Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing pocket zipper?

Iron Horse

Vendor
Hey all, I'm new here though I've lurked for the better part of a year or so and read plenty, so thanks for all the great info so far.

My question is about, obviously, replacing a pocket zipper, or the best way to do it. I just ordered a used Lost Worlds Ryder and have an order in for a Talon diamond pull-chain pocket zipper (thanks to Aero for that).

What do you recommend as the best way to replace the zipper? I've thought about just using some cutters to cut the zipper pull and if possible some pliers to open the last ring on the Talon and attaching it to the slider.

Is it too much hassle to touch the slider, or should I take the jacket and zip to my local leather guy and have him replace the whole shebang?

Thanks in advance!

mr_lits

A-List Customer
What you are talking about is not impossible, you should be able to pick up a zipper from Joann Fabrics or some such store and fit it to the slider fairly easily. Make sure the slider and zipper teeth are corresponding sizes. But then you have to sew the whole zipper back into place by hand (through the previous holes in the leather). It is just time intensive to do a good job but the results are that you did it for yourself. Worst case scenario you can't do it or don't like the results, take it to the leather guy.

Iron Horse

Vendor
I actually have half a mind to leave the original slider in place; has anyone ever cut off just the pull?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
well you have to have a small opening on the lining for access, can be from inner pocket bag, or from the side or underarm , and
from inside pry open the puller stopper/s from the zipper tape , then slide out the old puller,
bring it to sewing supply store selling those and ask for similar/ compatible item,
slide the new one in and put back the stopper with a pliers or alternatively you can sew a loop to the zipper tape so the puller won't slide past that point, hand sew the hole you make on the lining back.

Don't do that. Seriously. If the zipper on the LW isn't broken or anything, don't mess with it.

Many things could be wrong; for example, even if the sliders are the same size and brand, the teeth might not compatible with the one that you bought. And once you disassemble the thing and figure that out, it's gonna be too late. Least hustle would be to just replace the zipper pull but to do that you have to cut thru the last ring of the chain pull to get it open which then can't be welded closed again. No doubt it would eventually start falling off.
Replacing the whole zipper is your only option but it's the worst case scenario as the jacket will end up with stitch holes, not to mention they have to open the lining to get to it, maybe even remove the pocket bag so tons of things can go wrong.

Iron Horse

Vendor
Hmm, how about cutting off the original slider, and the last ring of the talon chain and replacing that with a gold/brass jump ring which I can then superglue shut?

It seems that a simple zipper change can make the Ryder go to the next level to this (courtesy of VEB):

IMG_5571%2B(2).JPG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails