Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resistol Hats???

Molorom

Familiar Face
Of all the hat companys i know of,
i know the least about Resistol Hats.
So ive got some questions.
1. When where they made?
2. Were they bought out by hatco?
3. Are they still sold?
4. When were the "Self Conforming" hats made?
5. Hows the felt?
Thanks,
Adam

Oh boy, I am probably not the guy to answer this but I will give it a whirl. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Resistol is an Older brand created by Hary Rolnick and Byer. The name Resistol is an allusion to them being able to resist weather, oil and soil stains. I do not know what they did to the felt to make that claim but greater things have been claimed. ;) They were producing from the 1940s to the present. They are curently part of Hat Brands now and stopped producing "dress hats" in 1968. They currently produce only "cowboy hats."
The self conforming hats are still made today in the cowboy hats made by Resistol from the examples I have seen.
The felt in the vintage hats is on the same par as other American makers at the time. It just depends on the finish and quality of the example you are dealing with. They were not cheaply priced at their time of production. A Champ hat was selling for $8 while the Resistol was selling for $11. Champ was the "price leader" then that all others could be measured against. In other words--cheap. ;)
I have a nice NOS Resistol in "Skyfleet" color. It is a very nice hat and all the Resistols I have come in contact with were nice as well. Their present day offerings are stiff enough to drive nails with. The vintage dress hats are very soft and pliable.
I hope that answered some of your questions.

Regards to all,

J

Molorom

Familiar Face
would a Resistol stage coach self conforming, Cowboy be
any good? or would that be just as bad? Im deciding between
this hat and a Herbert Johnson, 6" crown 2"inch brim, which is one
size to small which i would block up. Which is a better choice you think?
Adam

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As for the self conforming, that is just as conforming as the next hat... nothing special from what I have seen, just a leather band in felt.

The HJ sounds like a rare find if it is vintage. Resistol Cowboy hats are easier to find.

I'd have too see the hats too. It's all up to what you want.

Molorom

Familiar Face
Im going to/have sent bolt of you private messages for your own
stance on the subject.
Adam

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Self Conforming

Both MK and I bought New Old Stock (NOS) hats from Art, Resistol. My hat was a beautiful blueish gray. MK's was a nice light gray.

The hats came with the orig. "owners instructions" touting the value of the "self conforming" sweatband.

The hats are nice, very nice felt. I have worn the hat and the sweat seems to be of great quality and easily conforms to the shape of your head. I somewhat believe it was a marketing gimic or claim, but the quality of the sweat lent some credence to the "advertised" name.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
"In the early 1920's a young millionaire, E.R. Byer sold his business in Michigan and traveled South to further his fortune and investment. His investment was a brilliant young hat maker, Harry Rolnick, who was operating a small hat factory. E.R. Byer was one of Rolnick's customers and was so impressed by his professionalism, flair for fashion and devotion to quality that in 1927 the firm of Byer-Rolnick was founded in Dallas, Texas. The company produced men's felt hats in Western and Dress stylings, both were marketed under the newly created brand name "Resistol Hats," meaning to resist- all weather.

Distribution was limited to Texas and Oklahoma early on, but innovations like the Self-Conforming band and Kitten Finish (an innovation in the finishing process of felt) gained national exposure and in 1938 prompted expansion to a larger facility in Garland, Texas, where Resistol hats are manufactured today.

Byer-Rolnick's success continued and the Resistol brand became the greatest name in western hats. In an effort to better control the quality and flow of product, Byer-Rolnick acquired a fur cutting plant and built a rough-body plant in Longview, Texas. These acquisitions made Byer-Rolnick the first and only manufacturer to operate the entire felt hat making process, which includes over 200 processes. By operating all phases of production, Byer- Rolnick was able to obtain maximum quality control and thereby produce the most consistent and finest hat known the world over.

Demand for Resistol hats continued and today "the small hat factory" is the largest manufacturer of headwear in the world, as a part of Hatco, Inc. All phases of production are still operated and controlled to ensure product of the highest quality."

Taken from the Resistol Hat Company Webpage: http://www.resistolhat.com/history.php

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Resistol was Stetson's biggest competitor at one time. Now they're both made in the same factory. I know that Stagecoaches are desirable for hat conversions with their tall crowns and dense felt. I have four Stagecoaches and they're nice quality hats. Two of my Stagecoaches were converted to fedoras and the other two I reblocked, changed out the ribbon and bow, and kept those Western....(Personally, and that's just me, I'm not a fan of British made hats).

Stagecoach, Silverbelly. 3 1/2 brim
Stagecoach_R_11.jpg

Suited_SC_01_A.jpg

Stagecoach, Chestnut. 4' brim
IW_02.jpg

r_indy_02.jpg

Stagecoach 4X, Indyesque conversion
Indy_Hat_06.jpg

The_Indy_R.jpg

Stagecoach conversion, Black
Black_Hat_02.jpg

Stagecoach_black.jpg

Dallashat

New in Town
As for the self conforming, that is just as conforming as the next hat... nothing special from what I have seen, just a leather band in felt

The selfconforming band is attached to the underside of the brim just a bit and not at the point where the brim and crown meet as with most hats.
Making the sweatband bend around the corner, so when your head is within the crown of the hat the sweat "conforms" to your head and the stitching is not against your forehead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats