Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a leather field jacket

music321

New in Town
I love this forum. I just discovered it. Can any of you recommend a great leather field jacket?

I had one until 2004, when I took it off in a restaurant so as not to get food on it, and LEFT IT THERE!!!

it's about time to get a new one.

thanks.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Off the top of my head I can only think of Orvis. They make (or made) a very nice looking leather field jacket but it was rather expensive and likely made of lambskin.

Then there is Belstaff but again, you'll probably be paying for style over substance.

May be worthwhile checking them out as a reference to the style you're after. Have you got a budget in mind?

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
On field jackets, there is the Rosamond in the Barbour "Steve McQueen Collection" at £600 (but it is in lambs leather), if I were spending that sort of money I would save a little more and go for an "Admiral Byrd" Aero jacket available through Kentaurus an Aero retailer in Cologne, Germany, or possibly their "Norfolk", I'm not sure if Aero would sell these direct as Kentaurus may have some sort of patent on these, however I would contact Aero and ask if it is possible, if not Aero will modify one of their existing patterns ie Cheyanne or Stockman to suit your requirements and would not charge a fortune for doing so.

D

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
On field jackets, there is the Rosamond in the Barbour "Steve McQueen Collection" at £600 (but it is in lambs leather), if I were spending that sort of money I would save a little more and go for an "Admiral Byrd" Aero jacket available through Kentaurus an Aero retailer in Cologne, Germany, or possibly their "Norfolk", I'm not sure if Aero would sell these direct as Kentaurus may have some sort of patent on these, however I would contact Aero and ask if it is possible, if not Aero will modify one of their existing patterns ie Cheyanne or Stockman to suit your requirements and would not charge a fortune for doing so.

D

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Barbour leather jackets are not worth mentioning these days, they want aero money and cost at least 3 times what they are really worth. I had one of the older internationals in leather and that was aaalllright for the money,just, but the recent ones I have seen and felt are just not worth bothering with.

wdw

One Too Many
I've got the Belstaff Panther leather field jacket, in the slightly lighter summer version. Having now been to the Aero factory a couple of times for a serious fondle of all their hides, I can safely say that the Aero quality is in a different league entirely.

Apart from that, Aero is only two thirds the price, so if you can get them to mod one of their designs, then you can be sure you're getting maximum bang for your buck.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Be certain about how heavy you want the jacket to be. Some of the premium brands like Aero make great stuff but I don;t liek wearing such heavyweight leather, I feel like I'm in a straightjacket... Remember a big coat like this might weigh 8 pounds - fine if you like that kind of thing.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Be certain about how heavy you want the jacket to be. Some of the premium brands like Aero make great stuff but I don;t liek wearing such heavyweight leather, I feel like I'm in a straightjacket... Remember a big coat like this might weigh 8 pounds - fine if you like that kind of thing.

And the rest, I asked aero about a jacket similar style to a barbour international and going through the footage of leather for my size (47 inch chest 6 ft tall) with Will ,he reaconed on about 14 pounds .....scared me off totally. 10 pounds I could live with but 14 was just too much.

I went throught the footage again and with the 4 oz leather I still came to a figure of around 12 pounds but once you start throwing the crap you carry round with you in the pockets the weight would be too much.. the thing would have been left in the wardrobe and never get worn.

I am going my own one now and it is going to be in 1.1- 1.2mm cowhide so should come in around 7 pounds which should be spot on for colder weather but would work uf a sweat in the summer.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
I'm not sure what you mean by a field jacket but if your looking for something like a Barbour international j peterman has two. One In black in their last chance department and one in brown in the regular department. I have the black jacket and really do enjoy it. I think the two jackets are cut from the same pattern so both may have the same benefits and same draw backs. Either way they may be worth a look
The black jacket
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Things/LC-Motorcycle-Jacket
The brown jacket
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Outerwear/Elbow-Patch-Motorcycle-Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And the rest, I asked aero about a jacket similar style to a barbour international and going through the footage of leather for my size (47 inch chest 6 ft tall) with Will ,he reaconed on about 14 pounds .....scared me off totally. 10 pounds I could live with but 14 was just too much.

I went throught the footage again and with the 4 oz leather I still came to a figure of around 12 pounds but once you start throwing the crap you carry round with you in the pockets the weight would be too much.. the thing would have been left in the wardrobe and never get worn.

I am going my own one now and it is going to be in 1.1- 1.2mm cowhide so should come in around 7 pounds which should be spot on for colder weather but would work uf a sweat in the summer.

14 pounds? Yikes. I hear you and I personally wouldn't get a jacket that was more than 2.5oz thick. Thick enough for any real world purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy