Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Oooh, I see that the Australia Shop in London has a load of Akubras.. they don't have the Tablelands but they do have the Stockmans which I also quite like the look of. That might help me to sort out what cm fit I should get... bah, why can't they all use the old standard :D

I like that Bushman too monbla256, very stylish, suits you and looks good for 4 years wear in the weather. Anything particular you do to maintain it other than brush it..?

Your looking at a hat that just gets worn with an occasional brushing from time to time. I have horses and this model has been my "barn" hat for a long time. I have added a Cattleman in Fawn as another "barn" hat this past year. Another 3 1/4" bound brim model which comes pre-creased. The problem with Akubra's is they have so many styles which would work PERFECTLY for what you want :)

iamasmith

New in Town
Now that's also a great looking hat Edward, personally I like the leather braid.. in fact leatherworking is one of my many hobbies and I do braids from time to time so if I replaced a braid it would be for one of my own :)

Duper

Practically Family
Hi iamasmith, I own a Tablelands. It does have a bit of a chameleon nature to the colour. Not a true green. It really is olive brown. I ordered mine with a 70mm brim from Sam at EA as I prefer the narrower brim. It is a rather stiff hat overall. Not saying that is a bad thing, but that is just the way it is. Akubras are terrific in the weather. Monbla256's idea of Bushman is also a nice idea if you prefer the wider brims. Also I will suggest the ever popular Campdraft in the bluegrass green with the 70mm brim from everythingaustralian as well. A softer hat with lots of character and your choice on defining its looks in a terrific shade of true green.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Andy -

Good advice steering you toward an Akubra for a new hat. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. There are essentially two grades of Akubras, Imperial and Heriitage. You can look up the purported differences, but from some rather unusual experiences I've been very inclined to believe the latter is worth the difference in price for dimensional stability alone. Both are good however, and will provide fine quality compared to offereings from other makers.

2. There are many different models of Akubras, and unfortunately they don't provide a lot of guidance about subtle and not-so subtle differences. For example, I have two Banjo Patersons which are comparable to the Federation Deluxe (both are Heritage grade) in thickness, but the former has more stiffening. However, the Lightning Ridge (again Heritage grade) is thicker, more typical of a "cowboy" hat. You have al lot of choices here and I'd ask around, plus searching a bit at this site.

3. Eventually you might want to look into vintage felts. Opinions differ, but I truly believe "they don't make them like that anymore" really does apply in this case. It might take you a while to figure out what you're looking for to make informed bids online, or search out flea markets, but some of these production line products are no longer reproducible. And are durable in all sorts of weather. Depends of course on what you want.

Best of luck to you!

- Bill

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Seeing as how I'm another vocal Akubra guy on FL, I'll chime in and say that you can't go wrong with an Akubra. The Fed IV is my hat of choice, but Akubras, in general, are, in my humble opinion, the best factory made hats today.

Like Scottyrocks and others I too am a fan of the Akubras.

scooter

Practically Family
I'll chime in and say this, I just don't think you can do much better than Akubra for your purpose. In terms of quality, and price, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

m0nk

One Too Many
Everyone else has already said it, but I too vote Akubra and would avoid anything wool since they will shrink and warp when worn in any real weather other than bright, sunny days. The real question is what sort of look are you going for? You noted the more "Outback" look of the Tablelands and Bushman but there are so many different styles that Akubra offers and they are all strong, durable hats.

Of course, you could always start with one and build a collection similar to what most of us have done; I started with a wool felt dress fedora, then realized it's shortcomings and got a Bushman, then added a panama, two federations, and ordered a custom hat... and I'm not done just yet. Each hat has it's own use, and while my Bushman was a good choice for going fishing, I needed others for the occasion.

pak

One of the Regulars
Andy, I found myself in your position recently. I went with an Akubra stylemaster for these reasons: 1) the price was such that, as a first felt hat, I can experiment with size, style and stiffness 2) I wanted a hat I can wear in the car and the brim is not so wide that I need to remove it while driving 3) the felt is stiff enough to stand up to wind and rain 4) this is a trainer hat for me, I hope to learn enough about felt and styles with this hat to someday know exactly what I would like in a true handmade hat. Thus far this hat has been very satisfactory in every way. I can without qualification recommend an Akubra.

Duper

Practically Family
Here is shot of my Tablelands after a 30 minute walk with the dogs tonight in the pouring rain. Wearing an Akubra I had zero concerns about the welfare of my hat after a good soaking. The Drizabone raincoat also came to me from Sam at EA. They were well paired tonight. The two fur felt hounds did OK too.;)

6428289701_bbc1c56faf_z.jpg

iamasmith

New in Town
Well, I'm now the owner of a Santone Fawn 'Down Under' model. It was, to be perfectly honest, all that they had in that was a fit at the stockist (The Australian Shop in Covent Garden) but after trying it I loved the look of it and let's face it I'm sure it won't be my last Akubra :)

I overestimated the size a little thinking it would be about 60cm, based on using a hat size of 7 1/2, but then realised that the 7 1/2 measurement came from a Tilley so probably slightly oversized anyway. Settled on a 59cm with a tiny shim of tissue in the band for a perfect fit.. 58 was just far too small.

I have to say it's noticeably warmer than any of my other hats so it looks like it will see a lot of wear over the next few months.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Andy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm now the owner of a Santone Fawn 'Down Under' model. It was, to be perfectly honest, all that they had in that was a fit at the stockist (The Australian Shop in Covent Garden) but after trying it I loved the look of it and let's face it I'm sure it won't be my last Akubra :)

I overestimated the size a little thinking it would be about 60cm, based on using a hat size of 7 1/2, but then realised that the 7 1/2 measurement came from a Tilley so probably slightly oversized anyway. Settled on a 59cm with a tiny shim of tissue in the band for a perfect fit.. 58 was just far too small.

I have to say it's noticeably warmer than any of my other hats so it looks like it will see a lot of wear over the next few months.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Andy

Congratulations! You'll find it to be everything you wanted and more! That's a nice color and with wear and sweat and weather you'll find it will settle down to fit you like a dream!! Welcome to the "club" of Akubra wearers :)

Last edited:

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Another fan of Akubra...my Tablelands in brown olive has seen everything from downpours while pheasant hunting in South Dakota to humid summer hikes in the American South to trout fishing on the Chattahoochee. It takes it all in stride and looks about as good as it did when it arrived 3 or 4 years ago...little late to the party but can't pass up an opportunity to brag on my favorite outdoor hat

Gromulus

Practically Family
Another fan of Akubra...my Tablelands in brown olive has seen everything from downpours while pheasant hunting in South Dakota to humid summer hikes in the American South to trout fishing on the Chattahoochee. It takes it all in stride and looks about as good as it did when it arrived 3 or 4 years ago...little late to the party but can't pass up an opportunity to brag on my favorite outdoor hat

From the pictures I have seen that brown-olive color of the Tablelands is very unique. I would like to see the Bushman offered in that color.

m0nk

One Too Many
Nice pic, I have that same exact set of waders. I wear my bushman when I fly fish, though. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24