), but she still looks very much like she did in that photo.

My apologies for taking this farther off topic, but in all fairness I didn't start it. :cool:

In the first part of this Tonak video (from 2017) you will see their Fur Processing. I saw the Fur Processing when I visited Tonak factory back in 2011. I am not aware of any other factory that has Fur Processing, Felt Production and Hat Production all together. Tonak is the original J. Hückel ´s Söhne main factory Novy Jicin / Neustitshein. Overall this is great video.

In the first part of this Tonak video (from 2017) you will see their Fur Processing. I saw the Fur Processing when I visited Tonak factory back in 2011. I am not aware of any other factory that has Fur Processing, Felt Production and Hat Production all together...
Doesn't Akubra claim to do all of that in-house, or have I misinterpreted their "Hat Making Process" videos?

Resistol/Hatco has felting plant in east Texas and the factory in Garland but not in one place. Maybe the Tonak distinction is being in one place. AKubra does seem to be all in one place from fur to finished hat.
Do they have Fur Processing / Cutting (from Pelts / Skins)? I tend to think not. I am not aware of any Fur Processing / Cutting in the United States.

Tonak Processes Fur from Pelt / Skins. They also sell Processed Fur. From what I can remember they have some connections in East Europe for the Pelts/Skins. It very difficult finding sources. The issues in Ukraine have made it more difficult.

Last edited:
Doesn't Akubra claim to do all of that in-house, or have I misinterpreted their "Hat Making Process" videos?
I am not sure if they Process / Cut Fur. I believe they are buying the Fur from outside sources. Tonak still Process / Cut their own Fur.

Update. Akubra stopped Processing / Cutting Fur back in 2015.

"Akubra chief financial officer Roy Wilkinson said the company had to cut its rabbit skin processing operation, and import fur already processed. He said the company was not making money and needed to cut costs to stay in business. 'When your operation is losing money, you have to make a decision in the best interests of your total operation,' he said."

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...ites-growing-local-costs-in-switch-to/6604110

Last edited:
Hair Cutting Hofmans-Saelmans - Heizijdestraat 10 - Heizijde - Lebbeke - East Flanders - Flanders - Belgium.

https://www.tradekey.com/company/Hofmans-4160337.html

Haarsnijderij_Heizijde_-Lebbeke_-_Belgi%C3%AB.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Haarsnijderij_Heizijde_-Lebbeke_-_België.jpg

I found an article Hofman's Hair Cutting. They are suppliers to Borsalino. Sounds like the future is uncertain. You can use Google Translate.

https://www.hln.be/regio/lebbeke/twaalf-lofts-in-haarsnijderij-hofmans~a9ca5d6a/

Here is a past series of posts. Esther visited this place.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...r-january-12th-2016.85148/page-2#post-2049437

Unfortunately ŠEŠIR (Slovenia) shutdown and liquidated all assets in 2017.

I am not sure about PolkaP (also originally JHS) in Poland. They may have Fur Cutting / Processing. I will have to check. There are companies in Ukraine and Russia. I asked Bahner Hat Machines (Germany) about them but can't remember what I was told.

Last edited:
I am not sure if they Process / Cut Fur. I believe they are buying the Fur from outside sources. Tonak still Process / Cut their own Fur.

Update. Akubra stopped Processing / Cutting Fur back in 2015.

"Akubra chief financial officer Roy Wilkinson said the company had to cut its rabbit skin processing operation, and import fur already processed. He said the company was not making money and needed to cut costs to stay in business. 'When your operation is losing money, you have to make a decision in the best interests of your total operation,' he said."

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...ites-growing-local-costs-in-switch-to/6604110
Thank you Sir! I remember a thread here on The Lounge from around that time stating Akubra was being forced to outsource their rabbit and hare fur, but as I recall the linked article cited a shortage of quality fur as the reason for the change and no mention of reducing their production costs or whether they would be outsourcing pelts or just the fur.

Thank you Sir! I remember a thread here on The Lounge from around that time stating Akubra was being forced to outsource their rabbit and hare fur, but as I recall the linked article cited a shortage of quality fur as the reason for the change and no mention of reducing their production costs or whether they would be outsourcing pelts or just the fur.
It's very difficult to source pelts/skins. Tonak told me this when I visited and Tonak has Eastern European connections that go way back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay