Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
cue the chorus of Campdraft suggestions in 3.....2.....1....

... and they would be correct

get a Bluegrass Green Campdraft and call it a day

boom!!!

... and this is coming from a guy who is not a big Akubra fan ... but trust me it is what you are looking for

Last edited:
As by subject. I would like a reasonably robust hat to be worn outdoor, of rabbit (or better!) felt, that is soft. I have an Akubra Banjo Patterson, which I love, but I would consider it way too stiff in terns of softness... I'm after something far more pliable, though not wool.
I've got a Nutria blend hat from Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouette...He used to have 2 standard models in this felt = very durable, great "using" outdoor hat. Use it hunting, fishing, etc. in cooler months. Bluegrass Green Campdraft as Moon stated was my go-to lid before getting this one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Nutria blend hat from Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouette...He used to have 2 standard models in this felt = very durable, great "using" outdoor hat. Use it hunting, fishing, etc. in cooler months. Bluegrass Green Campdraft as Moon stated was my go-to lid before getting this one.

+1 to the above.

How about a custom Gannon hat in beaver? Not a lot more $'s and the beaver felt is dynamite. I used the Blue Grass Campdraft as the outdoor (tough conditions hat) before my Gannon beaver felted fedoras.

Akubra Campdraft:
i-RZcKzQF-M.jpg

Gannon:
i-4hRb2hS-M.jpg

Lots of pics for reference of hats surviving the natural world here - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/photographs-of-hats-fresh-from-surviving-the-elements.36156/

Eric -

Last edited:

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Hi,

My name is Andy and I live in London at the moment but like to get into the outdoors as often as I can. I wear lots of different hats and wouldn't part with any of them.

I love my Tilleys and I have a have a Barmah squashy oiled hat that gets a good deal of wear too but I have been hankering for a more refined but still weather capable Fedora in felt.

I like the look of the Stetson explorer but two things make me pause, firstly the practicality of trying the hat on and seeing the fit. I generally take a 7 1/2 size but nobody near here seems to have the things in stock. Secondly, I'm wondering about that particular felt type as a long lasting hat that will stand up to the rain.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this particular hat and/or alternatives..? I do, when I get the chance, a fair amount of fly fishing and am not put off by the rain so something that would keep warm in a deluge would be just the ticket.

(I know somebody is going to call me Ian because the handle looks like that but I'm iamasmith@ at most places :))

Kind regards,

Andy

Akubra banjo paterson is very similar in style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan_289

Familiar Face
+1 to the above.

How about a custom Gannon hat in beaver? Not a lot more $'s and the beaver felt is dynamite. I used the Blue Grass Campdraft as the outdoor (tough conditions hat) before my Gannon beaver felted fedoras.

i-RZcKzQF-M.jpg

i-4hRb2hS-M.jpg

Lots of pics for reference of hats surviving the natural world here - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/photographs-of-hats-fresh-from-surviving-the-elements.36156/

Eric -

Those Gannons look SWEET!

Ive got a bluegrass green Campdraft in the regualar grade felt and a Fed IV in heritage. IMO the felt feels much nicer in the Heritage grade but I like them both.

And what about the Fed IV then? stiffer felt than the campdraft?
In my experience, no. I have three Campdrafts and two Fed IVs that are all made from Akubra's Imperial Quality felt. The Fed IVs and two of the Campdrafts had about the same amount of stiffness when I received them, but the other Campdraft was almost stiffer than all of the other hats combined. Some members here think certain colors are stiffer than others, but I believe it's simply a matter of how much stiffener gets applied to a particular hat during the process of creating it; i.e. it's a roll of the dice, and the amount of stiffener applied to each hat body is inconsistent.

That being said, my third Fed IV is made from Akubra's Heritage Quality felt and, while it doesn't feel stiffer than my other Akubras, it does feel more substantial. All things being equal, I'd bet that hat would last longer than my Imperial Quality Akubras.

Akubra's hats aren't the highest quality hats available, but between their reputation for durability and comparatively low pricing they're a very good choice for an "outdoors" hat regardless of which style you choose.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
As by subject. I would like a reasonably robust hat to be worn outdoor, of rabbit (or better!) felt, that is soft. I have an Akubra Banjo Patterson, which I love, but I would consider it way too stiff in terns of softness... I'm after something far more pliable, though not wool.

I agree with all the recommendations you've received, but FWIW, you can reduce the Banjo's stiffness with alcohol.

I agree with all the recommendations you've received, but FWIW, you can reduce the Banjo's stiffness with alcohol.
So, the stiffer you get, the softer the hat gets? :D

Okay, seriously, is this because the alcohol reacts with the stiffener making it less effective? What type of alcohol--rubbing, denatured, or? And how do you apply it to the felt? I ask because I'm still learning about hats, and this kind of information might come in handy some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner