Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reshaping an Akubra Federation IV

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Regarding hatshapers, is this what you are referring to :

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm

Or

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Classic_Dome.htm

The next question is then getting one which is a size smaller than my head for reshaping the crown and then perhaps same size as my head with brim?

Actually, as I am a 56.5 which is between a US 7 - 7 1/8 that makes me either a small or a medium so should I go for a medium, i.e. go up on the shaper rather than down?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The straight sided dome is the one to use if you don't want any taper.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Regarding hatshapers, is this what you are referring to :

Or

http://www.hatshapers.com/Product Pages/Classic_Dome.htm

The next question is then getting one which is a size smaller than my head for reshaping the crown and then perhaps same size as my head with brim?

Actually, as I am a 56.5 which is between a US 7 - 7 1/8 that makes me either a small or a medium so should I go for a medium, i.e. go up on the shaper rather than down?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the straight sided dome. Go smaller rather than bigger, unless you plan to remove the leather sweat band and lining.

Carol at Hat Shapers is very knowledgeable and helpful. I asked her a lot of questions before making my first order. carol@hatshapers.com

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Sorry for the delay, but I did not have the dome available last night.

I wear a 58 in CampDrafts and I called her for one which I could reshape crowns without removing the sweatbands. We had a very helpful discussion and she sent me a form which is marked "Special Straight Sided Dome Small Plus 1/4"". It was a little bit more, but well worth the extra money and time to get correct. Works beautifully for me.

Hope this helps.

Fed

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Sounds like I will need to give them a call as well. Meantime, I am working the brim on the Fed IV, a little tricky as it is longer front and back, but good learning process - thanks all for tge really helpful advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for the delay, but I did not have the dome available last night.

I wear a 58 in CampDrafts and I called her for one which I could reshape crowns without removing the sweatbands. We had a very helpful discussion and she sent me a form which is marked "Special Straight Sided Dome Small Plus 1/4"". It was a little bit more, but well worth the extra money and time to get correct. Works beautifully for me.

Hope this helps.

Fed
Where do I find this "special straight sided small plus 1/4" ?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Its the straight sided dome in the pictures.I have one that works well for a quick reshape.
what is the "... plus 1/4" about that fed mentioned ?
he also said it cost more
I figured it was something not on the site

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The straight sided dome that I ordered is at:

This is heavier and deeper, so it is a bit pricier. I also think that mine was not one of their regular sizes and custom work costs.

I just called and had a conversation with her to describe exactly how I planned to use this dome. I did get the impression that a phone conversation was best. For me, I wanted it very slightly undersized so I would not need to remove my sweat bands to get the crowns back to open. (If I want it fuller, I have leather or other material to put over it and make up the difference.)

The wording that I quoted was taken from the inside of the device and means little to me, but might be helpful to them in forming another one. I seem to recall that the small plus 1/4" refers to their standard size small expanded by a quarter inch. I think this might be how the got it to a size 58. This would be of interest to both of you from what I have seen.

At one point, I understood that they planned to experiment with long oval, but I have heard nothing on that subject since.

Good luck in getting what you need.

Fed

(Sorry - had ridden off to a crawfish boil and did not see your posts until just now.)

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The straight sided dome that I ordered is at:

This is heavier and deeper, so it is a bit pricier. I also think that mine was not one of their regular sizes and custom work costs.

I just called and had a conversation with her to describe exactly how I planned to use this dome. I did get the impression that a phone conversation was best. For me, I wanted it very slightly undersized so I would not need to remove my sweat bands to get the crowns back to open. (If I want it fuller, I have leather or other material to put over it and make up the difference.)

The wording that I quoted was taken from the inside of the device and means little to me, but might be helpful to them in forming another one. I seem to recall that the small plus 1/4" refers to their standard size small expanded by a quarter inch. I think this might be how the got it to a size 58. This would be of interest to both of you from what I have seen.

At one point, I understood that they planned to experiment with long oval, but I have heard nothing on that subject since.

Good luck in getting what you need.

Fed

(Sorry - had ridden off to a crawfish boil and did not see your posts until just now.)
Helpful info. Thx Fed. I need exactly what you ordered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy