Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Reenactors

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
really enjoyed those RAF pics..!

Some super pics there of re-enactors in RAF, RCAF, RAAF, uniforms from WW2. This is great as it keeps the spirit alive, but also helps educate and inform all of us about aspects of the war we might not have been aware of. As a teacher, this is a great way to inform kids in a fun, interactive, hands on way with regard to this historically important part of the world's modern 20thC history.

Thanks for sharing those sites with us!!

RAAF

New in Town
reenactor pics

just wanted to clarify that the reenactor photos are from a site I stumbled upon and are not mine.

Vince

New in Town
Just A Question-or two!

I have an officer's RAF Service Dress uniform. I am having no luck finding ribbons for the tunic pocket(just below the Pilot officer's wings), asn a source of King's Crown RAF brass buttons for the tunic and a great coat-any ideas where to look?

Cheers!

Vince:p

Cobden

Practically Family
Vince said:
I have an officer's RAF Service Dress uniform. I am having no luck finding ribbons for the tunic pocket(just below the Pilot officer's wings), asn a source of King's Crown RAF brass buttons for the tunic and a great coat-any ideas where to look?

Cheers!

Kings crown RAF buttons can be found at: golden age buttons

Ribbons can be found; what are you looking for? Also, if it's for living history, I'd personally say to avoid wearing any medal ribbons

Greatcoats are now impossible to fibnd or ridiculously expensive, due to Captain Jack Harkness

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Vince said:

Cheers!

Kings Crown buttons - try ebay. Used to be lots of them there.

dr greg

One Too Many
young gun

MDFrench said:
I know this isn't the best picture, but my new avatar photo shows me wearing my RAF battledress jacket - early Suits, Aircrew pattern.

Just FYI.

Tally Ho, guys.

Can I just comment that you, sir, seem a fairly young chap, and that's great, because as a casual observer I note that most pics of re-enactors feature fellows of shall we say, more mature years, is this due to economic factors or the fact that it's generally people over 40 at least who even know what WW2 was?
I can never forget being asked by a University student a couple of years ago who had been tasked with organising a theatrical representation of the 20th C decade by decade:
"hey, you're like an old dude, what happened in the 40's?"
"WW2 for a start", I replied,
"O yeah the French and the Germans.Trenches and whatever,Right?"
I'll say no more, but I did at the time........

Vince

New in Town
My Sincerest Thanks!

Spitfire said:
Kings Crown buttons - try ebay. Used to be lots of them there.
To one and all, I am just about in possession of the various bits and pieces that will allow me to attend the World War II dinner dance at Brookdale Community college in Monmouth, New Jersey. It is a step back in time! The orchestra and guests are all kitted up like 1942. I am missing the braid for the visor of my "peaked" RAF cap, but alas, a small price to pay! Thank you all for allowing me to get as close to "spot on" as one might hope!

Cheers!

Vince:eusa_clap

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Hi Guys,
Good to see more people interested in the Royal Air Force,
Sorry I dont get to post to often, Below are a few pictures from U.K RAF Living History events I have had the pleasure of being part of over the last few years.
Enjoy!:)
n566542821_1258596_9076.jpg

9422_149191117821_566542821_2599967_6991356_n.jpg

4623_82433557821_566542821_1790990_3925804_n.jpg

n566542821_167743_451.jpg

n556737427_770716_9096.jpg

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Thankyou, a friend took it at Goodwood Revival in 2007,
I was really asleep we had been on the display since 7am-8pm for 3 days this was sunday morning about 7.30am, what more can you ask! Vintage Sports cars, Warbirds and posh totty!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Austerityaudio said:
what more can you ask! Vintage Sports cars, Warbirds and posh totty!

Everything a chap needs :D

And I agree, great photos, thanks for posting them.

Rich5ltr

New in Town
Hi Chaps, I've only just started exploring this forum and have only posted on the vintage and classic car thread so far. However, my other hobby is flying - no not world war II fighters but gliders. Obviously the Goodwood Revival (mentioned previously) is an annual event for me and one year I spent ages getting a reasonably accurate pilot's dress up together. One thing that initially surprised me was that nothing was made in the larger sizes but then I should have realised that from my interest in older cars. People really were smaller back then. The snap below is me standing by a Hurricane. The cap is the correct officer's cloth covered one not the plastic brimmed one so often seen on fancy dress websites. My shirt is a blue end-on-end and the red scarf, well it's more comfortable than a tie! The buttons are all King's Cross style, the medals are my father's from WWII - he spent from '39 to '46 in North Africa so they are desert campaign medals rather than air medals but I'd rather that than wear false DSO, DFC, Croix de Guerre and bar ;-)

I don't feel too much of a fake, firstly because I fly albeit gliders but one of my gliding instructors is now a pilot for the Old Flying Machine Company based at Duxford aerodrome. If you've seen the Mustang P51 "Ferocious Frankie" flying at Goodwood then Al will have been flying that. Oh and my father-in-law (since passed away) was a Lancaster pilot who among his 17 missions took part in the raids on Berchtesgaden! My son now has his log books and they make interesting reading.

Anyway thoughts and comments much appreciated however I don't wear it to Goodwood anymore and I've put on a bit of weight and it was pretty tight in the first place. If you like it perhaps that's an incentive for me to shed a few pounds!
me and Hurri.jpg

Rich5ltr

New in Town
p.s. Funny how one thing leads to another. While typing that last post I used Google to get the correct spelling of Berchtesgaden but didn't read any of the threads. Now quickly just reading the first hit I found the exact details of his flight, the aircraft reg number, the time he left the UK and the time and altitude he was at over the target. All makes it so much more real when you knew the chap and can see it in print. Little wonder chaps like him and my father spoke very little about their experiences during the war. http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/300/Berchtesgaden.html

Capture.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters