Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing nametag

JB17COT

Familiar Face
How would you go about that? I've seen a few second hand jackets with nametags on - what would be the best way to get one removed? Would it leave a mark if the tag is not replaced by a new one (i.e. left without a tag)?

Many thanks

Edward

Bartender
I once bought a leather jacket with a Harley patch on it I wanted gone before I wore it. I think, from memory, I used a craft knife, though probably one of those little stitch ripper tools would have been safer. It left a small outline of tiny, pin-prick holes. These never "sealed up" the way they would in cotton, but nor were they ever a big deal to me. I suppose you could view it as another form of patina. [huh]

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have removed one carefully with a razor knife (to get the first stitches opened) and a fabric seam-ripper (to remove the rest without fretting that you might cut the leather with the knife point).

The stitch holes may appear lighter in color, as the pigment / dye usually does not permeate the full thickness of the leather. Some tinted leather polish muted the difference on my jacket.

When I removed the name tag from my jacket, there was a thin double-sided adhesive tape underneath. Apparently some use this to secure the tag in place for sewing, so be aware. In my case, that tape easily came off of the jacket and the old name tag.

Go to a fabric store and get a proper seam ripper. Cheap and does the job right.
seam_ripper_category_image__09916.jpg

armscye

One of the Regulars
Needle holes are less conspicuous after washing or wetting

I too removed a Harley logo from the kidney area of a moto jacket. Noticed when I washed it that the holes became less conspicuous because the leather swelled up a bit.

Go to a fabric store and get a proper seam ripper. Cheap and does the job right.
seam_ripper_category_image__09916.jpg

Stole my thunder.
Every time I reach for a pair of fine scissors to remove a tag from something, my wife tells me to use her seam ripper.

If a leather jacket, there will be holes left in the leather where the tag was located. They will always be there.
I generally find them to be quite noticeable.
If cloth...they tend to not be so obvious. Depending on how old the jacket is and how much it was worn outdoors, discoloration where the tag protected the underlying cloth from the sun may be more of an issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot