Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-fitted, modded modern cap to vintage style

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay. Fedoras rule, but caps are tops, too. With a photograph of an actual 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron cap worn by the pilots of F-86 Sabre jets in the Korean War, I made some modifications to a contemporary unstructured yellow cotton twill cap I picked up for a few bucks. The black "39" is true to the images I have of actual caps. My goal was a "vintage" looking cap and I think it worked. I removed the sweatband, took about 1/2" up from the edge and re-attatched it, after removing the visor and shortening it, too, then re-attaching it, as well. I chose twill because it now is in direct contact with my bald head and I figured it would be cooler. I chose unstructured because it has a better "vintage " look with out that 'trucker cap' buckram in front look. it was easier to work with, as well. In addition to new glasses since my last photo in this place, I decided "Just-For-Men" beard and moustache dye was more work than it's worth, so now I go natural grey! When I get a chance I'll post my other crew cap work!;)

edit24.jpg

edit25.jpg

edit26.jpg

edit27.jpg

dean

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
That's some nice work there! Very vintage looking.

I love altering things I find. I had an old collapsible silk top hat from 1910 that was pretty beat up and rough when I got it. After being handled by a million disrespectful non-hat-wearing students at my high school, the poor hat was hanging on by a thread. So I gave it a complete restoration using the original fabrics on the hat, reworked the brim ribbon, resewed the sweatband in, and added a dark purple velvet ribbon to the crown. I ended up selling it for over $100, which would have never been possible if I hadn't fixed it up.

But now the only things I ever alter are vintage coats from size XL to size M. :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
Nice work - any before shots? I tend to shy away from ball caps as I was never happy with how they looked on me (I also burn very easily on the back of my neck, so....), though I do now have a couple of the military style caps that have been big here for the last couple of years - you know the ones that are sort of like a ball cap, but have a cylindrical shape to the body rather than a dome? I find them ideal for those outfits where a fedora doesn't quite sit right and conditions are too warm for one of my wool caps. One thing I did go looking for on these was the shorter brim (from memory, I'd say these are about 2") - something about the vintage style caps that just looks so much better proportioned with those shorter bills. I'm sure the longer peak gives better shade / sun protection for the face, but it's just not anywhere near so good a look. And absolutely, the unstructured type are much more attractive.

Regarding the colour...... while I'm well aware they had bright colours back in the day, I think even now I always do a double take at vintage items that are so bright. I believe it comes down to the common perception that back in the day things were all muted, dull shades - I guess in large part because we're so used to seeing only black and whitre images from the period for the most part. (Interestingly enough, as a side note, there was a series on British television a few years ago called World War Two in Colour. It was, in essence, a documentary based around using colour footage of the war that had been suppressed by the authorities in the belief that support for the war effort might dwindle if it all appeared too "real" to the public, which colour footage might do.)

As a very young child watching old B&W films and TV shows from the 50s and 60s when my parents were growing up, I remember I actually thought that the world had been in black and white back then, and that colour had come along at the time colour TV did. lol

deanglen

IP- Thank you for your compliment. I've been addicted to modifying things all my life. Even fedoras.

Ed- I, too, used to think color came about when I was born. Thank you for your kind appreciation. The actual caps they wore were wool, and had 8 panels, but I've got two on order from Cooperstown and they will much more historically accurate.

dean

cooper

One of the Regulars
Deanglen please post pictures of the Cooperstown ballcaps. I have started collecting them as they are the most comfortable.
Heres a 46 Redsox cap. They have soft buckram and you can get a ton of different logos including solid colors to make your own. The B looks a little bright from the flash.
P1010201.jpg

P1010202.jpg

P1010203.jpg

deanglen

Thanks for the kind comments. I have a yellow eight panel on order from cooperstown that I've been waiting two months for. My other two eight panel caps have been modified and await pictures to post, which I will as soon as possible. The eight panel caps are very similar to the common contemporary six panel, but more "vintage" in my view. Will post pics soon. BTW, the colors are indeed that vibrant. The 39th FIS was coded with a yellow stripe above the checkerboard on the tail of the F-86 Sabres they flew.

dean

Duck

Practically Family
Great job Dean!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I always enjoy seeing your caps and I too like the early jet age.
I have bought a blue MA-1 that I want to patch up like early SAC.
If you have any info, please pm me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS