Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro Labels

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That didn't answer my question. He did not buy the trademark rights. I thought J.A. Dubow was owned by Lost Worlds. I am sure Willis & Geiger is owned by some one!

It was not intended to answer your question! I merely pointed out that GW use all these labels from companies that are no longer in existence.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If someone else legitimately holds the mark and has not given permission, it would potentially be sn infringement. TMs are, however, a matter of civil law and as such it is up to the mark holder to intiate enforcement. If they let it go long enough, they will lose the right to exclusive use of the mark.

Thanks Edward, that is kind of what I thought. You gave the most concise answer. I kind of wish others would not respond when they don't have the answer! I do wonder about those making replica Indian Ranger jackets? Yes, there is a direct line of owners from Springfield Indian to Polaris. Polaris I suspect, has a lot of lawyers like Harley. Remember, Harley even tried to trademark the Potato Potato sound of the 45 degree V-Twin Engine.

Edward

Bartender
That would depend on use... Lewis and Aero had a barney over the ownership of "Highwayman" years ago. Lewis claimed to have inherited it from a company they had bought years ago. However, the mark hadn't been used for so long, Aero were able to claim legal ownership.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
How much less expensive would reproduction jackets be if they didn't have reproduction labels/tags? I have to wonder if a bunch of buyers out there value the repro tags as much (or more) than the repro jackets themselves. I know what I value more: the carefully tanned, cut, fitted, and sew leather jacket which only a few people and companies can do properly, rather than a small piece of printed or woven cloth that any local sports team embroidery shop could easily reproduce if they wanted to!

Well, I know for a fact that a Buco tag doesn't affect the price of Aero's J106. And I reflect your opinions on these repro tags. It's not that the tag suddenly makes the jacket in any way more affiliated with the company that the label belongs to so I don't really see the point of slapping, say, Buco tag on a jacket made by another manufacturer.

Edward

Bartender
I imagine it's a lot more important in some markets than others... in particular, the military repro side of things. The Japanese market would, I think, care more regarding civilian wear.

aswatland

I imagine it's a lot more important in some markets than others... in particular, the military repro side of things. The Japanese market would, I think, care more regarding civilian wear.

Absolutely. The label is regarded as a key part of the jacket, especially if its a copy of a Wartime original. Original A2s without labels tend to fetch around 30% less than those with their original labels as collectors value the label. Reproducing Wartime A2 labels is quite a complex operation if they are to be identical in every way to original labels.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely. The label is regarded as a key part of the jacket, especially if its a copy of a Wartime original. Original A2s without labels tend to fetch around 30% less than those with their original labels as collectors value the label. Reproducing Wartime A2 labels is quite a complex operation if they are to be identical in every way to original labels.

If you roughed the label up a bit, and I mean with a fair bit of skill and not just dabbing a tea bag over it, could a repro label be passed off as an original? Maybe sew it to an original jacket using correct thread etc, not that i plan on doing it, it is just that a lot of repro makers claim their products are made to the excact spec of originals.

aswatland

If you roughed the label up a bit, and I mean with a fair bit of skill and not just dabbing a tea bag over it, could a repro label be passed off as an original? Maybe sew it to an original jacket using correct thread etc, not that i plan on doing it, it is just that a lot of repro makers claim their products are made to the excact spec of originals.

Yes. It has been done. Sometimes you can spot them, but not always. The "roughing up" can indicate that the label is a repro fixed to an original jacket, especially if the label appears more worn than the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav