Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurants, Hotels, etc - Golden Age Event Locations?

HistWardrobe

Vendor
I thought it might be fun / useful to start a thread where people could post suggestions for locations with good period architecture / interiors that would be good places to hold a period gathering of some kind or would be be good places just to hang out if one were travelling in the area.

One that immediately comes to mind is the Eveready Diner in Hyde Park NY. While it's repro, it's got a great art deco diner ambiance. I stayed in a nearby hotel on a business trip last year and we ate there regularly (great chow) and kept fantasizing about having a retro party there.

New York is full of good places. One of my faves (a bit pre-Golden Age) is the Algonquin Hotel, but I haven't been there in years. Always fancied having an Algonquin Round Table lunch reenactment but never found enough like-minded crazies to come and play Alexander Woolcott to my Dorothy Parker.

What's your favorite 1920s-50s period style hangout in your area?

(whoops, I keep typing "golden age" instead of "golden era". Either I've got classical Greece on the brain, or it's my own senescence -- not quite "golden age" myself but I'm getting there. (gulp).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The James Oviatt penthouse of the Oviatt Building in downtown L.A.

Built in 1928, it was the first completely Art Deco residence in Los Angeles ... and one of the first penthouses. (L.A. was somewhat provincial back then.)

Open for weddings and big parties. (Costs a lot to rent.) Includes a rooftop courtyard where James Oviatt used to have his little "beach" (with sand imported from the French Riviera).

dt_oviatt.jpg
------
clock.jpg
------
11_square.jpg

9_square.jpg
------
12_square.jpg
------
livingroom_painting.jpg

history.jpg

Forum statistics