Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoys N1 deck jacket

breezer

Practically Family
I've been hooked on deck jackets for a while now and finally managed to track down a pre owned Real McCoy's deck jacket in khaki. As expected, the quality is exceptional.
IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9642.JPG
IMG_9641.JPG
IMG_9638.JPG

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats. A recent batch of the 2013 design. Different colour of the Real McCoy's N-1 have different cut not to mention the different batches/design. The Navy colour will usually have slimmer body, longer sleeves but shorter body than a khaki one of the same size.

Lovely. N-1's are now my favorite cold weather jackets. I don't get to wear mine often enough, but this year we've been colder than normal and it's getting more wear. Enjoy it, they'll last forever.

breezer

Practically Family
Congrats. A recent batch of the 2013 design. Different colour of the Real McCoy's N-1 have different cut not to mention the different batches/design. The Navy colour will usually have slimmer body, longer sleeves but shorter body than a khaki one of the same size.

thanks for the info! Regarding the fit - if truth be told this one is probably half a size too small for me…..its quite a slim fit and the arms a fraction too short for my liking, but hey ho, thats how it goes when you buy something online. If I don't get along with it I'll flip it for a size up.

CBI

One Too Many
Looks great - my BR N-1 is becoming my favorite winter coat. Still missing my original but it was too big.

Peacoat

Bartender
What is the lining of these repros? My original lining is wool, and it is a warm jacket. I'm wonderng how the repros compare to the originals. As this one is a Real McCoy, I'm thinking it will compare very favorably.

breezer

Practically Family
the wool lining is great - not too thick and quite soft…..I'll post some fit pics soon, and some notes comparing it to my Houston N1.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is the lining of these repros? My original lining is wool, and it is a warm jacket. I'm wonderng how the repros compare to the originals. As this one is a Real McCoy, I'm thinking it will compare very favorably.

From Superdenim

- Plain design without USN Decals
- 100% Grosgrain cotton shell outer
- Alpaca Lined
- Alpaca Collar
- 1940's Bell Type Talon Zipper
- Made in Japan

Product Code: MJ13111

Edward

Bartender
I handled one of the RMC N1s at their store in Covent Garden. Lovely bit of kit, beautifully made. I'm keen on one of the Pike Brothers ones, myself- still have to decide whether I prefer the green or the blue, though.

breezer

Practically Family
I might be selling my blue N1 - Houston brand - tagged as a 40", but I would describe it as a large size. Message me if interested.

I handled one of the RMC N1s at their store in Covent Garden. Lovely bit of kit, beautifully made. I'm keen on one of the Pike Brothers ones, myself- still have to decide whether I prefer the green or the blue, though.
I'd really like a blue one as well. One of each should be good - esp in SoCal ;)

breezer

Practically Family
Very much enjoying my N1 - but the slightly too short sleeve length is grating as the storm cuffs are riding up my wrists. So today I stopped by the alterations shop and they can shift the storm cuffs forward - unfortunately there isn't much on the sleeves themselves - would it look bad if the storm cuffs protruded slightly?

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town
the wool lining is great - not too thick and quite soft…..I'll post some fit pics soon, and some notes comparing it to my Houston N1.
Hi Breezer, nice jacket.... how do you rate the Houston jackets?... I've got a buzz rickson n1 and was looking to pick up one of their b15's but noticed that Houston make one as well, but considerably cheaper... is the difference in quality proportionate to the price difference in your opinion?
Cheers
Dean

HPA Rep

Vendor
History Pres. (Eastman) has a nice blue one, Just do not like the large US Navy stencil on the back!

Have you not seen HPA's non-stenciled versions in both blue and khaki?

Blue:
https://www.historypreservation.com...-heavy-deck-jacket-non-stenciled-hpa-edition/

Khaki:
https://www.historypreservation.com...-heavy-deck-jacket-non-stenciled-hpa-edition/

There are members here who own these if they are inclined to chime in. Solely from my own experience, these heavyweight versions perfectly match the vintage NOS examples in heft, durability and weight. RMC and BR make the only N-1's that will favorably compare on all points to vintage jackets, with RMC being ever so much more luxurious, at least in the alpaca (softer), when compared to vintage, whereas BR has that slight prickliness to the alpaca that is a bit scratchy to some with sensitive skin, a characteristic of the vintage jackets. Both makers offer slightly varying degrees of excellent which can largely be objectively rated.

Edward

Bartender
I might be selling my blue N1 - Houston brand - tagged as a 40", but I would describe it as a large size. Message me if interested.

Alas, I'd be needing one at least two sizes bigger...

History Pres. (Eastman) has a nice blue one, Just do not like the large US Navy stencil on the back!

They're available with or without, of course... I'm in two minds. I like the look of the ones that have the stenciling from the original ships on them (it's not a jacket for 'tiy' wear - I'd never be in the position of pairing it with collar and tie), but the big USN alone I don't much care for.

In that case, can anyone explain to me why Eastman is charging 100pounds more with their original maker A-2s than their house A-2 jacket? I am sure they are of similar quality and for an untrained eye, they are essentially the same jacket. When we talk about Buco J-100, we are talking about a repro jacket, not just the pattern.

They'll be a fair bit more work to put together to get all the details right, so more labour intensive - more wriggle room for variation in the house jacket,s I'd say. That and, all done and said, Eastman are probably charging what the market will bear. Clearly there are people prepared to pay more for that additional level of period accuracy (and considerably moreso again, when you look at the popularity of Goodwear).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav