Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reshaping question

Classified00

Familiar Face
Howdy all,

To make a long story short, I some how managed to get a small stain on my Fed IV. I took it to a local hat shop for them to get it out. I had to drop the hat off since they were busy. They took care of the stain and they reshaped the hat a little and stiffened it in place :eek:
I have been trying to decide whether I like it or not over the past couple of days and I don't. Is there any way to get it back to being soft and pliable, the way it was when I first got it? If not, can I use steam or distilled water to soften it enough to reshape?

Thanks,
:mad:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Use water. Steam can make the hat shrink, but water will make it softer. Wear it in the rain a few times, or spray it. My Camptown Metro was stiff as a board when I first got it. Spraying with water to reshape it has made it quite soft. Don't overdo it though. That can make the hat lose its shape.

Be sure to let it dry at room temperature.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Classified00 said:
Howdy all,

To make a long story short, I some how managed to get a small stain on my Fed IV. I took it to a local hat shop for them to get it out. I had to drop the hat off since they were busy. They took care of the stain and they reshaped the hat a little and stiffened it in place :eek:
I have been trying to decide whether I like it or not over the past couple of days and I don't. Is there any way to get it back to being soft and pliable, the way it was when I first got it? If not, can I use steam or distilled water to soften it enough to reshape?
Thanks,
:mad:

I can't say as to the standard (Imperial felt), but know from personal experience that you can steam the deluxe (heritage felt) to the point of abuse with minimal shrinkage.

Now some people's definition of "routine" steaming might be different from mine. I'm talking 10-20 seconds exposure at a time on a given area, at a distance where the heat is mildly uncomfortable to your hand but not painful. I absolutely positively double-dog guarantee you that it won't hurt either Akubra felt. The reason this works is..."it ain't the heat, it's the humidity". Steam droplets are really tiny. They penetrate like crazy.

Steaming it will help you to reshape it. It won't soften it. Well, actually it does but only temporarily. After you've gotten it back into the shape you like, leave it alone for some hours, then try beating your hat up. By that, I mean popping out the creases you've so carefully made, kneading the felt gently over and over, moving ripples and waves of felt around in all directions. Then pop the creases back in. (I was amazed when I first did this, thought I'd have to re-steam and shape again, but not so.)

If the brim is stiff, grab it by the edge and wave it around like you were fanning a campfire. Move all around the edge progressively and keep it up.

If this sounds scary, just take it easy, a bit at a time. See what happens.

Now all this will probably help, but it might not be enough. For example, I think my Banjo Patersons and Feds use the same thickness and quality of felt, but they put more stiffener into the B.P. So it'll never get as soft. It helps with both, but can't get to the same point. So it depends on just how much stiffener they put in.

So a question remains for all the more knowledegable folks in e-shot: is there any way to actually remove some amount of stiffener from a hat? And what chemicals are actually used for that? I would love to know.

- Bill

Classified00

Familiar Face
Thanks all,

I went with distilled water and a spray bottle (adding to my growing stash of hat paraphernalia). I'm not quite comfortable with steam just yet.

It came out pretty well. It's in the oven drying now.

I do have one more newbie question though, is it OK for the liner on the front dents to touch the top of my forehead? That's the most comfortable fit for me. Should I worry about sweat getting into the liner or through to the felt?

My hat is not actually in the oven but I hope I got a few of you :p

Woodfluter

Practically Family
EEEEEEEE!!!

It's WHERE drying right now?!?!

Please, please take it out. Immediately!

OK, if you are talking about heating up an oven to something like 90F and then turning off the heat, leaving the door open, putting the hat in...that's different. But I've this creepy feeling we aren't talking about that.

Take it out! Puheeeeze!

You really can shrink the felt that way and trash the leather sweatband. Need to dry slowly at room temperature!

Addendum:
Not too proud to admit you got me, totally, and before I read the fine print. Good work! I'm not usually that gullible! Suckered me totally!

- Bill

Bassman

A-List Customer
Woodfluter said:
Not too proud to admit you got me, totally, and before I read the fine print. Good work! I'm not usually that gullible! Suckered me totally!

- Bill

He got me with that one too.:eusa_clap

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Not sure I entirely understand the question, but I think it's "will sweat soak through the liner and stain the felt if the liner at the front dents touches my head?"

I don't know. Mine sometimes do touch but don't stain, so far. My initial reaction is, if it's comfortable it's right.

- Bill

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Classified00 said:
Thanks all,

I went with distilled water and a spray bottle (adding to my growing stash of hat paraphernalia). I'm not quite comfortable with steam just yet.

It came out pretty well. It's in the oven drying now.

I do have one more newbie question though, is it OK for the liner on the front dents to touch the top of my forehead? That's the most comfortable fit for me. Should I worry about sweat getting into the liner or through to the felt?

My hat is not actually in the oven but I hope I got a few of you :p

Funny! Glad it came out OK.

If you sweat a lot, the liner will eventually get some staining, but I think hair oil does the worst staining. If you don't pomade you'll probably be OK.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I sweat plenty, and my hair can get a bit oily. But I don't use anything in my hair, like spray or gel. I have, so far, never had a hat's felt get stained through the liner. I have stained a liner or two, but that's sort of what it's there for.

If the liner ever gets too ugly for you comfort, it can easily be replaced.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Cleaning involves chemicals - and the dreaded chemical reactions that could occur with what is already in the hat (stiffener) or added stiffener. Got to leave it and hope that over time all that will neutralize. Best to stay away from cleaning, and use a soft wet sponge in all but the worst cases. Steaming may help get some of the chemicals out is my opinion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass