Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

retro make-up tips and tricks

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
MK said:
Let's not forget the invention of pancake make-up in the forties which gave a more matte look compared to the oily make-up of the 30's.
You can still buy pancake make-up, right? The pictures I see of 40's actresses are absolutely beautiful.
What I"ve started doing was put on a little bit of lipstick on my cheeks for blush, and then to finish the look, lightly dab on some powder blush.

magneto

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
You can still buy pancake make-up, right? The pictures I see of 40's actresses are absolutely beautiful.
For alarming some reason the max factor makeup (including the trad Pan-Cake) displays seem to have disappeared from my local drugstores! I dread to think why... :( ... I just had to buy MF Pan-Stik off Ebay after coming up empty-handed locally.
What I"ve started doing was put on a little bit of lipstick on my cheeks for blush, and then to finish the look, lightly dab on some powder blush.

Ah, now that sounds like a really useful tip, thanks! Using a little lipstick would provide shade commonality between cheeks and lips.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I know Target and Walgreens have stopped carrying Max Factor. I used to use their 2000 Calorie mascara in Auburn and I could no longer find it! I've been able to find Max Factor at Albertson's and Wal-Mart, nowhere else. :(

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I can't find Max Factor anywhere here either. I have resigned myself to ordering online, and Walgreens had the panstick makeup in most shades, including the lighter ones which are sometimes hard to find. They also sometimes offer free shipping.:)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Max Factor

Here's some info...

"Max factor, the cosmetics brand that once glowed from the cheeks of cinema starlets from Rita Hayworth to Marilyn Monroe, has been reduced to little more than a house brand for the decidedly unglamorous Wal-Mart.

The 97-year-old brand-with $400 million in global sales-created by the famed Hollywood makeup artist has just been delisted from Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid as well as Target. That cuts distribution from 26,000 to 10,000 stores-more than a quarter of them Wal-Marts." Advertising Age 3/13/06

Also, you can put in your zip code and it will pull up stores in your area that carry Max Factor. For me, it's only Wal-mart and Grocery stores.

http://www.maxfactor.com/user/get/where_to_buy.do

magneto

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Here's some info...

"Max factor, the cosmetics brand that once glowed from the cheeks of cinema starlets from Rita Hayworth to Marilyn Monroe, has been reduced to little more than a house brand for the decidedly unglamorous Wal-Mart.
Oh how the mighty have fallen...sniff... thanks for the "store locator" link texasgirl!
Could live without the redesign of the "new Max Factor" however...:(

Polly

New in Town
Max Factor

Sorry, I'm just a newbie lurking and reading your fascinating posts, but I thought that I'd better mention (before any UK-based girlies panic at the imminent removal of Max Factor from the shelves) that Max Factor is still doing fine and dandy here in England, with no sign of being down-sized. It's currently freely available in nearly every branch of Boots or Superdrug, including the pale pan-sticks!
By the way, I don't know if you can get Bourjois makeup in the States, but my Nan used to use it during the war. She told me that she used to use their blush in Rose Ambre; a colour they still manufacture today (and which, by coincidence, I use too!). She also swore by their Soir De Paris perfume - which incidentally is also still available as a (rather pricey) limited edition at good perfumeries.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Polly said:
By the way, I don't know if you can get Bourjois makeup in the States, but my Nan used to use it during the war. She told me that she used to use their blush in Rose Ambre; a colour they still manufacture today (and which, by coincidence, I use too!). She also swore by their Soir De Paris perfume - which incidentally is also still available as a (rather pricey) limited edition at good perfumeries.

Oh yes, Ulta sells Bourjois! I love their mascara. Coincidentally, I switched over to that after Target stopped carrying my beloved auburn Max Factor.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I love Bourjois too - especially their new red nail polish, it stays shiny for ages. The packaging is really cute too. If I hadn't discovered Besame, all my makeup would be Bourjois. Interestingly, the shade Cendres de Roses Brun (blush) was the first powder blush ever manufactured, and was apparently used by the French actress Sarah Bernhardt. Interesting if true.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Wow, aren't I the one for bringing up long forgotten topics.:p I'm in a quandry though. I want to lighten my complexion. Now this might seem a little odd, as I'm not even especially tan to begin with. However, since I do live in such a warm climate with lots of sunny days, I am darker than I would like to be. I love the fair, pale, glowing beauty of Edwardian ladies, and want to achieve that kind of tone. I do wear sunscreen almost no matter what, but still manage to always acquire more color than I want. And since I'm not yet comfortable enough to parade around everywhere with parasols(though I dearly love them) to afford even more protection, I'm reading up on home remedies and any sorts of proper lotions and powders to achieve the skin tone I want. I've come up with applying a mixture of lemon and cucmber juice as a lightener, and in terms of make-up, to use powder with zinc oxide in them. What I was wondering is if anyone here has undertaken a similar venture to share experiences, or even just if you could offer any suggestions, I would very much appreciate that. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LadyStardust said:
Wow, aren't I the one for bringing up long forgotten topics.:p I'm in a quandry though. I want to lighten my complexion. Now this might seem a little odd, as I'm not even especially tan to begin with. However, since I do live in such a warm climate with lots of sunny days, I am darker than I would like to be. I love the fair, pale, glowing beauty of Edwardian ladies, and want to achieve that kind of tone. I do wear sunscreen almost no matter what, but still manage to always acquire more color than I want. And since I'm not yet comfortable enough to parade around everywhere with parasols(though I dearly love them) to afford even more protection, I'm reading up on home remedies and any sorts of proper lotions and powders to achieve the skin tone I want. I've come up with applying a mixture of lemon and cucmber juice as a lightener, and in terms of make-up, to use powder with zinc oxide in them. What I was wondering is if anyone here has undertaken a similar venture to share experiences, or even just if you could offer any suggestions, I would very much appreciate that. :)

I used to have Pakistani roommates, who said that Noxema, when left on for 20 minutes or so, will help to remove a tan! I have no idea if it's true but they seemed convinced. They were constantly trying to have paler skin.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
LadyStarDust,

About all you can safely do is keep using the sunscreen and avoid the sun. Instead of parasols, what about a wide brimmed had. There are some really cute ones out there.

Most of the skin lightening products on the market are quite good but understand that they could make your skin more sensative to light and other products. Since you live in a warm climate you may just be one of those people that tans easily. Genetics plays are part in that also. My grandmother battled keeping fair back in the day. Unfortunately, she was one of those that tans in the shade.

Good luck and please be careful of what you use. Remember, victorian ladies used arsenic to keep their skin white.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
This thread has certainly been very helpful :) I use a lot of Bourjois stuff and was told a few years ago that the people who made this brand also produce make up for Chanel so the quality is more or less the same - I dont know how true it is but it makes me smile anyway. I havent tried the Max Factor pan make up but I will give it a whirl once my foundation runs out

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
You may also be able to get away with wearing a foundation that's one to two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. for chest, use white talcum powder to lighten.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I would not recommend any skin-bleaching products. As I understand, it can really harm your skin, and many of the ingredients are not healthy.

Stay with make-up instead!:)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Short of becoming a complete and total recluse, and living out the rest of your days in a cave, and only coming out at night.......lol :p
Go for the strongest sunscreen you can get, I use SPF 55, and wear a hat, or just go for it and use a parasol, I have a friend who does, and short of a few puzzled stares, she hasn't had any trouble.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner