Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red hair and olive skin?

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I've always loved red hair, however, I'm Jewish and Ukranian (Well, and Scottish and English, but I didn't seem to get much of those genes. :p ) so my skin is fairly olive toned. I've never got a sunburn, I just tan. Anyway, I was wondering if red hair could ever work with olive skin? I can't seem to find many pictures on google, any red hair pictures have super pale skin. Even auburn would be nice.
Any olive skinned people out there with reddish or auburn hair?

lareine

A-List Customer
I've seen plenty of people with darker skin who dye their hair red or blonde or whatever takes their fancy. It doesn't look natural, but if you don't care about that then go for it :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Dye your hair whatever colour you want. Mine has recently been bleach blonde, clown red, and black. Going back to my natural colour....

I'm a natural redhead so I am lucky :p

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Lucky you Kiri, to have such lovely olive skin, i have some italian family who are natural redheads with olive skin and brown eyes, it's not uncommon in Italy, whatever haircolour you choose will look lovely as you are a very pretty girl. You could go for some really bright red hair colours, they would look great against your warm skin tone. Just have some fun experimenting that's what it's all about! x

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm a natural redhead, but I do color now to cover up some greys. I'm pretty pale with freckles, dark brown eyes, and kind of golden undertones. I guess my question is, do you want it to look natural? You don't look very dark-skinned, even if you do have olive tones - so I don't see why you couldn't pull off a red of some sort. What color are your eyes?

I'm no expert, but my suggestion would be to avoid anything remotely purple or magenta-hued. Dark auburns frequently come out like this, and it always looks extremely fake.

I've seen color breakdowns of the "types" of redheads. I'm a "peaches & cream" redhead.
http://knittingtango.blogspot.com/2008/02/redhead-color-typology.html

Here is one that may fit you:

Muted: You might be a muted redhead if your skin tone is light with golden undertones. You might even have pale olive skin. Your hair can range from the coppery end of strawberry to the chestnut end of auburn. Your eyes might be grey-blue, any variant of green, brown, hazel, or amber. You instinctively reach for olive green rather than forest green, or chocolate brown rather than charcoal. If this is you, then you probably got some good advice from those well-meaning folks who recommended earth tones, neutrals, pumpkin, olive, russet and such. However, while those shades might be phenomenal on you in clothing, they might not serve you as well in makeup. Your coloring is gorgeously characterized by the relatively low level of contrast between your hair and skin tone - putting a dark, muted-to-the-point-of-drab tone on your face could end up making you look sallow and lack-luster. Rather than matte olive shadow, try a medium golden olive or khaki. Instead of pumpkin lipstick, blush or shadow, look for a warm bronzy shade with some life to it. Try some slightly subdued reddened coral on lips and cheeks. And remember to go for the gold - subtle, warm sparkle can really lift your look while still remaining appropriate for daytime.

VoodooDolly

New in Town
My best girlfriend has an olive-y tone to her skin, and always wears her hair red. The one thing I have noticed is that the raisin or plum tones look especially flattering.

I think most shades of red could be pretty, but I might suggest steering clear of orange tones. Very few people can pull those shades off if not born with them. (Of course, we do have several lovely ladies in the lounge who are the exceptions to that rule.)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Sophia Loren's gone into reddish-copper territory with hair sometimes with beautiful results. I have no idea what her natural hair color is, but it suits her olive complexion really well.

3483981060_8717ee3ae1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
3872441815_65f01c2d5c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
4509035275_2084232cef.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone! I've actually never done anything to my hair in regards to color streaks or full dying. The most daring thing I've ever done was chopping it into a bob. lol

My eyes are kind of hazely brown, sometimes more greenish, sometimes closer to brown or gold.

picture017152.png

I didn't know Sophia had red hair at one point, of course I don't know much about her at all,most of my favorite stars are a bit earlier. I think she pulls it off nicely though. :)

Anyway, I'm not totally sure if I'll do it, but I've wanted to for almost a year know, so I figured I'd better find out if it would even work on me. And yes, I'd like it too like slightly natural at least, which is why I mentioned auburn as well. I know I couldn't pull off the flaming red that Alison Sudol of A Fine Frenzy has. Though she definitely inspires me, even if hers isn't natural, she's kind of why I started liking red hair. Before I really only associated it with Anne of Green Gables. Then of course I got into vintage and discovered Rita Hayworth and Clara Bow and everyone else. :)

Alison's hair:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3595/30426647412e464c62e1o.jpg

lareine

A-List Customer
Good call on the wigs! You can get really good wigs from places like http://www.wigs.md/ -- I recommend a brand like Rene of Paris to start off with. You can buy a wig there for probably the same as a cut and colour (depending on where you live and what you like to pay) and if it doesn't suit you just sell it on eBay. I've done that lots of times. Cheap modern wigs can't be detected except by those who know what to look for, and good modern wigs can't be detected at all. You can try out whatever colour and style you like with no commitment whatsoever.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
I am in a similar boat! I have the olive skin and used to dye my hair a lot of different colors but I never tried a natural red because I was sure it would not flatter me. I've always wanted it a natural red though.
It seems that looking at Sophia Lauren's red-haired photos will give you the best idea. I think any red color she had (in her earlier years) would be very flattering on you!
Also, because the color choice seems so fickle; it seems like it'd be hard to find just the right shade on your own. There's too much of a chance with box colors that you won't get what you thought you would.
If you do go for it, I would suggest having it done by someone at a salon - someone who you know/or have been told is a color expert in your area (I don't usually suggest this - I have a history of rarely ever visiting them.) Or maybe you're lucky to know someone who could tell you which colors to mix to get what you want.

Antje

One Too Many
I also have a slight yellowish tone in my skin, I don't know if I would call it olive but ok. I always have a real bright red tone in my hair and it is perfect.

miss_elise

Practically Family
I have an olivey complexion and I had red hair - you may have to try a few different shades until you find the right red

I also found that just by having red hair- it made my skin not as olivey

P3180251.jpg

P3030753.jpg

P4298816.jpg

eta: here's a pic of my skin tone a bit better
14/09/2010 by weenie_elise, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner