Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain hat/bucket hat ?

Doug C

Practically Family
I'm putting this question in the General section because it's not really a hat question, so much as a general necessity thing. I prefer not to use an umbrella, find them a little cumbersome and messy after they've been soaked... so what I'm looking for is a good casual hat to wear when it's raining (worn with a light rain coat). I'm thinking a bucket hat, the type that doesn't flair out at the brim or something along those lines, but hopefully in a water resistant fabric. Anyone have a suggestion?

Doug C

MB5

One of the Regulars
If you want fabric, there are several styles of hat made in oilskin/oil cloth by a variety of manufacturers.

I personally use my wool fedora, as it is the only full brim hat I own that I would wear out. It worked quite well in London.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Check out the hats at Filson.com. I had also been thinking of getting a suitable hat for wearing in the rain, and i think I will be ordering their "cover cloth crushable packer hat".

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Also, check out the hats at www.tilley.com. I have a TH5 Hemp that is completely packable, sheds water like a duck, and actually floats if it gets dropped in the lake. It also has a hidden chin strap that can be used if the wind kicks up. Highly recommended.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I'm thinking my newly aquired "Pith" helmet may be the thing, lightweight with a large brim, its made of sealed Rafia.
3275620173_82f032b673_m.jpg

3275614515_efd373b7d7_m.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
That'd be great if I worked at the Zoo! Um, I can't really wear a pith helmut to the office lol ...or anywhere else for that matter, but thanks for the suggestion ;) .
Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
I think the Homey's on the train would give me hell if I show up with a Pith helmut on - nothin doing :rage:
Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot