Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revolutionary Road

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
One of my favorite books by Robert Yates. I hope the movie does it justice. It "looks" good so far.
wi_kate_070720_ssv.jpg

wi_leo_070720_ssv.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Also one of my favourite books.

I am dreading this film because often my favourite books are massacred in their move to film. Ask the Dust is a good example. Also, Sam Mendes covered similair territory in his first film (suburban angst - though of the more overwrought, Douglas sirk variety - in American Beauty), and although The Road to Perdition looked good (and is highly regarded around here), I found it a very slight, unconvincing, Disneyfied piece of dinner-theatre.

Yates has a sharp eye and well-tuned ear for the telling detail - traits that anyone who can cast Tom Hanks as a feared mob assasain probably doesn't have. I'm afraid it's going to be all about the costumes and the art direction again.

I sure hope I'm wrong though.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I had to bring this one back

I've been excited about this movie since first hearing about it. Though it is from my favorite book and it's more about internal dialog than action, I think it might turn out well. Sam Mendes is directing, and he's done a great job with those movies that are all about the struggle within the charaters' minds.
See Jarhead (which I thought would be terrible, until I saw it), Road to Perdition, and American Beauty for exactly this type of work.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They'll also be collecting on the hype of the Titanic-star reunion. The preview even seems to have a steamy scene in a car that is reminiscent of the boat movie.

B

BAZ

Watched them film some of this down here by me. Looked GREAT, everyone dressed up, cool cars!!

Jazzcat

New in Town
Liked it

I enjoyed this movie. It was a little depressing, but well done. Thomas Newman, as always, provided some great music. The clothing and back drops were well thought out IMHO.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I saw the preview over the summer while watching Mad Men, so I got the book and read it. It is a depressing story so I do expect the movie to be as well. It isn't playing here until this coming weekend but I am looking forward to it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Yorker (cannot remember if it was Anthony Lane or David Denby, sorry) hated it, but I think I'll see it and I'll report back. Perhaps today.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow! This is a good one. Kate Winslet is incredible, Leo is no slouch, and the director (Kate's husband, Sam Mendes) made my day by staying true to such a wonderful book. Thai food and the saddest movie I can remember seeing have made for a great Saturday.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I saw the movie first, then read the book, then bought the DVD.

So much of the sets, etc., were right on, but did anyone else notice modern-looking fluorescent lights in the school scene at the beginning? They paid so much detail to every other scene, I thought it was strange they couldn't find a school with vintage lights.

vintage68

Practically Family
As far as time period, this movie was a little late for me. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't rent it again, which is how I know if I really like something. The ending was just too depressing.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
One of the worst movies I have seen. I wanted to get my money back and wash my brain of it all. I was so depressed after watching it. I knew nothing about it going in and paid for my lack of knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner