Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
4Mica said:
Lauren by Ralph Lauren= Bottom of the line, licensed out clothing.
Polo by Ralph Lauren (Blue Label)= A step up in quality but still fused contruction on jackets.
Polo Collection by Ralph Lauren= Another step up.
(New)Polo Black Label= A new very slim clothing line, another step up.
Polo Purple Label= Top of the line, quality clothing, very expensive at retail. Shoes are made by Edward Green (England), Suits and Shirts are made by two different high quality Italian makers.

This is off the top of my head, I just read an unauthorized biography of Ralph Lifshitz, aka Ralph Lauren. If any has better info please correct me.
All correct. I am a fan of the blue and purple label, though to buy at teh prices they ask is too much for me. I'd rather have something custom made.

4Mica

New in Town
For me the two best things about Polo are that most of the stuff is pretty classic and they can usually be found for a steep discount. Anyone who pays retail, though, is out of their mind.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did any of you guys mention the RRL line? That is (was) Ralph's Golden Era inspired line? I think it is all but discontinued, except for maybe one location here in NYC (if that's even still around). It was great stuff--I have some of it. Hollywood waisted pants, buckle back pants, an awesome double breasted seersucker jacket, and more that I can't remeber now! Sometimes RRL winds up on Ebay, but not often.
flat-top

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When it comes to suits, always err toward a good fit over a good make.

I love Polo suits, they are well made and have the high cut armhole I love. They don't fit my body shape.

Better to look good in a badly made well fitted suit than to look like you are wearing a badly fitting well made suit.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I just bought myself a Polo Blue label sport coat, I have to say the cut looks like something you'd see on an actor in a Hitchcock film from the late 50's, Vertigo or North by North West.

Big fat plaid, a very very soft fabric, three buttons and a very soft roll of the lapel that allows the lapel to go to the top or center button depending on which you wish to fasten. The side vents are more of a James Bond thing, though I like them on this jacket. The armholes are not as high as vintage, though they are pretty good. Feels like something I can stash in a bag for a trip and not worry about wrinkles.

I will post pics soon.

I'd love to have a Polo suit, though for the price, around a thousand for something that is very basic, like a solid blue or solid grey or a faint pinstripe, I think the cost is too much, especially since the pants are low cut and tapered. I need baggy and high waisted trousers. Jackets good, pants too mod.

The jacket cost $8 at a local goodwill.

Ed Driscoll

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
I've been a bit impressed while looking at some of the Polo Ralph Lauren clothes... Particularly in the Polo line.

Accept for the shirt and belt, this 3 button peaked lapel suit looks old school. Too bad they charge a leg and a leg for the Polo label.

pPOLO1-1436460_lifeorstandard_v330.jpg

Good looking suit. Would you have a link to the Webpage where that appears, or just that photo?

Ed

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have two new Polo suits and will post pics and tell the story of how I came by them when the pics come up

They are fantastically classic in their cut and fabric styles... the armholes are a bit restrictive in how low they are, not quite vintage.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I saw the coat to one of said suits of Matt's... I have to say, it's a sharp looking coat... can't wait to see the whole thing! The houndstooth plaid one I saw was really sharp... very Cary Grant like in this photo...

c-33%20w%20cary%20grant%202.jpg

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany