Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
they are the default hat for farmers over here for good reason. They can take the abuse and hard work of life on a farm - the heat, dust, cold, rain, sweat, livestock. A silverbelly CD will end its life on the farm, stained red from the dust, encrusted in salt from sweat, and undoubtably with a few tears & holes in the crown & brim. But it would have lived a much harder life to that point than most city-dwellers would ever subject it to.

carldelo

One Too Many
One other

The Stetson Dune (from the Gun Club collection) would be a good choice for the uses you describe, although it would probably cost at least twice as much. An old friend used one for hiking and fishing and it worked really well and looked great.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hey Chips;
I too own both Tilley and Akubra, 3 Tilley's and 4 Akubras. Like Neophyte said, the Tilley is practically indestructible. My Tilley T3 went through a boat motor prop running wide open on a lake in Alabama a few years back on a fishing trip, and the only thing that happened to it was that it got wet. I don't understand why some say that it isn't "stylish". Style isn't important when you're fishin'. But it does fit certain style needs from time to time, ie, summer vacationing in a beach community; anytime you're at a resort town in the summer and need a cool hat to keep the sun or rain off your ears, neck, and noggin. My Akubra's are just as tough and just a usable. I wear my Cattleman mowing, gardening, hiking, cooler weather fishing, anytime I'm going to be outside and need to keep sun or rain off. Speaking of "style", my natural Tilley looks a lot better walking down the beach early in the morning than my Campdraft or Fed IV would. :p Both are tough, good looking, long wearing hats. You'd be happy with either, in fact to be even happier, get one of each! You'll be glad you did.

Preacher Man

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

If you're willing to go to the Tilley, a simple tan or olive drab boonie hat from your local surplus store will also fit the bill. I have one with Disney mickey mouse and NRA pins on it.

later

MCrider

A-List Customer
Good choice on the Akubra, Chips. Like most people here, I have more than one (and another on order) and can tell you that they will serve you well. My Moonstone Fed IV has been snowed on until it piled up about a half inch around the brim and the next day you'd never have known it. Another one, a charcoal Sydney has been drenched in downpours with the same result. As others have said, I doubt you'll go wrong with whatever style you pick. Personally though I stick with the fedora style hats and leave the Snowy River style to those drovers and ranchers that need them.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have an Akubra Down Under that is over 20 years old now and still looks almost new. But I've kind of babied it over the years. A couple of other Akubras are in rotation and not being babied and are holding up just as well.

My Tilley has been through the wringer and seems indestructible. It's been in the washing machine a number of times and still looks good.

I'd say both are excellent hats and can take it. The Akubra looks better, though.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've not had a lot of experience with Akubra hats, but I will say I've not been very impressed with their sweatbands. My Adventurer's sweatband shrunk quite a bit--I had to keep stretching it, and it soon became rather stiff despite applications of Lexol. Might just be the unique chemistry of my own sweat, though.

There have been others who have commented that Akubra's run slightly large to make up for the shrinkage, but I did notice that the sweatband on the Traveling Hat has shrunk a full size from it's marked size of 60. YMMV, though, and I hope it does!

Cheers,
Tom

Here's the solution,

For water adventures, a Tilley, you can get it plenty wet, and replace when it goes bad if needed.

For land outings, an Akubra, which will give you protection from sun and rain, yet a dashing look.

The best of both worlds, and you can wear the Akubra on a plane, and pack the Tilley in your luggage.

iamasmith

New in Town
Hi,

My name is Andy and I live in London at the moment but like to get into the outdoors as often as I can. I wear lots of different hats and wouldn't part with any of them.

I love my Tilleys and I have a have a Barmah squashy oiled hat that gets a good deal of wear too but I have been hankering for a more refined but still weather capable Fedora in felt.

I like the look of the Stetson explorer but two things make me pause, firstly the practicality of trying the hat on and seeing the fit. I generally take a 7 1/2 size but nobody near here seems to have the things in stock. Secondly, I'm wondering about that particular felt type as a long lasting hat that will stand up to the rain.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this particular hat and/or alternatives..? I do, when I get the chance, a fair amount of fly fishing and am not put off by the rain so something that would keep warm in a deluge would be just the ticket.

(I know somebody is going to call me Ian because the handle looks like that but I'm iamasmith@ at most places :))

Kind regards,

Andy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi,

My name is Andy and I live in London at the moment but like to get into the outdoors as often as I can. I wear lots of different hats and wouldn't part with any of them.

I love my Tilleys and I have a have a Barmah squashy oiled hat that gets a good deal of wear too but I have been hankering for a more refined but still weather capable Fedora in felt.

I like the look of the Stetson explorer but two things make me pause, firstly the practicality of trying the hat on and seeing the fit. I generally take a 7 1/2 size but nobody near here seems to have the things in stock. Secondly, I'm wondering about that particular felt type as a long lasting hat that will stand up to the rain.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this particular hat and/or alternatives..? I do, when I get the chance, a fair amount of fly fishing and am not put off by the rain so something that would keep warm in a deluge would be just the ticket.

(I know somebody is going to call me Ian because the handle looks like that but I'm iamasmith@ at most places :))

Kind regards,

Andy

Given the parameters you've set out for your "outdoors Fedora" one brand comes to mind in todays' world, Akubra ! They currently make one of the BEST all around production made hat in the world. They are not mabe as fine a finish as can be found in vintage hats or custom made hats available today, but for a hat that can take the weather and just about anything you can throw at it they are really the BEST made today. And they make most of their hats in your size. There are many retailers both in Australia and here in the US so give 'em a look see and I'm sure you will find one to suit you just fine :)

iamasmith

New in Town
I like the look of the Tablelands in olive green (hmm, maybe I should have mentioned olive green - I seem to be fixated on that for this hat), nice looking hat indeed and quite rakish.

Country-Tablelands-BrownOlive-preview.jpg

Do you know what kind of felt they use? It doesn't seem to mention it on the site so I'm assuming wool.. and do you know if it's likely to warm when wet like tweed does..?

*EDIT* Sounds like Rabbit Fur from a little more digging.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the look of the Tablelands in olive green (hmm, maybe I should have mentioned olive green - I seem to be fixated on that for this hat), nice looking hat indeed and quite rakish.

Country-Tablelands-BrownOlive-preview.jpg

Do you know what kind of felt they use? It doesn't seem to mention it on the site so I'm assuming wool.. and do you know if it's likely to warm when wet like tweed does..?

*EDIT* Sounds like Rabbit Fur from a little more digging.

Nice color for sure ! And with a 3 1/4" brim it would shade your face and shed lots of rain. Another model sold by David Morgan exclusivly here in the US is the Bushman that has a bound brin as well as being 3 1/4" wide and comes in an olive tan color called Nullabor Tan. I've had one for over 30 years noew and wear it everywhere in all kinds of weather. I have it in a Fedora style with snapped front and pinched crown but it comes open crown so you can shape it anyway you want.
Here's my newer one 4
(4 years old):

Bushman1-1.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Tablelands? Hmmm . . . I may have to get one to go under my zebra skin hat band. I may even be motivated to get back to Africa again with a hat like that. Damn, now I have to start saving, first for the hat and then for the safari.

iamasmith

New in Town
Oooh, I see that the Australia Shop in London has a load of Akubras.. they don't have the Tablelands but they do have the Stockmans which I also quite like the look of. That might help me to sort out what cm fit I should get... bah, why can't they all use the old standard :D

I like that Bushman too monbla256, very stylish, suits you and looks good for 4 years wear in the weather. Anything particular you do to maintain it other than brush it..?

Last edited:

iamasmith

New in Town
Tablelands? Hmmm . . . I may have to get one to go under my zebra skin hat band. I may even be motivated to get back to Africa again with a hat like that. Damn, now I have to start saving, first for the hat and then for the safari.

It does rather inspire a sense of adventure doesn't it :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Seeing as how I'm another vocal Akubra guy on FL, I'll chime in and say that you can't go wrong with an Akubra. The Fed IV is my hat of choice, but Akubras, in general, are, in my humble opinion, the best factory made hats today.

Gromulus

Practically Family
And yet another vote for the durable Akubra. You would be hard pressed to find a better "value" in a factory hat IMO. The FED IV and Campdraft are very good and versatile styles but I would also look hard at the Bushman if you like the wider brim. This is one of my favorite hats and my pick for true outdoor use.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I rarely feel the need to look past Akubra for a new felt hat. For the kind of outdoor application you're looking, I would certainly recommend one of their Australian bush-hat styles. I've worn my Riverina in all weathers and temperatures (including in the middle of the worst rains in Hong Kong in 125 years, back in May 08) and it has always stood up to it. I preferred to remove the leather band and repalce it with a hand-wound pugaree, but that's to personal taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot