Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relining A Cafe Racer Jacket

strokes1251

Practically Family
Hi guys Been a long time since I posted on here since I decided to get out of the Jacket collecting game (GF and school made me rethink my jacket spending!) but I was able to come across this jacket for the low price of... drum roll please..... 15 bucks :D!. Anyways the thing was it doesn't come with a liner and I was wondering where in LA a good place would be to get it relined. Thanks in advance! :D

21ou22p.jpg

e1ci8p.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
Johnson Leathers in San Francisco relined one for me two years ago and did a very good job on it. I think the price was just over $100.00. Seems like it was $110.00 but I'm not positive. I thought it was pretty reasonable though.

Johnson Leathers in San Francisco relined one for me two years ago and did a very good job on it. I think the price was just over $100.00. Seems like it was $110.00 but I'm not positive. I thought it was pretty reasonable though.
This seems about right. Mine was a couple of years ago as well. I think with shipping both ways included it was under $150.

strokes1251

Practically Family
So I got Quoted pretty much 50 bucks and an extra 20 if I need a limning at San Diego Leathers. But Im going to go with a local guy because I cant stand to ship it away and wait! lol Also I was going through the pockets and I found the old tag for it. As it turns out it was A Taubers Cafe Racer! I'm excited because I planned on owning a jacket from Taubers early in my jacket collecting career and now that I bought a random jacket and turns out it was a Taubers makes it even worth more to repair! The leather gods have smiled upon me. :D (ps I think I got bit by the leather bug again... ;))

2w6utnb.jpg

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
Alright sorry for the crappy pic Ill try and take better ones tomorrow as I was out all day and just got home. Anyways The jacket looks awesome! I honestly can say for 40 bucks you just cant go wrong.

o7n3a8.jpg

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
Okay guys here more pics. He added a pocket at my request. Also He can put any material you want if you supply it or if its in the shop at first I wanted it to be flannel lined but then opted out because in LA it never gets that cold.

w7o18m.jpg

282pa3p.jpg

291ncjn.jpg

2e0oabn.jpg

zlcgtk.jpg

1feo7q.jpg

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
I was interested in this thread since you started it. I'm not trying to hijack this. But, thought that you may want to see this.

Glad to see how this came out.
I bought the half belt jacket from you a number of months ago with the ripped up inner liner.
I carefully removed it, and started to reline it, then I realized that I needed to use the old liner for a pattern.
The pattern fit the jacket like a glove. And would be very difficult to reline without the pattern.

How did these guys do it, or is there some slack in the fitment of this liner?

I went with a thin flannel material. as my first attempt, I wasn't too particular about the seems lining up with the pattern. I think a real tailor would have the pattern lining up. It was a little too 3 dimensional for me at the moment.

This jacket fits me like a glove, I'm about 153 pounds currently, 5'10" and 38" chest. 31" waist.

I could have never visualized the shape of the inner panels without making a pattern.

I read some stuff on here about how to do this. Then I tried it, it took about 3 evenings after work to complete. I machine sewed the liner, but installed it all by hand stich and tried to use, find the original holes when possible.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
strokes1251 said:
...at first I wanted it to be flannel lined but then opted out because in LA it never gets that cold.
That's probably why the liner was removed in the first place. Looks like your guy did a great job - great price too!

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
I have re-read this thread and don't see the name of the "Local guy" who did the work.
Is that something that you can post for us?
I saw the mention of San Diego Leather and Johnson Leathers. But no the actual local guy.

Thanks.

I will be needing something relined in the future, I just know it.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Blazerbud
Sorry for the late response! I really liked how your jacket turned its alot darker than when I had it! Looks awesome and the flannel lining just makes it stand out even more. I cant imagine how hard it was to do it yourself. Oh and the Local guy is a shop a couple of Streets down from where I live and its Called El Charrito Tailorshop. They normally work on Mariachi suits and clothes but the guy in charge likes to work on Motorcycle jackets (he started working on my jacket while I was still there!). He has relined pretty much every jacket I have ever had that needed relining. The time from drop off to pickup is usually a couple days which to me is awesome as San Diego leathers told me it would take a week to two weeks to be done and delivered and in total from them it would've been around 100 to 120(note: because I had to have the lining remade).

Winterland1
Yea really awesome for 40 bucks! :D

HoosierDaddy
Thanks! :D

Doctor Damage
Yea I noticed on alot of the older jackets I see around here The liner is usually gone! and thanks he did :D

Last edited:

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
Strokes. I conditioned the jacket after restitching some of the leather seems, and then got worried because it looked brand new. Luckily the rough areas lightened back up because I like the aged look.
Yeah it was some work, my fingers hurt for a week. I will be paying someone else if ever I have the need again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo