Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Squadron carries a photograph

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I saw a documentary on TV many years ago talking about an RAF squadron. My memory is very sketchy about it as I was a little kid when I saw it. It told of a story of a group of ancient warriors who carried some sort of special cloth (a flag, banner, tartan perhaps) into battle. This cloth as the story goes caused their carriers to be successful in battle. In WWII, an RAF squadron (in the Battle of Britain?) carried a photo of this cloth in all their planes resulting in all members returning safely. Can anyone shed some more light on this and correct where I may be wrong? I've searched all over the net but came up with nothing.
-Thunderbolt

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't ring a bell at all.

The only squadron flag which has a bit of mystique and which comes to mind is 100 Squadron's skull and crossbones one. But that had nothing to do with ancient warriors, rather some squadron members pinched it from a brothel during WWI.

I am fairly certain though that your flag/banner is not to do with the Battle of Britain. I may be wrong but the BoB is my main interest and I haven't heard of this in relation to any Fighter Command squadron during the Battle.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Doesn't ring a bell at all.

The only squadron flag which has a bit of mystique and which comes to mind is 100 Squadron's skull and crossbones one. But that had nothing to do with ancient warriors, rather some squadron members pinched it from a brothel during WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AugustvonMackensen.jpg

Maybe not ancient warriors, but the Totenkopf goes back a way. Pre-1805 usage with the Prussian cavalry units.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred