Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain cover for your fedora?

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Do you carry a rain cover for your best hats? I searched the forum, but didn't find much discussion about it. I think that some vintage hats apparently came with rain covers that fit into a pouch inside the hat. Is there a source for rain covers? A google search turned up covers for cowboy hats, but I saw nothing for fedoras.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Rain cover

They sell them...

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

O1090.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Chasidic Jews routinely cover their hats in rain. Sometimes with plastic shopping bags, which goes right contrary to their intention of looking dignified in the eyes of God, and often with transparent covers that have an elastic band and are obviously produced exactly for this purpose and to fit a hat. (This is where we get to your question.) In my opinion, these covers go right contrary to their intention of looking dignified in the eyes of God, too.

Now where to get these in Southeast Tennessee? [huh] Try to google "hat cover" for online sellers!

funneman

Practically Family
Rain Covers?

Can't see the need. I wore my Royal Stetson out in the rain a few weeks ago. The hat got soaked.

I brought it in laid it down flat and let it dry. The hat may have stiffened up a bit, but I could swear it was in better shape after the rain than before.

I think it was even a bit cleaner.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suppose if you were planning to be out in pouring rain
all day long it might be a good idea. I have one that
fell out of a hat box, to my surprise. But I have never
used it.

If your felt hat can't handle the rain, it's not much of a felt hat.

That said, I rarely wear a white felt hat in the rain, out of fear
of stains. Get yourself a brown Cavanagh for rain use.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wouldn't wear one of your best hats in the rain, and I'm not sure what rain would do to a Panama. Rain is what beaters are for, and umbrellas.

Wet fedoras do look cool though. There is no denying it.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I wouldn't wear one of your best hats in the rain...

I agree--don't plan to, and I have a couple of perfect beaters for such occasions, but I range pretty far afield sometimes, and sooner or later I will get caught out in a good hat. So, thanks to Sharpetoys, I have a rain cover on the way. I may be getting a little too anal about it. For heaven's sakes, I don't wear galoushes on my shoes. I also agree they (rain covers) look a little silly on.

Mulceber

Practically Family
If it were me, I wouldn't put a vintage fedora or a Panama through the rain, but I think if you buy a modern hat (adventurebilt being the perfect example) you shouldn't be afraid to get it wet. It'll be fine. Beavers wore that fur in the water, why shouldn't you? -Mulceber

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Chasidic Jews routinely cover their hats in rain. Sometimes with plastic shopping bags, which goes right contrary to their intention of looking dignified in the eyes of God

Actually, I think the point is to look *humble* in the eyes of God. No problem with plastic bags, there. Interesting theological/fashion point, by the way: the Chasidic look is in fact more fashion than theology. They dress that way because they *like* it; the look dates from the mid-eighteenth century. The ancient texts insist that you cover your head, but it was shtetl fashion that indicated this kind of hat, and the black garb.

(I happen to be hugely intrigued by the Chasidim -- especially the Breslov sect, who are an amazing group of people.)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Visigoth said:
the look dates from the mid-eighteenth century. The ancient texts insist that you cover your head, but it was shtetl fashion that indicated this kind of hat, and the black garb.

(I happen to be hugely intrigued by the Chasidim -- especially the Breslov sect, who are an amazing group of people.)

The "ultra-Orthodox" don't dress like they did in the mid-18th century. (There weren't any back then anyway.) It's retro. If you look at pictures from pre-war Europe as well as America, you'd be surprised at the variety of looks and colours. In fact, your typical Modern Orthodox neighbour in plain clothes and a hat or a baseball cap is much more in tune with tradition - wearing what the coterritorial gentiles wear, just a bit more conservative. Maybe a contemporary-style beard, maybe not.

The whole point of what make chasidists, and Breslovers even more than others, interesting back then just as today is exactly the non-traditional approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner