Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red tails trailer

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I understand that it has to have some sort of “dramatic effect” to it, but I hope it comes from the real stories and not a modern way of putting someone’s political agenda into it. These men were true heroes and their stories need to be told, but not at the price where it exploits their accomplishments.

I understand that it has to have some sort of “dramatic effect” to it, but I hope it comes from the real stories and not a modern way of putting someone’s political agenda into it. These men were true heroes and their stories need to be told, but not at the price where it exploits their accomplishments.

Agreed 100% And with Hollywood, it's hard for them not to do. I don't even care that 99% of it is from one side, I don't want ANYONE'S politics in a d*mn movie!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My first post and it's being picky. Sorry!

I'm not sure how you could represent the American bombing raids with just a few planes. There were hundreds of planes in a bomber group, hundreds of fighters, both American and German - all sharing a relatively small part of the sky. Just having a few of each in the sky would look silly and, for me, unauthentic. CGI is the only way to do it although it can sometimes look a bit "false".

PS What a fantastic forum this is! I have learned so much over the last year or so and am in awe of the knowledge displayed by the regulars.

it's all about perspective. If you want to make a movie about planes of different types scattered all over the sky, there is no other way.
But these people - the pilots, their families were real people, who talked with each other, who had fun, who were scared.
And yes - they flew Mustangs now and again. (Mustangs are the most numerable WWII plane existing today) So all I am saying is that it should be possible to make a very dramatic movie on the people and their beliefs and fears - instaed of a movie about a lot of aeroplanes tumbling around.
It's just a matter of perspective...
That being said, I will see it! And I do hope they find place for humans in between all the "fightersim mode".

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Hopefully there won't be a video game tie in, o that will lessen the motivation to turn the film into an advertisement for one. It seems to me that a political element in the film is inevitable, given that the Red Tails' existence as a distinct unit is a direct result of the policy of segregation in the military at the time. I can imagine it will bear certain similarities to Glory in that respect.

Effingham

A-List Customer
My first post and it's being picky. Sorry!

I'm not sure how you could represent the American bombing raids with just a few planes. There were hundreds of planes in a bomber group, hundreds of fighters, both American and German - all sharing a relatively small part of the sky. Just having a few of each in the sky would look silly and, for me, unauthentic. CGI is the only way to do it although it can sometimes look a bit "false".

PS What a fantastic forum this is! I have learned so much over the last year or so and am in awe of the knowledge displayed by the regulars.

Exactly. Although I still lament the horrid "Flyboys" of a few years ago, CGI is the only way to really pull something like that off today. Such potential, and they dumbed it down SO much for audiences -- all the allies flew Sopwith Camels, and ALL the Germans flew all-red Fokker triplanes. It was pathetic.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
It seems to me that a political element in the film is inevitable, given that the Red Tails' existence as a distinct unit is a direct result of the policy of segregation in the military at the time. I can imagine it will bear certain similarities to Glory in that respect.

I agree, but by pointing out the facts about the era and the policies that were in place and not something akin to a Spike Lee movie.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I couldn't agree more!

Now with that said I will also say that though I seriously dislike Mr. Lee's style and story telling techniques... From what I'm told he does quite well with what he has as far as return for his budget. I just simply don't like the how one-sided his efforts are. I won't go into more because I don't need to.

Now as far as Red Tails.... I really hope this turns out good! Any movie that pay's tribute to our men and women in uniform is a win win situation. After all... they deserve it!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Jan 2012

I cannot wait!

Tuskee Air Men, if you haven't seen it, is a MUST. And now this!

Gotta see it on the BIG SCREEN!

Contact-Joy stick back
Sailing though the blue
Gallant sons of the 99th
Brown men tried and true
We are the Heroes of the night
To heck with the Axis might
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Fighting 99th

Sam

Edward

Bartender
Seems to me he has a fair point re the difference between this and Glory (I found the latter entertaining, if rather too sentimentalised for my tastes, but that's a common problem with Hollywood). Look forward to seeing this. As an aside, as I left my lecture on Tuesday, I notice there was a meeting in the opposite room with two of the original Tuskagee airmen, but it was already in progress and I had no idea whether it was open to the public or not.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Go see the movie...great aerial plane scenes...lots of A2s...just sit back and enjoy...not high art ..but decent entertainement....deserves support...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred