Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red tails trailer

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Might be the first time the Me-262 is featured in a movie

I was thinking the same thing. If nothing else I'd see it big screen to see Me-262 screaming like sharks spitting 30mm shells...

Too many years as a boy building those model planes I guess....

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero for sure! Will told me about it a long while ago. It's amazing how long that film really took to be completed. I think the jackets were made at least two or two and a half years ago...

EDIT: Apparantly Goodwear also made jackets for the film!

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Huh, that's strange! Maybe Will made some samples for them which they ultimately didn't like. But I remember very well that we talked about his involvement regarding jackets for this film. So he must have stopped taking part in this project.
Anyway, the trailer looks quite promising. I just hope director, producers and actors have taken this project seriously. I don't want it to be epic Hollywood shit like Pearl Harbor was.
It's not a good sign if a film has been in the make for so long. ...And it only cost around 30 million dollars.

Let's hope the best.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure Mr. Lucas would be all ears if you could tell him where he can find enough flying 262s, 109s, P-51s, B17s, etc. to put in place of the CGI sequences. lol

I am sure he would! :) But if he - and the scriptwriter - had decided to make a movie with less planes all over the sky, it could have been just as dramatic with some real good actors. But unfortunately it looks like its one of those films where the action overshadows the actors. :) But let's just wait and see.
Just hope it's not as bad as Pearl Habor.

CBI

One Too Many
George Lucas premiered the Red Trails trailer at Oshkosh a few days ago and talked about the film. I was not there but what was passed along is that Lucas has wanted to make this film for 23 years and even with his success, no studio wanted to mess with it. He was able to cut a deal based on the Star Wars saga being re-worked into 3D. He wanted to make an inspirational film for young people and teach them something about WW2. He also wanted to make a a film with lots of dogfights in it!!!!! This is a labor of love project and if people on this forum are going to be so-so about it then studios are never going to make these things anymore. Its a different era- no Battle of Britain go out and rent an air force for a film time. If this movie is successful, it might help make Peter Jackson's Dambusters a reality as well as Jon Woo's Flying Tiger Heros. Lets get with the program and keep our Geekish observations in check. Thanks George for bankrolling this and making it happen.

No, I don't work for Lucasfilms.

Although Pear Harbor was less than ideal, at least there were some action packed moments and someone bothered to tell the story.

Decado

New in Town
I am sure he would! :) But if he - and the scriptwriter - had decided to make a movie with less planes all over the sky, it could have been just as dramatic with some real good actors. But unfortunately it looks like its one of those films where the action overshadows the actors. :) But let's just wait and see.
Just hope it's not as bad as Pearl Habor.

My first post and it's being picky. Sorry!

I'm not sure how you could represent the American bombing raids with just a few planes. There were hundreds of planes in a bomber group, hundreds of fighters, both American and German - all sharing a relatively small part of the sky. Just having a few of each in the sky would look silly and, for me, unauthentic. CGI is the only way to do it although it can sometimes look a bit "false".

PS What a fantastic forum this is! I have learned so much over the last year or so and am in awe of the knowledge displayed by the regulars.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, how sad is it that a guy with that talent, money and resources makes you worried?

It's all subjective, I suppose, but I actually don't rate Lucas as a director at all. That said, I'll give it a go... maybe he's ready to make a decent film again after ruining Star Wars (1977-97, RIP).

I take the WWII stuff seriously (for some odd reason) and after BofB and The Pacific, I like a more serious/reality based setup with the subject. That's what kinda killed Capt America for me (just a bit) as I'm not a comic guy, the war and soldiers returning from battle scenes were comical in some odd way. But enough being down. I hope it's a good watch. I'll go for the clothes alone - how manly is that?

lol I stuck with Pearl Harbour for the full duration for the clothes alone. I'm actually not that much into military history (relatively speaking for these parts; it' the social and political side of WW2 I find interesting, moreso than the actual military campaigns), but I do love me those AVG jackets.... ;) I find an awful lot of military-related films to favour jingoism over actual history, but given the very subject of this one I think it will be different. Certainly gonig to give it a go with an open mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred