Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regius two tone Hercules!!

Fonzie

One Too Many
That is an incredibly cool jacket that looks perfectly executed, simply brilliant.
Regius has mastered his skills in a very short period of time, impressive.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very unique design that really shows how much the 70s and 40s are linked in terms of style

Marc Chevalier who is one of my fave posters from the old days of TFL would often emphasize this. There are the obvious examples we know about, like Ralph Lauren essentially basing his entire project on prewar American and British styles, but he'd also point out how many traditional items were still available in normal shops in the 70s. Everyone thinks of leisure suits and other things worn by a small, sleazy percentage of the population, but most people weren't dressing like a Miami drug dealer lol.

Did you see that 1940s Spiewak that Good Wear posted on Instagram? You can see so much of what came up in the 70s designs right there.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier who is one of my fave posters from the old days of TFL would often emphasize this. There are the obvious examples we know about, like Ralph Lauren essentially basing his entire project on prewar American and British styles, but he'd also point out how many traditional items were still available in normal shops in the 70s. Everyone thinks of leisure suits and other things worn by a small, sleazy percentage of the population, but most people weren't dressing like a Miami drug dealer lol.

Did you see that 1940s Spiewak that Good Wear posted on Instagram? You can see so much of what came up in the 70s designs right there.
Yeah that one looks like it almost could have come from the 70s if the leather were different. My 40s long half belt from sport clad also has a fairly 70s look to it as well.

Very, very nice! It is seemingly fun but unpretentious purely 70's piece that also looks luxurious and pricey. Could literally be your trademark movie outfit, @ton312! You could be the guy in that jacket, which is something I strive to.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I hope this posts. I have had absolute fits with this site for the past few weeks. This jacket is the end result of a year long project that ultimately landed with this truly remarkable garment. I am genuinely speechless. Which is quite a feat for a typically loud mouthed goof like myself.

The inspiration for this piece is the jacket below. I believe a 40’s era Hercules. I sent this to Reg to have a look at.
View attachment 608861
Time passed. The project was ultimately abandoned. Until it wasn’t. The result is this extraordinary jacket:
View attachment 608869 View attachment 608865
View attachment 608864
The end result is so incredibly unique. I’ve never had (or seen) anything quite like it. It weighs in a beefy 7lbs. The rough out feels like 4oz leather and the black grainy shinki is a close match in terms of weight. The interior body is a hefty tan wool, with rayon in the sleeves. Moleskin pocket bags and corduroy under the flap pockets. Every detail is just absolutely perfectly done:
View attachment 608908
View attachment 608909
Everything about this jacket feels like art. Reg really took creative liberties with the design and I think this is where he is at his absolute best and his talents really shine through.
View attachment 608915 View attachment 608918 View attachment 608919 View attachment 608920
My photos really don’t do it justice! It almost has to be seen in the flesh to really appreciate what it has going on. It’s freaky and wild and I couldn’t be more gobsmacked with how well it turned out.
THANK YOU @regius
Absolutely Brilliant Work!!!
Damn!! What a jacket, it's you all day long! Unmatched in the universe, a true beauty and the beast all in one:)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
To be honest, after looking at the side-by-side comparison pictures again, I have to say, I like the configurations on the original better. This is in no way intended to influence Regius's excellent job or @ton312 personal taste. The new-made jacket is also undoubtedly a beautiful piece. For my taste the arrangement of the piping on the original, which doesn't run so high towards the shoulder, is nicer. I also like the arrangement of the lower slanted pockets and the shape of the Pocket Flaps on the original better. The contrast stitching on the new-made jacket is too much for my taste. On the other hand, I really like the two-tone configuration and it gives the jacket more pizzazz vs. original pale look. As I said, undoubtedly a very nice jacket that will definitely stand out when worn, enjoy.

Note: I know my opinion wasn't asked, but allowed myself to share my thoughts.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Full disclosure: At first glance I thought, "that´s it, he´s finally lost his magic touch on all things leather." Too busy, too undecided, neither fish, nor flesh.

But boy, this jacket grows on me!

Perfectly executed for sure and a great fit. I started off ruling out a lot of designs for me personally, all of which I have since tried and many of which I now love.
This multi-tone, multi-leather, multi-decade piece is a challenge for me, but I like it more every time I look at it!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Wow, homerun. You really nailed it this time. It looks like it was made for you (lol, of course it does -- it was!) the contrasting panels do make quite a statement. I wonder how they will develop with age?

Wow, homerun. You really nailed it this time. It looks like it was made for you (lol, of course it does -- it was!) the contrasting panels do make quite a statement. I wonder how they will develop with age?
The black grainy Shinki is brown core, so it will fade to brown and introduce a third color:D

To be honest, after looking at the side-by-side comparison pictures again, I have to say, I like the configurations on the original better. This is in no way intended to influence Regius's excellent job or @ton312 personal taste. The new-made jacket is also undoubtedly a beautiful piece. For my taste the arrangement of the piping on the original, which doesn't run so high towards the shoulder, is nicer. I also like the arrangement of the lower slanted pockets and the shape of the Pocket Flaps on the original better. The contrast stitching on the new-made jacket is too much for my taste. On the other hand, I really like the two-tone configuration and it gives the jacket more pizzazz vs. original pale look. As I said, undoubtedly a very nice jacket that will definitely stand out when worn, enjoy.

Note: I know my opinion wasn't asked, but allowed myself to share my thoughts.
Indeed this was never meant to be a 1:1 copy. In truth I have given up on most vintage styles from the "golden age" because I find they are best suited to those who can wear them ironically, like a young man in an old mans jacket, and the original is the height of "old man style" which I do not want nor do I carry off very well at this point.

It's interesting to see the comments about the decade or era. To me this jacket is pure late 30's (though the rust suede does nod to the 70's). It reminds me very much of two tone wool ski jackets from the late 1930's-40's. Like these:
1714050436406.png
ski.JPG

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Indeed this was never meant to be a 1:1 copy. In truth I have given up on most vintage styles from the "golden age" because I find they are best suited to those who can wear them ironically, like a young man in an old mans jacket, and the original is the height of "old man style" which I do not want nor do I carry off very well at this point.

It's interesting to see the comments about the decade or era. To me this jacket is pure late 30's (though the rust suede does nod to the 70's). It reminds me very much of two tone wool ski jackets from the late 1930's-40's. Like these:
View attachment 609325 View attachment 609330

I understand your reasoning about "old man or dad's style" 100 percent. I'm also absolutely agree your jacket exudes pure 30's /40's vibes and has little to do with the 1970's jacket design. As I said, a cool combo that will attract a lot of attention when worn.

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'll really struggle to top this one ol' pal. The fit, the craftsmanship, the quality of the leather. I bet the leather and suede combo produces the coolest aroma. If Starsky and Hutch was filmed in 1939, you'd be Johnny on the spot to make it look badass. Huggy Bear would just give up tryin' to be super fly. Or maybe he'd just chase up Reg's number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran