Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
99% of Ralph Lauren's stuff is expensive pure steaming crap. The RRL line is for the most part an exception. Many RRL garments are of exceptional quality and feature top-notch materials and precise details. Some of the recent chin-strap 20's and 30's style workshirts BLOW AWAY the Sugar Cane and Warehouse stuff. They've also produced a wide variety of great, well-patterned cinchback pants, both dress and utility. RRL also carries the BEST premium 30's and 40's vintage work, motorcycle, and military clothing (too $$$ but fun to look at and try on).
Mind you, RRL has produced some monstrous clunkers as well. It is still part of a giant corporate machine.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For Tailored Clothing

Zach R. said:
I was wondering if someone could outline the general hierarchy when it comes to Ralph Lauren/Polo apparel?
Generally speaking:
Purple Label
Black Label
Blue Label
Green Label
Chaps
Polo University Club

But, when and by whom(RL has used and uses many different makers) a particular garment was made may affect this list.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
pPOLO1-1436460_lifeorstandard_v330.jpg

I love those shoes!! As for the suit...I don't really like the cut and for over $1000 its not worth it to me. I could buy so much more with $1000 than a single suit!! :mad:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if you men have access to a Ralph Lauren Outlet, but right now they have incredible wool/cashmere blend cuffed mens slacks in a few different colors as well as a houndstooth and a plaid. I, being a gal, did not try them on, so I don't know if they are high waisted enough for you. They also had some beautiful wool tweed-like sport coats with elbow patches. They did not have a belted back, but they were very vintagey. I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of men's vintagey clothes at the outlets. They just got their fall collection in. They also had a few nice suits that were really low in price. Oh, the slacks were $79.99 and the jacket was $179.00. I thought that for Ralph Lauren, this was a great price. As usual, the ladies garments were nothing to talk about. I hope maybe some of you will find this information helpful. Oh, I almost forgot, they also had a few differnt, very vintage looking, bow ties for $5!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
He has alot of vintage styles. He buys alot of vintage and copies and ads his own touches. I like the details, though wishe the legs were wider
I just picked up an interesting pair of Ralph Lauren pants. They are summer wool, off-white with navy regent stripes. They are high-waisted and have very wide legs. No pleats though. Still, great 20s inspired pants. They look great with a blazer.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I've seen some RL stuff that was very wide legged. And some of the sales at the end of the season are extraordinary...if you can still find your size.
I've seen pieces in the RRL line that were exceptionally devoted to recreating the original. Occasionally you will see a simpler, cheaper version in the polo line.
If you know the name of the piece youre looking, it'll turn up on ebay.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Trousers by "Polo" Ralph Lauren are not difficult to find at Los Angeles thrift stores. (The bigger ones, such as Goodwill and Salvation Army.) My best RL score at a thrift store was a pair of Italian gabardine trousers with side tabs, made for Ralph Lauren's Purple Label.

Most thrift stores sell Ralph Lauren clothing for the same price as their other clothes: very, very cheap. And more and more, they're selling deadstock, never-worn items, donated directly by the manufacturers.

In short, give thrift stores a try.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I was talking with Matt Deckard last night about Ralph, we were talking about how nice the suit he has is... but, one small gripe Matt had (And I have about most modern suits) is the pants don't have much of a rise or, they're cut very narrow. We'd like to see (As most of you all would as well I'm sure) is Ralph L. copy pants from the late 30's with pleats. His pants do have pleats but, they're shallow and the pants taper too much. Bring back a fuller bodied drape with a nice deep pleat! It's so much nicer looking and feels nicer too!

Oh yeah, and the arm holes.:rolleyes: lol Can't forget that!

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I picked up some interesting goods at the Polo Outlet over the summer- a pair of dark green/olive forward-facing pleated pants with a pretty high rise and suspender buttons and a belted/pleated back jacket made from a heavy tan cotton herringbone.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Very classic. I still like his stuff. That is how a suit should fit. Very American, close at the shoulders and close to the body.

The 40's suits were broader in the shouolder and aimed more for a good drape. The 30's were into the fit.This is modern, though it looks "tight" (good) -- and with the brown shoes the outfit is finished.

pPOLO2-1424789_standard_dt.jpg
Yeah sure it looks nice and slim but RL pins out the @$$

Zach R.

Practically Family
It just goes to show that their ARE nice fashions besides those of the Golden Era. I think that some of the modern "slim-cut" suits are really nice, some designers take it too far and make them fit too "tight"(the bad kind) sometimes, but overall its a nice look, and if I had the Physique for it, I'd definitely take 'em into my wardrobe.

*ducks and covers*:p

Feraud

Bartender
Wild Root said:
We'd like to see (As most of you all would as well I'm sure) is Ralph L. copy pants from the late 30's with pleats. His pants do have pleats but, they're shallow and the pants taper too much. Bring back a fuller bodied drape with a nice deep pleat! It's so much nicer looking and feels nicer too!
Good point but RL will never cut pants like that. The trend is a "metrosexual" cut for men. Hence the "too tight" look of the suits. Too much fashion, not enough "classic" in the suit.

Lancealot

Practically Family
I picked up a brown pin striped Chaps suit that I enjoy very much and always get compliments on. I think it drapes nicely and has that classic look. I got hooked on Chaps because of an ex-girlfriend and really like there stuff it looks nice and it's in my price ranges.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zach R. said:
Are the Ralph Lauren Outlets the same deal as the Brooks Brothers Outlets in the way that they have slightly inferior quality apparel made especially for the outlets, or are they true "outlets"?
Good question. From what I see, they are true factory outlets. Though, they do have these three suit colors constantly, which makes me wonder if they are made for the outlets, but the ties, shirts, polos, and random other things, seem to always be different.
Also, the tags are the same.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Zach R. said:
Are the Ralph Lauren Outlets the same deal as the Brooks Brothers Outlets in the way that they have slightly inferior quality apparel made especially for the outlets, or are they true "outlets"?
You could find true Brooks merchandise at the outlets last week I bought two "Makers" ties for $39 and a pair of the regular store line (can't remember if it's makers) socks for $7

ideaguy

One Too Many
Why not get pictures of the best examples RL has to offer in your style, learn a bit about the fabrics used by his top labels, and go to the tailor? I've got a
wonderful guy in our small city that is a magician-turns thrift items into WOW
items for very reasonable $$; Will be approaching him about a three-season
wool & cashmere blend suit next month; will try to post photos when done-
if Ralph can copy & pull it off, why can't we?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes