Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of...............

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Maybe late-teens/early-20s

Dexter'sDame said:
Yes, in L.A. this past summer I saw the flapper-inspired fashions among young actresses...You had to closely to notice it; here in L.A. it's more flapper-inspired rather than a literal translation, and it's never the whole look with hair, makeup, shoes, etc..The L.A. interpretation has not yet trickled down to street fashion all that much here...(the details are expensive).

What I saw in downtown L.A. just a couple of weeks ago (in the Garment District), looked more like WWI-inspired fashion: long, somewhat frilly dresses with full waistlines, accompanied by large, boxy hats. I was actually taken aback, because the clothing strongly reminded me of some photographs that I have of my grandmother, taken about 1913. Whether or not this is somehow tied into Flapper-inspired fashion is a mystery to me, but it none-the-less took me for a loop. Has anyone else noticed this in other parts of the country (or world)?[huh]

Plus-Four

New in Town
Has anyone else noticed this in other parts of the country (or world)?
No, i am not. We live here at the countryside. Maybe in town it's different.

This photo looks (more or less) vintage. It's lovely.
Cadeautip-Beautylight_groot.jpg

It's from the book 'Beautylight'. In this book are pics of the last 20 years about fashion from Matthew Rolston.

Some pics: http://www.matthewrolston.com/1024x768/

Every era has it's own feminine. The last few years, shoes of women were nicer, more female. So did the clothing. Still a lot of jeans..........

Plus-Four.

Lillemor

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Quite frankly, as long as a woman (or a man for that matter) puts some effort into achieving a look, I can appreciate that.
-Dave

I sentiment the above.

I'm trying to pay more attention to men's golden era styles, learning more about them and finding out what might suit hub. I usually exercise no influence on his wardrobe because he's a casual conservative type who can go conservative classy and does so very well on his own but if I can get him to understand the advantages to vintage cuts and quality of fabrics, even if it's reproductions, then I'd be very happy.

Sorry, should've probably posted that sentence some where else.:eek:

Mojito, when I don't do 1950s retro inspired (I'm still in the very early stages where it's limited what I can do and with the current financial situation.....) I like to give a classic "modern" outfit a 1920s feel through accessories (I ruined a vintage jet necklace with beads from the 19th Cent. that were re-strung in the 1920s:( ) era correct looking make-up and any piece of garment that has some 1920s touches or details. Right now, that's limited to two retro 1920s dresses that are at least longer than most retro 20s dresses you see around and I may be able to do something with some of my long wool and knit skirts with the new knit slip overs, twin sets and vests my MIL gave me.

Mojito

One Too Many
I think that's a great idea, Lillemor - there are wonderful accessory touches from the 20s that can be used with any look. I have a Lee Mathews dress on today with a beaded sequinned cami under the low cut bodice of the dress...but I'm wearing it with a long beaded necklace in 20s style.

Just found out that one of my favourite contemporary designers, the brilliant Michal Negrin, has introduced a new collection to commemorate her 20 years in business - Memories from the Twenties. She's incorporated 20s themes into her work before - I own necklaces, rings, a top and even a crystal embellished business card holder with flappers on them, but these new pieces - complete with the Victorian and Edwardian influences as well - are just gorgeous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80