Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Linen-Mix Jacket on Ebay UK

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
True, hbk. Why bother with a belt, when you don't suppress the waist?

Regarding the label: At Ralph Lauren they sure took their history lessons.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
A belt with pleats helps to accentuate the waist, giving a v-shape to the body. Without the pleats it doesn't and just draws attention to the fact that the cut is not as flattering as it could be.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i don't know.

even though i praised RRL in this post...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Ralph-Lauren&p=1417298&viewfull=1#post1417298

... there's something about Ralph Lauren that just irks me. is it because it essentially feels like vintage served up to tasteless yuppies ?
is it because he get's it so close to perfect but then ruins it with something stupid like low-rise trousers ?
is it just sour grapes because i can't afford it ?

i don't know.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Don't bother. With your size you find enough vintage originals that are far superior in quality. And let's not forget your skills as a tailor. You have much better options available than RRL.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still think it is a good thing that he does this stuff. Imagine the guys who buy RRL would buy true vintage. They apparently have sh*#loads of money so they would outbid us on every freakin auction. No way.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Don't bother. With your size you find enough vintage originals that are far superior in quality. And let's not forget your skills as a tailor. You have much better options available than RRL.

i know, i wouldn't buy anything by him unless it was something i couldn't make, or couldn't find in original vintage. but why does he irk me so ?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Floz, i heard that guy isn't the designer, but a buyer; he goes around finding vintage items for inspiration or for sale in RRL stores (nice work if you can get it). when i was in the RRL store in London they had some original 1930s boots for sale, and other objets d'art.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
HBK I hear you. The thing that irks me about RRL is that I know they have some pieces that are vintage inspired and I would like to have (the belted action back jackets in tweed and linen), but everytime I go into a RL store I never actually really see anything like that. Most of the things I see look like 1980s version of pastel items from either Take Ivy or The Flamingo Kid, or that strange western wear (for someone who wants to look like Jon Voight from Midnight Cowboy?). The few things I do like are so overpriced for what they are its not even funny: cotton fair isle-ish sweaters for $300, or pseudo crickit jumpers for $400, etc.

However, once I did get lucky and nab some club collared shirts an outlet store for cheap, so I guess I should not complain too much...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i hadn't really even considered RL until about 2003 when i saw a nice dogtooth cardigan in a magazine fashion shoot, so went to the London (flagship) store to take a look (ah, so naive); it was £600. not $... £. i left in a state of incomprehension and have been in a similar state ever since. to this day i don't own a single RL item. i think it really is a rich man's world, the world of RL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925