Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Richard Chamberlain's "Allan Quatermain" hat

Quatermain

New in Town
Howdy folks! I'm the rare kind of person who actually LIKED the Richard Chamberlain "King Solomon's Mines" movie. So I'm interested to find out if anyone knows where I can find a replica of his hat. In fact I like his whole outfit but I think that was custom made. But can I get any leads on that hat? Would love to have one!

vlcsnap2011052212h26m05.png

00833.jpg

F2-04-688.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can also use the search thingy and look for threads on Safari Hats. There are a number of threads on Safari hats and equipment. You may have to find something similar and the customize it to get the exact look. There are some threads on the pugaree (spelling) the hat band on them too.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
And while we're talking safari hats (I've had an inexpensive one for years) does anyone know of a source for animal skin bands? I have one in zebra but would love to add one in giraffe . . . Crocodile and leopard are far too expensive.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And while we're talking safari hats (I've had an inexpensive one for years) does anyone know of a source for animal skin bands? I have one in zebra but would love to add one in giraffe . . . Crocodile and leopard are far too expensive.

Hi Sarge, not to be a complete creep about the whole thing, but the idea is that you shoot the animal and THEN you get to wear the hatband. From reading Capstick and others, the biggest faux pas is to wear a leopard hatband on your first safari. I'm having the Major build a Safari hat / Rough rider hat but with the 1898 bow no pugaree or skins.

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike is right ... though in most of the world people wouldn't know

Wearing the skin without shooting the animal is like wearing spurs on your boots as a fashion statement. If you stay away from REAL cowboys, no one will probably care. However, it would be humiliating to just be in the presense of the genuine when you are a wannabe.

I suppose it would be like adopting ghetto-wear baggy pants and sideways caps out here in the hinterland, though I really wouldn't know.

Sam

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hi Sarge, not to be a complete creep about the whole thing, but the idea is that you shoot the animal and THEN you get to wear the hatband. From reading Capstick and others, the biggest faux pas is to wear a leopard hatband on your first safari. I'm having the Major build a Safari hat / Rough rider hat but with the 1898 bow no pugaree or skins.

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny

Ethically, that is completely correct. And I have shot a zebra though the entire skin was made into the absolutely necessary rug so unfortunately there wasn't enough stripy hide left for the band. A giraffe is problematical. They are huge and must be shot in the morning to allow time to cut up that enormous carcass. The next problem is what do do with the hide. My house is far too small to make it into a rug and far, far, too small for even a half mount. So, since they are regularly culled on cattle and/or game ranches I have to wonder where the skins go . . .

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ethically, that is completely correct. And I have shot a zebra though the entire skin was made into the absolutely necessary rug so unfortunately there wasn't enough stripy hide left for the band. A giraffe is problematical. They are huge and must be shot in the morning to allow time to cut up that enormous carcass. The next problem is what do do with the hide. My house is far too small to make it into a rug and far, far, too small for even a half mount. So, since they are regularly culled on cattle and/or game ranches I have to wonder where the skins go . . .

Well, since you've gotten a Zebra in the past, buying would probably be seen as being o.k. (Not my job to be the judge here though. I ain't wearing a bluegill or quail hatband which is what I'd be entitled to). Just an observation from the zoo, but IF you buy a giraffe hatband, will anyone be able to tell it's not a Hereford? I mean the pattern on a giraffe is pretty big right? Maybe you could hit Texas during the rattlesnake roundup...

Another whopping $0.02

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many

I always hear the giraffes get smuggled out of the country and sold to McDonalds ... can't prove anything, but that's what I heard

Sam

Oldsarge

One Too Many
On my first safari, we drove through the ranch workers' village and there was a stripped out giraffe skeleton on the ground. Do you know that the skull on a big bull giraffe is three feet long? What an enormous animal. The workers on this ranch each received meat as part of their wages and the giraffe was a portion of it. By the way, you can smell them a hundred yards down wind. They smell like rotting acacia!

Quatermain

New in Town
I have a much better photo.

Anyone? By the way, the previous Quatermain hat threads all addressed the Stewart Granger version. There was about one mention of Chamberlain and it was as a joke. ;-) That's why I made this thread. I appreciate your help, guys. Here's an extra.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Although it's not the exact same hat, the last couple of pics remind me of the Akubra Adventurer as sold by Everything Australian (not the one sold by David Morgan). Check it out, maybe that will fit your needs. You're on your own on the hatband though! LOL

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Of the Akubras, Chaimberlains's looks quite a bit like my Lightning Ridge acquired from David Morgan. I trimmed the brim down to 2-7/8", and it wouldn't surprise me if the movie hat was around that also...but appearances could be deceiving and depend somewhat on facial proportions. The reason I got that one was the Heritage Felt issue - I'm kinda sold on the benefits and think it'll last longer with less risk of shrinkage or tapering (er, more than it already is).

It's a good hat. But I ain't shot no leopard and don't plan on doing so except in self-defense!

- Bill

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I can't imagine anyone actually wearing a leopard skin band in Africa. The fur is thick and it would be dreadfully hot. That may be another reason that zebra became the standard. They are more common, provide excellent eating (trust me on this!), and the coat is thinner. Crocodile might be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran