Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for relieving the stiffness of a staw hat's crown?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I recently won an auction on a decent Beaver brand straw hat. However, the design of the crown (a pinch crown) is such that there's a fairly deep dent right down the center. I'd like it to fit just a bit further down on my head, but the material in the center sticks down far enough that it won't sit any lower.

Any recommendations on how I might be able to press that dent back about a half-inch without cracking the straw? it's VERY stiff.

I'm wondering if soaking the target area until it softens, pressing out enough relief to suit, and then wearing it until dry, might be a simple way to do it.

:confused:

RBH

Bartender
Yes, I would give it a try. I think you would have better luck with soaking than trying to steam it.
I bought a new straw Open Road and reshaped it with water like you are talking about. The stiff straw doesnt shape real easy , but if all you are doing is making the center dent move up some, I think it will work OK.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...should work

I have had a great deal of success using just the method suggested on a couple of cheapies, one was a Charlie-one-horse western straw & one was a
no-name purchase that was in a lot of three hats, I found them very pliable when wet & they dried quickly & retained the new contours ...my .02

... here's looking at you,
Rick

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now let's get something straight between us, honey.

:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:

Eh, em! The less expensive hats are heavily stiffened to hold the shape that would not otherwise be there. Unlike a quality Montecristi Super Fino, which you can gently "work" , ie. massage the straw to "soften" the stiffner, the hard pressed stamped and spray glued rice paper hats won't work if you wet or steam them, removing the stiffner. You can try to soften with steam...

Andykev's got it right. I tried to soften a nicely styled but cheap Dobbs Orleans straw in water and essentially ruined the hat. Oh well, it was only 40-some bucks new (as I recall), and it was still good for wearing when I expected to get dirty and sweaty. I eventually threw it away, though.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Hmmm. Sounds like the prospect of success depends on the material. Also sounds like if I want to try it, a light touch with the H2O might be advisable.

Maybe a project for this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24