Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbon source

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Funnily enough, I was just looking at a whole table of Offray ribbons at the SF gift show the other week. I know basically nothing about quality ribbon, but they had a whole lot of grosgrain. My dad is actually quite friendly with the Lion ribbon west coast guy.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, I just bought some of the ribbon from Winchester. I got the Bone color in the 9/16" and 13/16". I went with the lightest color so I could dye it other colors. So far it seems a little better than the Schiff 705, and it takes the dye well. Rayon content is 60% for the Offray, I couldn't find content percentages on the Schiff spools or on the website.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
...I just bought some of the ribbon from Winchester. I got the Bone color...I went with the lightest color so I could dye it other colors.

Nice idea on dyeing the ribbon, what brand of dye are you using and do you have any pictures you could share? I had just ordered black in 9 ligne from Winchester but I might need to get some in bone to do the same.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Most modern day grosgrain ribbon hast that type of edge on them. it has an upside because you can hide marks in the teeth caused by sewing.
But nicer qualities are smoother. They are harder to find for sure.

http://www.mokubany.com/
I go to this store in Paris ( I live in Belgium) but they ship and have a store in New york. Good stuff!! and you can buy a small amount.
Bare in mind what type of bow you want before you order because the amount changes depending on the bow.

Cotton works but I always put silk grosgrain on beaverfelt, since you have such a good quality felt...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
@EstherWeis thanks for the site. I only wish that they had some product listings online, looks like I will need to call them and see if I can get some samples.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageRibbons?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count

This is one of several Etsy stores that sell extra nice vintage ribbons and for next to nothing prices. I have ordered from this Etsy Store before and the ribbon was far nicer to work with then I would have ever imagined....PLUS one time I was looking for a ribbon size and color they did not have...the next day they found it and contacted me with the information on whom was selling it.

Aside from color and size and type of ribbon, for hats to be able to "swirl" the ribbon for placement on a hat is very important. Good vintage is a breeze to swirl.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Pics as requested.
First is the original bone on left. The dye is iDye Brilliant Blue, lighter shade was done with tap temp hot water, with salt added. Even though instructions don't call for it, I always set dyes for cotton or other plant fibers with some soda ash to be sure. The darker blue was done the same, but I brought the dye bath up to about 140-150 degrees F.
Second is on my old Young's, Same bone color ribbon,the color is Dylon Koala Brown, an older dye with seperate fixative packet I found at a thrift store. I heated the dye bath on this one as well to get the deeper color.
bfc946e3043465ef8f938ea998f82c1b.jpg
e482c2e574f742d9c2d4e8996a5bb770.jpg

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Pics as requested.
First is the original bone on left. The dye is iDye Brilliant Blue, lighter shade was done with tap temp hot water, with salt added. Even though instructions don't call for it, I always set dyes for cotton or other plant fibers with some soda ash to be sure. The darker blue was done the same, but I brought the dye bath up to about 140-150 degrees F.
Second is on my old Young's, Same bone color ribbon,the color is Dylon Koala Brown, an older dye with seperate fixative packet I found at a thrift store. I heated the dye bath on this one as well to get the deeper color.

Nice work on the dyeing. I may try that myself, thanks for sharing.

EstherWeis

Vendor
You can get some samples. in paris they also send pictures.
I don't know how they do it in NY.
I have the books, so if you know what color you need i can snap a pic so you can see if it's worthwhile to go through all the trouble of getting a sample.
If you want silk the colorrange isn't that big...

EstherWeis

Vendor
d2476356f89adc1e1f5f4630f17e48f2.jpg
d7a80e3e40cb06540613fb3ed4f27937.jpg

These are the silk colors from mokuba.
You can order them in 5 dif. sizes. You have silk grosgrain and silk taffeta grosgrain.

The taffeta is nice for more fancy hats since its really thin and has a nice shine to it.

The regular grosgrain is very supple and nice to work with. Looks nice on pretty much everything. Color range isn't all that great though...

They aren't cheap, but for Europe they are the best out there. I have no clue how the qualities are in the usa
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Fedoras4Life

New in Town
Pics as requested.
bfc946e3043465ef8f938ea998f82c1b.jpg
e482c2e574f742d9c2d4e8996a5bb770.jpg
Does the grosgrain from Winchester have a finished edge or is it saw tooth like petersham?

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
https://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageRibbons?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count

This is one of several Etsy stores that sell extra nice vintage ribbons and for next to nothing prices. I have ordered from this Etsy Store before and the ribbon was far nicer to work with then I would have ever imagined....PLUS one time I was looking for a ribbon size and color they did not have...the next day they found it and contacted me with the information on whom was selling it.

Aside from color and size and type of ribbon, for hats to be able to "swirl" the ribbon for placement on a hat is very important. Good vintage is a breeze to swirl.

Great resource!! Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo