Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain Hat

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hey All,

Well, it's raining again here in Minnesota. So, this means I'm on the lookout for a good rain hat again. I'm thinking something casual. I'm thinking a panama type hat, but am open to suggestions.

I'm thinking something I could wear with different color khakies, and blue oxford type shirts. Maybe with jeans and oxford type shirts, but I'm getting away from jeans with hats.

I'm including a picture of my Stetson that I really love, but I feel I paid too much for it to get it wet. Rats, looks I couldn't upload the picture. :rage:

I am open to a felt hat, but I don't think I really want one that is "adventure" type. Not something I would wear on a hiking trip or archeology excavation.

So, I'm at a total loss. [huh]

PS I do have a Resistol cowboy hat that has a "vinyl coat" on it. I usually use it for yard work, but this also makes it a little rain resistant. It's also a straw type hat.

And, earlier when I said Panama, I was thinking straw, not sure if Panama is an actual style of hat.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Does it have to be a Panama??
What about an Akubra- easy on the wallet and tough as nails- rain doesn't seem to bother them and they come in a variety of styles...

jkingrph

Practically Family
Look at the Akubra's. There are many styles and colors to choose from. My first felt other than Stetson/Resistol westerns was an Akubra Banjo Patterson, A slightly modified fedora shape, with a hatband of some kind of gamefish, really a sharp looking hat casual but smart enough to be worn dressy. I have gotten a lot of nice comments on this one here where western rules.

Stoney

Practically Family
Try noggintops

http://www.noggintops.com/index.cfm

Cheryl at noggintops is great to deal with and the store sells quite a few casual hats much like you've described. I think, from your description that you may like the Tilley hats they carry.
Of course noggintops also stocks many other types of hats, most of them geared towards outdoor activities.

Standard Tilley
LTM6-Gray%5B1%5D.jpg

Waterproof Tilley

TWP1-Khalarfe195.jpg

I just wear my felt hats in the rain. They seem to serve the purpose very well.
My head stays dry even in huge downpours.;)

carldelo

One Too Many
New hat

A timely post - I just ordered a new rain/hiking/kayaking hat about 15 minutes ago. I got the flyer from Noggintops about 10 minutes before that. It's a techstraw (i.e. polypro - water has no effect on it) hat called the Joe Fedora:

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247

I've had the Riverz Delta by the same maker as a kayaking hat for several years and it's served well. But I'm finally beating it up, plus the crown is looking too low for me these days, thanks to the tall-crown leanings of the FL, no doubt. Anyway, the Joe has a nice shape and a black band so is a little more classy looking, less beachy than the Delta. The weave looks much better and it is supposed to be rollable for travel. I expect to get it in a few days and I'll post my response. BTW the coupon code (JULY$10) will give $10 off the price until Aug 10th.

SFJoeFedora[1]400.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Joe looks interesting. I tried the Delta, but it looked huge on my head... silly huge.

For Akubras, try searching for a CEO. It combines a bit of urban fedora style with a touch of an outback look.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
AKUBRA CEO

Hey all,

Do you think an Akuba CEO would hold up in the rain? It is rabbit hair, right? Rabbits get wet and are fine. Should the hat be the same way? It's a little dressier than I wanted but it sure looks cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
The Joe looks interesting. I tried the Delta, but it looked huge on my head... silly huge.

For Akubras, try searching for a CEO. It combines a bit of urban fedora style with a touch of an outback look.

Wow, that is amazing. While you were posting this, I came across the Akubra CEO. It's such an interesting hat. Not quite a fedora, but not quite an outback type of hat. It seems to have lots of personality.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
What about this one?

Ok, this isn't the Akurba CEO, but it looks like a good rain hat. The problem is, where I live, the rain storm will come in and dump for 15 min. then move on.

So this hat may be overkill.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=94

I could probably just keep it in my car or something. [huh]

What about a regular felt fedora? How well do they hold up in a brief down pour?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Vendors; I like Hatsdirect for Akubras. David Morgan in the states also has an awesome reputation.

Size; You'd better measure your head in inches. Then look up the size conversion chart on hatsdirect.com. It will tell you what your American and European size is. Just get a fabric tape measure and measure ound where you would normally wear the hat. Don't tug it too tight though. Do it three or four times to reduce human error. Note the nearest eigth inch, and you're in business.

Felt vs. Downpours; A good hat like an Akubra can handle it all, but it's best to ask about specific brands. Not all felt hats are equal.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
All the straws that I have had didn't hold up well in the rain. I guess it is possible to coat the fibers. However, this brings to mind a question for one who is just now getting into furs. What fur seems to be the most foul weather durable?

Stoney

Practically Family
SlyGI said:
Ok, this isn't the Akurba CEO, but it looks like a good rain hat. The problem is, where I live, the rain storm will come in and dump for 15 min. then move on.

What about a regular felt fedora? How well do they hold up in a brief down pour?

I think the Cape Flattery you've found here would work for you. As you said you can keep it in the car. You can't keep a felt hat in your car, the heat will shrink it. :eek:

I wouldn't try wearing a wool felt hat in the rain very much. They will not hold up very well. A quality fur felt will do just fine. If you're working on a budget you might try looking at Burlington Coat Factory. They carry fur felt hats that are made by Tonak, A Czech company that makes good quality hats. These B.C.F. Tonak hats are not marked as Tonak , but rather have Genuine Fur Felt written inside on the sweatband or liner. I have seen some nice hats there that were priced around $20.00 or so.

e-Bay is another option . You may find a very nice vintage hat that will work for you. IMHO vintage hats are of better quality than anything factory made today and you can often buy four or five of them fore the price of a single new Akubra hat.

Speaking of Akubra, as others have said, they do make a good fur felt hat.
I have a federation in Tawny Fawn and really like it. I have no reservations about wearing mine in the rain.

All felt hats will eventually wear out. The Cape Flattery looks like a pretty tough one if you want one that can really take some abuse.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
I was out today in the rain in my Akubra Flemington. It came down in buckets and I had no problem. A perfectly dry head and the hat still looks like a hat.

I have no idea why the Tilley hats seem to be so popular amongst some members of the lounge. Sure they are probably cheeper than an akubra, but that has to be the only thing they have going for them.

There is a coloquialism in Australia used to describe just how hard something is on the eyes
as ugly as a hat full of arseholes
I think the Tilley hats (and their ilk) deserve that discription.

Am I alone in this feeling?

geckoheart

Familiar Face
SlyGI said:

I have a Cape Hattery hat as linked. Used to wear it all the time especially when it was supposed to rain. Haven't worn it since I bought my first fur felt about a year and a half ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo