Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

repair a sheepskin fligh jacket

Chrissss

New in Town
Hi all,

I have this jacket but there are some repairs on the back of the sleeves and I wonder if it would be possible to sew a piece of leather on it or it's a bad idea ?

Actually, it looks very strong ans supple but I'm afraid for the futur ...

thanks for answer

Chris

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chris your M445 shearling naval flight jacket would not appreciate leather patches sewn on to the sewn repairs! The best way to mend these jackets is to carefully sew up the spilts/tears and apply Barge Cement to the repair which gives it flexibility and strength. The problem with the naval fleeces is that they are liable to rip when worn, but are great for display. Good luck.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
Chris your M445 shearling naval flight jacket would not appreciate leather patches sewn on to the sewn repairs! The best way to mend these jackets is to carefully sew up the spilts/tears and apply Barge Cement to the repair which gives it flexibility and strength. The problem with the naval fleeces is that they are liable to rip when worn, but are great for display. Good luck.
I'm actually doing a restoration on a M-445A at the moment, I put in a back patch and glue it, eventually leather filler paste that is flexible and can be sanded and eventually colour match it this is it at the moment as the rips were bad, I first had to feed it with sapo leather oil, it was like parchment, it's not too bad now

Attachments

• MVIMG_20221104_090452.jpg
    MVIMG_20221104_090452.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
I'm actually doing a restoration on a M-445A at the moment, I put in a back patch and glue it, eventually leather filler paste that is flexible and can be sanded and eventually colour match it this is it at the moment as the rips were bad, I first had to feed it with sapo leather oil, it was like parchment, it's not too bad now

Attachments

• MVIMG_20221104_090529~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20221104_090529~2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 51

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
The zipper is knacked but all original buttons, buckles and the zipper puller brass Talon is there so for that I just need to replace with a 18 inch 45cm chain, the m445a was short zippered due to two bottom buttons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn