Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

Chips

New in Town
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a brimmed hat that can actually be used in inclement conditions? I want something to keep me in the shade when its sunny and dry when its raining that will stand up to some proper use. I need it for fishing, walking and canoeing.

Although I do use a gas mask bag for fishing, I'm not especially looking for an indy look :)

Thanks.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chips said:
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a brimmed hat that can actually be used in inclement conditions? I want something to keep me in the shade when its sunny and dry when its raining that will stand up to some proper use. I need it for fishing, walking and canoeing.

Although I do use a gas mask bag for fishing, I'm not especially looking for an indy look :)

Thanks.
Sounds like a job for Akubra.

Chips

New in Town
danofarlington said:
Sounds like a job for Akubra.
I had ruled out akubra due to some folks on here saying that they don't stand up to being wet as well as hoped. However if this is not the case I would gladly spend my money on an akubra.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Who says this? Akubra's rabbit felt is outstanding: these hats laugh off a good soaking like it's nothing! Akubra hats can actually improve with additional exposure to the elements... Any hat from Akubra's Country line would be a fine choice.

Bebop

Practically Family
fluteplayer07 said:
Full site for Tilley.

If fashion isn't part of your criteria.

Tilley isn't a fashion? Let's not get elitist about it......

It sounds like you are wanting an Akubra. There are many different types of Akubras and they have never let me down, in any weather conditions. I've taken my Banjo Paterson everywhere from big city to country and after 6 years, it has only become better.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Here's my Akubra Fed IV after wearing it in the rain. It looked brand new the next day:

IMG_5290.jpg

danofarlington

Chips said:
I had ruled out akubra due to some folks on here saying that they don't stand up to being wet as well as hoped. However if this is not the case I would gladly spend my money on an akubra.
Actually I don't own one yet myself. But all the notes I read on the forum point in the direction of Akubras being good weather hats. I want to buy a Squatter for that reason. To me, part of the fun of using felt hats is to utilize them for one of their original functions, which is rain and sun protection. I have used a good-quality beater hat bought at a second-hand store for a rain hat, exclusively, and it's fine. Supposedly Akubras are especially tough, and I would have confidence going that route for your purposes. Personally I would avoid Tilley for style reasons--they're just not as cool-looking as felt hats. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it, they must be cheaper. Another alternative for you is to purposely buy an inexpensive felt vintage hat on E-Bay and use it as a beater.

Chips

New in Town
Well if sounds like I have my wires crossed. I would love an akubra if I could wear it for protection.

Just looking at the cattleman :)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
You might also consider the Akubra Territory. The 4 inch unbound brim would provide a lot of protection and if you decide it is too much you could cut a bit off the edge.

Neophyte

Owning both Tilley hats and Akubra hats, here's what I've to say:

Tilley's are nigh indestructible, have foam inserts in the brim so they float on water if dropped (not all models), have ventilation eyelets and chinstraps, and if you register your hat, Tilley offers a lifetime guarantee; if you ever manage to wear your hat out, you'll get a new one for FREE if you send your old hat in. They have hidden pockets with waterproof pouches in the crown, and provide great protection from sun, wind, and rain.

However they are not the most attractive hats, and I'd really only wear them on outdoors trips and VERY casual days.

Akubra hats, at least the few I own, are also really, really durable and resistant to damage from rain (I filled one with water so my dog could drink out of it, just to see if Akubra's claim was accurate. It was a success!). I've only had one lose it's shape after getting caught in a huge rainstorm, but that was only because I messed with it's shape before it dried. They absorb water and dry quickly, and only get softer and more comfortable in the process.

So here's my final thoughts:

If you want a hat that lasts for decades, is replaceable for free, comes with its own manual, and don't much care how it looks (not to mention a hat practically designed for the high seas), go with a Tilley.

If you want a hat that's probably as durable (no lifetime guarantee though), more lighweight, stylish, and comfortable, go with Akubra.

They are about the same price too, though Akubra may cost just a bit more because of shipping.

Hope this helps...

--Alexander.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I don't own a Tilley, and have never so much as held one, so I can't speak to them. I have owned 3 Akubras, though. I sold one, but that was a matter of size, nothing more. My Campdraft has seen harder wear than my Stylemaster, & I've had it for about ayear. I've worn it in the sun, in the rain, mowing grass, moving, in the snow, you name it, and it has held up just fine. I don't have any recent pics, but it looks brand new. I don't hesitate to wear it in any weather.

Edited to add: Wait, there's one exception. I do hesitate to wear my CD when the temperature is over about 85*F.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Chips said:

Not sure how you got that impression. Akubras are some of the toughest rabbit hats around. I would not hesitate to recommend an Akubra for outdoor use.

theinterchange

One Too Many
To paraphrase that green swamp dwelling Jedi...

"Akubra... You seek Akubra!"

Tough hats! Once, I beat my Federation Deluxe with a stick, squashed it, sat on it, and rolled it into a ball. [Long story, I wanted to soften the felt quickly] after all that, I steamed it out, put in a new bash and it looked good as new... but was much softer.

I expected the hat to show some signs of wear after that abuse, however intentional, but nope... it looks fantastic!

Randy

Chips

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I am now decided on an Akubra. I just have to decide which one. Unfortunately there is nowhere around here I can go and see them in person.

Neophyte

Chips said:
Thanks everyone. I am now decided on an Akubra. I just have to decide which one. Unfortunately there is nowhere around here I can go and see them in person.

That's the case with most of us. The only authorized dealer in the US is on the opposite side of the country from me (I live in Southeast, store's in the Northwest lol).

That's what TFL is for, though. There's a thread dedicated to almost every model (of their fashion line and some of their Country line, at least), so look around and enjoy the experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21