Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced Alligator and Lizard belts?

howardeye

Practically Family
Hi guys,

Does anyone know where one can get good quality gator, croc, lizard belts--for a decent price?

Also, what are a reasonable prices for gator, croc, and lizards?

And does anyone have knowledge about their durability?

Thanks a lot!!

I would have this guy make me one if I was looking. He has several different styles even lower priced. There are many alligator belts on Etsy even used and vintage. I do not know about durability. I have a few rattlesnake tanned items and they are said to last a lifetime.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/116371154/mens-leather-black-alligator-genuine

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87052227/mens-leather-alligator-genuine-belt-made

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I find most bargains on things from eBay as far as alligator or Croc. That hat band/belt is "killer" and really is fantastic on the hat! Nice find!

giovanni

Familiar Face
Thanks howardeye!

I'll look em up...I wish Brooks Brothers weren't overcharging on their alligator belts because then I'd just pick on up there. That store has got to have some of the worst value out there.

giovanni

Familiar Face
You can be quite friendly nice hat dude...earlier I thought you were trying to provoke me..

Yes, a lot of US companies will not ship to Canada...I trued to make an order with Trafalgar and they told me they wont ship to Canada.

I suspect it might be because of some legality surrounding transporting American alligator skins out of the US...but perhaps it is anti-Canadian racism!! They might gives us their alligators for the shale sands in Alberta though.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I often pair an exotic strap with a dress buckle to wear with a suit; Particularly the gold and sterling slide buckles.

Some of my collection:

Shoes097.jpg

Yeah, I read him the same way and am not inclined to share my insights from 25 years of collecting buckles and straps.

Dear A.C. Lyles,

Congratulations on your collection.
Thanks for sharing the photo.
If it is interesting for anyone here I know a single leatherworker in Budapest.
http://www.crocodilly.hu/frontpage.aspx?l=en
He processes and carries baby alligator and lizardskin.
His prices reflect the raw material cost, his artisanship and expertise.
His croco belt cost around 80000 HUF which translates into 400 USD or some such.
I think this is the normal price.
At an artisan, where you pay the material, the mastership and no logo. The brandname would cost even more. Maybe several times more.

I consumed often his products, I buy cowhide belts from him and avancorpo (front quarter) vegetable tanned bovine leather (from Florence) bag as well.
He stopped making those leatherbags since there are less and less people who want to pay for that. Belts are still going.
He told me a lot about his love; LEATHER :D. Refreshing to talk with the man.
He said his fav is cowhide, that the reptile skins must be mounted on hide, how difficult it is to work with them, and how difficult it is for him that he has to 'excuse' himself for the price of his luxury goods. If you see that green croco Handbag on his webpage, that is something that belongs in a museum of applied arts I think.

Yes there are a lot of printed leather, ox or cow or steer printed and lacquered to look as reptile skin.
Mr. Szemes however gives reptile when he means reptile.

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
You can be quite friendly nice hat dude...earlier I thought you were trying to provoke me..

Yes, a lot of US companies will not ship to Canada...I trued to make an order with Trafalgar and they told me they wont ship to Canada.

I suspect it might be because of some legality surrounding transporting American alligator skins out of the US...but perhaps it is anti-Canadian racism!! They might gives us their alligators for the shale sands in Alberta though.
Always friendly Mr.G provocation isn't in my genetics,as I said earlier I was just inquiring on how you're making out on your search for a new belt and if I remember correctly I didn't think we were allowed to bring crocodile or python skin items into Canada,not sure about alligator though,now getting them shipped in I'm not sure how that works.

Feraud

Bartender
I would have this guy make me one if I was looking. He has several different styles even lower priced. There are many alligator belts on Etsy even used and vintage. I do not know about durability. I have a few rattlesnake tanned items and they are said to last a lifetime.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/116371154/mens-leather-black-alligator-genuine

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87052227/mens-leather-alligator-genuine-belt-made

I browsed through his Etsy site and wouldn't hesitate to order the reptile or leather goods.
The guy does very nice work.

Last edited:

giovanni

Familiar Face
It does look fine, except he charges retail on his belts. If I am ordering from some feminine hand made online bazaar-flea market I expect it to be priced accordingly.

giovanni

Familiar Face
Both hats were nice, but I really like the one with the braided leather strap...Exceptional! I wish I could pull off a fedora, I think my head is a too small for em. I do have a toque and a shearling fur trapper hat that I use when it is cold, but nothing as stylish as yours.

I also have the same bed sheets, covers...hehehe! I am a sucker for geometric patterns.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliment Mr.G,the one with the braided band is an Akubra Snowy River,I also own a few cowboy hats there is another picture of me wearing my straw on the "Your favorite picture" thread page 29 thread can be found in the Observation Bar Forum.As far as the bedding I think it's called a "South Western"motif.They make fedoras to suit all types of heads and I believe that the shopping is half the fun of buying anyway.Thxs again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo