Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Alden Repro "Indy" 405 Boots ...

speedmaster

New in Town
These boots were delivered Saturday, thought some of you guys might like them. I've included a few pics, the full review is at the link below.

Review: Alden Repro "Indy" 405 Boots
"Remember the old computer science problem called the traveling salesman problem? I was thinking about it when wondering if there was a more direct route from Massachusetts (where Alden shoes are made) to Western, NY, one that didn't go through Honolulu. ;-)
Thanks to my wife and the okay on an early Christmas gift, we ordered a pair of the limited edition Alden Reproduction "Indy" 405 boots in cognac calfskin! After a long trip from Massachusetts to NY, via Honolulu, I have them today. ;-)"
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/review-alden-repro-indy-405-boots.html

ForLeatherSoul.jpg

Table1.jpg

BootsOn2.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Excellent boots! I wish mine had a full leather lining. Leather Soul do offer some nice semi-custom 405s. I always admired the whiskey shell cordovan but i doesn't really seem to be a really wearable alternative. I like the lighter shade of your calfskin Aldens very much! Enjoy wearing them!

BTW: Here is a pic of mine. Four years old, once resoled, wax treated.

4008084223_c754c24dfa.jpg

4008084237_866b6c26c0.jpg

speedmaster

New in Town
JanSolo, those boots look great! What can you tell me about the leather lining? I know what the inside of mine look like, but I can't picture what they would look like without the leather lining. Do you have any more pics?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

thank you. Well the standard Alden 504 is cotton lined with leather re-enforcements in the heel- and toecap. The full leather lining on your pair is a major improvement.

You can see part of the cotton duck on mine in the upper picture.

Here's the link to the full thread I started:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44648

PS: There is also a watch bit in it for the WIS

Again, very nice boots!

speedmaster

New in Town
Thanks, guys! I've made a bunch of additions to the text of the review since I originally posted it.

Edward

Bartender
Very nice. I'm hoping to fit in a holiday in NYC (it's been far too long...) over the next couple of years, and a visit to a shop to maybe purchase a pair of Alden Indys is definitely a must.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Here's mine...bought about 5 years ago

I haven't had them resoled, but I have got spare heels from Alden... I'm sure they'll serve me another decade, or more...

The original laces have long gone, unfortunately...
Alden001.jpg

Alden002.jpg

Alden004.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Speedmaster,

I wouldn't mind exchanging them with your new ones if the size is the same lol

Yes, I agree with you they're quite heavy...and yes they look a bit "dressy" when new, which may or may not bad depending on your intention.

I can see yours have got leather lining...Is that because they're made especially for the company Leather Soul? If I remember correctly, I got mine from Alden store in San Fransisco in 2003, or 2004...

hboogz

New in Town
speedmaster said:

They look great! The collaboration between Context and Alden producing the ROY boot looks great. I've always loved the silhouette and slim toe-box of the Alden Indy. Hopefully Christmas will be generous towards me this year.

Harry.

speedmaster

New in Town
blethook said:
Speedmaster,
I wouldn't mind exchanging them with your new ones if the size is the same lol
Yes, I agree with you they're quite heavy...and yes they look a bit "dressy" when new, which may or may not bad depending on your intention.
I can see yours have got leather lining...Is that because they're made especially for the company Leather Soul? If I remember correctly, I got mine from Alden store in San Fransisco in 2003, or 2004...

LOL! ;-)

Yes, the leather lining was an upgrade, part of the collaboration between Alden and Leather Soul. I did put some mink oil on them yesterday, which darkened them a bit.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Very nice.

I am wondering about the outer sole. Why isn't there any pattern on it?
It looks slippery, even tho you say its not.

Do you people use these all year round except when its snow and ice?

matei

One Too Many
I wear mine in snow and ice (although we don't get much of either where I live in the UK), they did OK - in light of the fact that there is absolutely no sole pattern!

To my surprise I wasn't falling all over the place.

speedmaster

New in Town
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Very nice.
I am wondering about the outer sole. Why isn't there any pattern on it?
It looks slippery, even tho you say its not.
Do you people use these all year round except when its snow and ice?

Griff, definitely wondered about that myself. So far they seem fine, though I fully expect them to be problematic on ice. ;-)

blethook

One of the Regulars
Mine are slippery

in snow & even on well-buffed (marble) floor...

On the other hand, the soles are quite wide and therefore provide extra stability...

Makes me wonder how Indiana Jones actually managed to do his stunts on these boots lol

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
blethook said:
in snow & even on well-buffed (marble) floor...

On the other hand, the soles are quite wide and therefore provide extra stability...

Makes me wonder how Indiana Jones actually managed to do his stunts on these boots lol

You're quite right, Indy obviously never went to the supermarket. They are a slippery nightmare on smooth supermarket 'marble'. No traction at, all makes shopping very tiring! LOL

mike

Call Me a Cab
Kt Templar said:
You're quite right, Indy obviously never went to the supermarket. They are a slippery nightmare on smooth supermarket 'marble'. No traction at, all makes shopping very tiring! LOL

Would you say... it makes it an ADVENTURE?! lol

speedmaster

New in Town
A quick update. After a few weeks I noticed that the tongue on the right boot would continually slide over to the outside of my shin. Not tragic but certainly annoying. I sent them back to Alden and they tacked/stitched the tongues in place and sent them back to me. That seemed to fix it. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97