Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoration of a lost Stetson film

Walt

One of the Regulars
TCM is running a series of "lost" films which were found in New Zealand. They date from 1914 to 1928.

From the TCM website:

Birth of a Hat: The Art and Mystery of making Fur Felt Hats was produced around 1920, and believe or not, this fourteen-minute documentary turns the manufacturing of Stetson headwear into a fascinating spectacle. It's basically a commercial, but its glimpses of American industry and workers are crisply filmed and adroitly presented.

Screens tonight (Saturday) at midnight.

Thanks for the reminder. Last week I posted this. Interestingly if one tries to go from the schedule link from their web page it doesn't go to this info but the link to the subject from the highlights page does. Whomever maintains their web-code messed up.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent video. It's amazing to see familiar machines in a documentary that was made so long ago that are still in use and how little the process has changed.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes most of the machines are still in use to make the hat bodies. Once you watch the film you gain a whole new respect for the work it takes to make a hat. An the amount of people that it took to make a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran