Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Radium: The Key to Good Health (Golden Era Style)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
vitasuppad.jpg

Yikes.

It's all here: Radioactive Quack Cures

The revigator, the ionic charger, radium bread, and the little beauties pictured above. That golden glow we se on the first fifty years of the 20thC, that's not nostalgia after all...

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Personally, I prefer to use this stuff:

pronto.jpg

I take it twice a day and it makes me a REGULAR guy. In fact, some might say that it is a real SMOOTH MOVE!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Dismuke said:
Personally, I prefer to use this stuff:

pronto.jpg

I take it twice a day and it makes me a REGULAR guy. In fact, some might say that it is a real SMOOTH MOVE!

lol lol

Some "artists" might have tried to camoflage the features of the upside down face, but not this one. Here we have a man (2 men?) with a mouth and nose on his forehead! Just one of the many bonus mutations provided by Pronto-Lax!!!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have this one

I keep a Radium Ore Revigator in my dining room!

It's this one:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/quackcures/revigat.htm

BTW, I took a geiger counter (and a radon test) to it and
it's not that dangerous anymore... unless you used it to filter
your drinking water! No where near as hot as the famous
"mango red" Fiestaware.

I keep meaning to post a thread about electrotherapy devices from
the old days. Will do so soon.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The Revigator looks very cool, whether or not it still provides the healthful benfits of radium.

The Nutex (pronounced, I presume, NEW-tex)... not so much.

I look forward to that electrotherapy thread.

Prostate

They still have one cure for either prostate cancer or enlarged, i am not sure which. They place radioactive pellets there to slowly kill off the enlarged or cancerous portion. Again not sure which or both.[huh]

It glows when I urinate!
Well then, you don't need a night light!

J.B.

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm

I wonder how many shoe salesmen died of cancer after using this wonder machine eight hours a day!!??

-dixon cannon

In the late 40's and early 50's -- every shoe and department store in town had one of those machines in their shoe department! I can't tell you how many times as a little kid I stuck my feet into those things and peered down into the eyepiece-thingy...

...I never did understand what the heck I was supposed to be looking at, but everyone always seemed quite pleased at the outcome?! [huh]

carebear

J.B. said:
In the late 40's and early 50's -- every shoe and department store in town had one of those machines in their shoe department! I can't tell you how many times as a little kid I stuck my feet into those things and peered down into the eyepiece-thingy...

...I never did understand what the heck I was supposed to be looking at, but everyone always seemed quite pleased at the outcome?! [huh]

I wonder how many comic-book inspired kids went in for extra viewings in the hope of gaining superpowers? :D

feltfan

John in Covina said:
They still have one cure for either prostate cancer or enlarged, i am not sure which. They place radioactive pellets there to slowly kill off the enlarged or cancerous portion. Again not sure which or both.[huh]

It glows when I urinate!
Well then, you don't need a night light!

Of course electrotherapy, including self-cauterizing electrosurgery
and radiation therapy are still used today, along with x-rays and
other things exploited by the quacks. The difference is that these
powerful tools can be used in ways that have been scientifically
proven effective or they can be used in ways that are effectively
fiction for the profit of the quack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot