Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repurposing TV/radio cabinets - dangers?

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
First, caveats: Mods, I hope this is the most appropriate section to place this post. If not, please do let me know.

And I sincerely hope I don't cause too much cringing over my scavenging parts off vintage tvs/radios. I'm all for restoring, usually, generally, and don't do this lightly...

I also completely own up to my ignorance and "fools rush in" tendencies here...

Anyway, I have a large Grunow all wave radio that I picked up by the side of the road. I've already gutted the works from it, intending to reuse the cabinet to house my modern CD system. I saved all the tubes and such and put it aside, and turned to the next project...

...An Admiral Television. (very similar to this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370503668378&clk_rvr_id=233663718388). Again, I had wanted to gut it and put a small, modern monitor inside. Fortunately, the tag warning of the danger of vacuum tubes was still afixed to the back!

I started looking on-line and words like "implosion" and "radiation" stopped me in my tracks.

So now I'm wondering this:

1) Did I put myself in harm's way already by anything from the radio and parts I already handled? What should I do with those tubes and other works?

2) Now that "TV repairman" are scarce, who would you suggest might be knowledgeable enough these days to safely remove the innards of the TV set? And exactly what dangers lurk to anything still in there?

Thanks for your help.

I've been fiddling with TV's and Radios for ages, no implosions and I'm assuming no radiation issues. (doing a quick check for extra fingers and toes)

While I'm anti-repurposing, at least you're saving the guts. Removing them isn't overly complex, just unscrew, remove all the wires, fixtures, etc from the cabinet and take them out. The more you can keep in one piece. If you don't need them, you should be able to sell them on eBay as plenty of people restore those old dinosaurs.

If you have any other questions, please post, and pics are always helpful! Hope this little bit of info helps!

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I have restored many an old Radio and "Re-purposing" was never a thought, but in hind-site, I think anything that makes an object usable to you and makes you happy, should be all right. As long as you save all it's parts and do not do anything in the way of "damage" to it for future owners, who should care really? Just my 2¢

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The implosion danger is from the picture tube in the television set -- it's a large glass bottle under high vacuum, and if you crack it, it could collapse with a sudden rush of air causing glass shards to fly in all directions. Not a pleasant experience for anyone involved.

The picture tube may also carry a residual high voltage charge -- and if you touch the wrong point on the tube you could get a rather violent shock which, while it won't kill you, would likely cause you to drop the tube, resulting in the aforementioned implosion. Not fun.

The radiation issue is relevant only when the set is operating. You'll notice that certain areas of the chassis are covered by a strong metal shield or cage-type container. When the set is operating, that section of the set operates at a very high voltage -- 10 thousand to 20 thousand volts in most cases -- and emits x-rays. The radiation is blocked by the shield in normal operation, but the warning is there to prevent curious amateurs from taking the shield off, the better to observe the pretty purple glow inside.

Radios don't operate at anywhere near such voltages -- the highest voltage you'll encounter in a tube radio is 400 volts or so, and they don't create dangerous radiation. They only radiate at radio frequencies, which won't hurt you, and there's no residual radaition when the set isn't operating. There might be voltage charges lingering at certain points on the chassis, though, so don't touch any exposed wiring points unless you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies!

Glad you still have all the fingers and toes, AtomicEraTom. ;)

And yeah, I'd never just trash the innards. I'm not that much of a heathen! They're just too cool looking, on a shallow note, never mind the history and craft involved... I'll either store them for some enterprising person to put them back with the original cabinets after I kick it, or offer them up on Craigslist for someone to be able to use for repair and restoration.

Thanks so much, LizzieMaine, for that detailed reply on the safety issues! (Your breadth of knowledge is always a treat and impressive). That's exactly what I wanted to know. And while other folks may be bold enough to go ahead, I think we've just crossed the line of my comfort level!

If i can't find a true blue "tv repairman" in this day and age, any suggestions of another kind of workman who might still be knowledgeable enough for me to approach with the taking apart the TV? A general Electrical contractor, perhaps? (I don't wanna just hand it off to someone just as much in the same boat as me, and let them do it, just cause they're a guy, ya know. ;) I have my pride. lol)

PS That there could be "residual voltage" after all this time astounds me. I should've paid better attention in science class. *mindboggled*

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are individuals here and there who make a hobby of repairing old TVs. I have a new friend here in New York who seems to be very experienced at it. There's somewhat more to it than refurbing radios. Personally, I'm prediposed to being aghast at the idea of "repurposing" old cabinets, but I do recognize that many sets are beyong repair. If you save parts, you really ought to save the whole chassis, because that may be just as desirable to another hobbyist at just the tubes.
DecoDame: Are you connected to the excellent DecoDame antique store? Fantastic stuff there.
BTW, where are you located?

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
PS That there could be "residual voltage" after all this time astounds me. I should've paid better attention in science class. *mindboggled*

[video=youtube;z8rYotiiFP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rYotiiFP8[/video]

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
I was surprised to find a few TV repairman in the yellow pages, still. I haven't called yet to see if anyone is familiar with vintage varieties, but I'm hopeful. Otherwise, I'll ask around for hobby tinkerers (who will be more in the know anyway - just harder to find).

And oh, yeah, dhermann1, anything I'm taking out, I'm keeping - not just the tubes. And I'm not related to the antique store. I spend money in such stores, not make it. ;) And I'm in Ohio, north of Cincy.

Marvin! lol This is my level of scientific understanding. *KABOOMS* in cartoons!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just one more caveat -- when you or whoever you assign the job removes the original chassis, be careful not to *cut* any wires. Any wire that needs to be disconnected to remove the innards has a screw connector, a push connector, or a plug of some kind -- cutting wires just makes it harder for the person who'll eventually restore the set. Keep all the screws and knobs and miscellaneous hardware in a bag taped to the chassis, and that restorer will someday be thankful.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Anyway, I have a large Grunow all wave radio that I picked up by the side of the road. I've already gutted the works from it, intending to reuse the cabinet to house my modern CD system. I saved all the tubes and such and put it aside, and turned to the next project...

Excuse me on this note, I have to suggest something that not everyone thinks of today.

It's interesting, I've met many people in this hobby or into vintage lifestyles or living history... And when an antique radio comes along they want to use, the first thing they think of is to remove the heart and soul of the set... Feeling that antique electronics are inferior and no one will care or ever have use for vacuum tubes or whatnot. This is quite the opposite, there is nothing wrong with antique electronics, they function just as well as new, if not better. Tubes offer a warmer tone, and I have found out that an Ipod can be wired to an antique radio with very little effort (so long you understand what you're doing) and when the Ipod is connected, it creates a bypass from radio to a "phono" conversion and thus allows one to operate an outside means of media.

Restoring an antique radio to operate with it's own goods isn't just one's preference in a matter, it really is preserving the piece, as well as boosting it's value. I am so amused and disturbed to know people choose solid-state over good ol' American made electronics that comes with this stuff... and after a little research will find out that it's fixable, and can be used for many, many years with little or no fuss. This site is a great place to pick others minds about preservation and adapting antique technology into the 21st century.

Also, if one prefers modern electronics, with a gentle nod to the era's style, Crosley makes many different radios and phonograph/CD players for the casual retro enthusiast. I only say these things because Grunow All Waves are very beautiful, and powerful radios when restored, I own a '37 Grunow All Wave and it pulled in stations from Japan, Germany, England's BBC, Australia and many more on Short Wave... I had my friend (a radio repair man) attach a line out for a CD player... and when I play CD's of vintage radio shows or music it sounds clear, warm and powerful. They are very collectible radios and sought after... Grunow holds value and are worth restoring correctly.

Sorry for the long post but, I felt compelled to share some insight and knowledge that may help in enjoying your projects that much more. I've collected radios since 1994, not as long as some, but longer than most younger members here and have learned how one can use with much success antiquated items today, which is half the fun. :)

Last edited:

Adcurium

A-List Customer
The implosion danger is from the picture tube in the television set -- it's a large glass bottle under high vacuum, and if you crack it, it could collapse with a sudden rush of air causing glass shards to fly in all directions. Not a pleasant experience for anyone involved.

The picture tube may also carry a residual high voltage charge -- and if you touch the wrong point on the tube you could get a rather violent shock which, while it won't kill you, would likely cause you to drop the tube, resulting in the aforementioned implosion. Not fun.

The radiation issue is relevant only when the set is operating. You'll notice that certain areas of the chassis are covered by a strong metal shield or cage-type container. When the set is operating, that section of the set operates at a very high voltage -- 10 thousand to 20 thousand volts in most cases -- and emits x-rays. The radiation is blocked by the shield in normal operation, but the warning is there to prevent curious amateurs from taking the shield off, the better to observe the pretty purple glow inside.

Radios don't operate at anywhere near such voltages -- the highest voltage you'll encounter in a tube radio is 400 volts or so, and they don't create dangerous radiation. They only radiate at radio frequencies, which won't hurt you, and there's no residual radaition when the set isn't operating. There might be voltage charges lingering at certain points on the chassis, though, so don't touch any exposed wiring points unless you know what you're doing.

Wow! I am impressed by your knowledge of such things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot