Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current issue RAF jacket and other surplus goodies

Metatron

One Too Many
Hello all! I know this is a predominantly vintage clothing forum, but here are a couple of modern garments that are readily available for low prices, and which feature classic styling.

This is the RAF general service jacket:

DSCN0721.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at1421.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at14222.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at14223.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at14243.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at1424.jpg

Made of polyester/viscose with a detachable quilted lining.

Firstly it's perfectly fulfills the role of a 'throw on' jacket for your every day chores which is infinitely more stylish than your average north face or similar synthetic jacket.

Secondly, it is the bomber jacket in it's purest form, cut like an A2, and featuring a collar stand and tab which is quite similar to the German kanal jacket:
IMG_0011.jpg

Thirdly, you can get one for around £10 so it's a no brainer in my opinion. Can be found on ebay as well as most online UK surplus sites. The USAF also uses a very similar garment.

Finally, if it's good enough for the RAF it's definitely good enough for me!
I slightly customized mine by making a leather puller for the YKK zip which adds a bit of contrast on what is a largely utilitarian jacket...

Here's another item which I recommend, Dutch air force combat trousers, made from a cotton blend I reckon, huge pockets, light khaki/grey colour which is quite versatile, pleated fronts and unfashionably high waisted just like you guys like them.
You can get them for around £10 too.

Photoon2011-10-20at1426.jpg

Photoon2011-10-20at1425.jpg

I thought you might appreciate a thread on cheap, but good quality gear. What do you think?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to actually see one of those jackets worn. I've toyed with the idea of one once or twice as an alternative to a Harrington at times, but wasn't sure if they'd have an appropriately vintage vibe to them. Actually looks like they'd be very passable for a Fifties look.

Metatron

One Too Many
Joel, that is the jacket, and that is the seller I got it from, a very professional chap who will go out of his way to get you a good fit. Sizes come in short medium and long. The US version seems to be called 'air force utility jacket'.

You are right Edward, it does look like a fifties bomber jacket when worn with civilian clothes. In retrospect, it seems crazy that irvins were probably sold off for comparable prices back in the day. :D

DJH

I'll Lock Up
...I've toyed with the idea of one once or twice as an alternative to a Harrington at times...

Wow, that's a Blast from the Past. I used to wear Harringtons when I was a teenager back in the UK in the early 70's. Used to be black with tartan lining if I remember correctly.

Are they still made and still popular?

HARRY PALMER

New in Town
Wow, that's a Blast from the Past. I used to wear Harringtons when I was a teenager back in the UK in the early 70's. Used to be black with tartan lining if I remember correctly.

Yes they are have had a bit of a resurgence of late. I have one and I would say the best make is Barracuta who make mine check out their web site.

HARRY PALMER

New in Town

Yes they are have had a bit of a resurgence of late. I have one and I would say the best make is Barracuta who make mine check out their web site.

Edward

Bartender
You are right Edward, it does look like a fifties bomber jacket when worn with civilian clothes. In retrospect, it seems crazy that irvins were probably sold off for comparable prices back in the day. :D

Jinkies, doesn't it just..... My paternal grandfather bought a pair of RAF goggles and leather gauntlets as surplus, that he used on a bike just after the war. I still have those somewhere in my folks' place. I don't remember there ever being talk of him having had an Irvin, though - I'm sure had there been one, it would have surfaced some years ago.

Very much so. Everything from cheap ones right up through to crazy-expensive. Grenfell do one in the GBP300 mark. You can buy one from about GBP15 upwards. Some of the very cheapest ones are just nasty, others I've been quite impressed by. I have a couple of really cheap ones that aren't bad, in colours I don't wear as often. There's a bright red one for when I'm feeling a little of the Jimmy Dean vibe, and a sky blue one which is a really nice fit. Wasn't sure how often I'd wear sky blue, but often enough that when comes the time to replace I'll buy a more expensive one. I also have a cheap navy one, and a very nice Merc of London one in black. Another Merc I have (bought silly cheap on ebay - new for less than GBP 20) is a sort of POW check pattern, with a pointed shirt-style collar as opposed to the square ended button collar normal to the design.

The Barracuta G9 is of course the original, first launch in, I believe, 1937. That's what I love about the design - it is "correct" for just about every period in which I like to dress. I don't yet have an actual G9 myself for the simple reason that they're just too expensive for me. Typically I see them new at GBP120 or so, which is more than I want to spend on that sort of jacket. That said, I have often seen them at half price sale, and if and when I spot the right one at that in my size, I'll jump on it. My favourite is the Merc take on it. They don't have the raglan sleeves of the original design (doesn't bother me, but I know that is important to some), but they're otherwise just as good IMO, and new are about GBP60. There is an appreciable difference in quality between those and my cheaper ones, and in particular the fit is just that little bit trimmer, which I prefer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner