Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boot Instep Question

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
In need of some advice concerning the instep fit of Red Wing boots please chaps. I recently tried on a pair of their Chukka boots. I say tried on as part of my foot got in there but I could not get all the way in. If I had a shoe horn I think they would have gone on and once broken in would have been fine but I could use some words of wisdom from those that wear Red Wing. I am actually looking at a pair of Beckman in black cherry which look fantastic but I am in Iraq and have no opportunity to try them on. They are a fantastic price hence the need to make a purchase decision soon. I am aware they run a little big so I am looking at getting my normal dress shoe size as I tend to wear army socks all the time. So the question is has anyone else had issues getting their feet into new Red Wing boots due to the instep? If so did you find they stretched out as you broke them in?

stmike

One of the Regulars
I tried a couple of pairs on in my normal dress shoe size, Jim, and had no difficulty getting them on. Once on they fit normally, and were comfortable. This was at a local Red Wing store, and I don't currently own a pair so I'm unable to give you a longer term report. Hope this helps a bit.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a couple pair of Red Wings that have been difficult to get on when new. They're still difficult after some use but do get better than when new. The Beckman's are some of the most difficult due to the gusseted tongue and the lacing going up to the top. Iron Rangers are much easier to put on due to the more open tongue construction.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I wear a half size down in my Beckmans, and yes, at first it was a little difficult but as the loosened up it became easier and easier. If you are taking your normal size I can't see how you'd have a problem unless your foot is an unusual shape. Was the chukka on the same last? And finally, yes, the black Cherry is a great color.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
If you use some foot powder, it helps with your foot to slide into the boot. Many RedWings do have a gusset tongue which makes a smaller area to get the boot on, but in time that will stretch a bit and after they are broken in, you will not have as much of a problem. Most RedWings will be true to size, and for some it may be best to grab a size up if you want to wear some thick socks.

From what we know in my home, the RedWings that have a full leather inner lining are made in the USA, and the ones that do not have a full leather lining are not made in the USA. I would suggest obtaining the ones that do have the full leather lining, as they will most likely be far more comfortable on your feet.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi LuvMyMan,
I have a few pairs of MIUSA Red Wings that aren't leather lined. I think if you want to be sure that a pair is MIUSA you're best off to check the markings inside the boot.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi LuvMyMan,
I have a few pairs of MIUSA Red Wings that aren't leather lined. I think if you want to be sure that a pair is MIUSA you're best off to check the markings inside the boot.

Wow thanks, all the ones we have are fully leather lined, but as you have some that are not, guess that clears up some misconception on my part! LOL! The RedWings shoe store near us, has made mention the same to me, that the all leather lined ones are USA made. BUT you are very correct about it being marked clearly on this inside as to where they are made. Mason shoe company is the same....and they do make a decent boot like the RedWing if you get the one boot that has a creape type cushion sole, Moc toe. Not the same quality but fairly close to it. Most of the Mason line is not made in the USA, but if you are looking at the catalog if you see an American flag, it denoted being made in the USA. Same is true when looking at a RedWing catalog, they will have an American flag showing which model boots are made in the USA. Thanks kiddo for letting me know.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I do have a slightly high instep which has stopped me wearing some slip on shoes in the past but I have never needed anything specially made. I think I will need to buy a shoe horn and take a chance.

Jack Vincennes

New in Town
Yeah, I wear the lined 608 model and the ones I'm looking at (20 years old or so) indicate Red Wing, MN construction under the cushy removable footbed. I have a brand new pair in the box in my storage locker. I'm plenty outdoorsy chasing pheasants in S. Dakota in the winter, etc, and they show minimal wear, even though I spend half of my walking time in the winter in them. The Real Red Wings are crazy strong. I think I like them better than my custom Russels.

Barman

Familiar Face
I had the same problem with the Beckmans. Even though the sole was the right size, I just couldn't get my foot past the tongue, even with a shoe horn.
I had to return them.
On the other hand, I have no problem with Iron rangers and 213 Moc Toes. The most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I am starting to think I might wait a while until I visit the states in May. First time! I am doing a Route 66 tour on the western end taking wounded British soldiers as pillions. Wanted to do it for a few years so now was the time to do it. If I am lucky I will get the chance to pick up a pair of boots on the trip and maybe a great hat as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael